VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

new website: EXTRA! EXTRA! WEBSITE DOES 180
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:51 am    Post subject: new website: EXTRA! EXTRA! WEBSITE DOES 180 Reply with quote

Hi
OK I have to be honest here. I actually really liked the last site. But after awhile I grew tired of the whole thing. There was really not much to it. It just kind of sat there and was loud and yes even a little obnoxious.
This is really like a 180 from the other one. Let me know if this one passes.
Thanks I appreciate your help!
This is just a mock up so none of the links work. None of the demos are ready to go..... click here.

Last edited by Gp on Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

honestly, it's a little too bright and busy for my tastes. Do you need the alternating shades of green?
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Greg,

My initial reaction was: I had been transported back in time to a Laugh In episode intro. At least I think that was it...or maybe Sonny & Cher or was it Tora, Tora, Tora?

I'll also mention that the color choices are fairly jarring and not complementary of each other. I liked the main part of your logo (gHobo Happy but I found the wrap-around text slogan difficult to read as it was pretty busy.

Hope this helps some.
Gp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good I'm glad you are reacting. Thanks for the input
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It did hurt me old eyes a bit - purple and green do go well together but you might find a less glary (is there such a word?) combination.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the idea of combining the G and P but I wonder about the dot in the center of the "G"?
It looks like the head of a stick figure man to me.

The green and green makes me think of an environmental site, actually.

I REALLY like the bold colors idea, but I think these might need adjusting.

Last edited by Deirdre on Mon Jul 23, 2007 2:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i actually like the colors - but i would desaturate the purple a bit - it is a bit "glary". I get the "stick figure" bit too ... looks like he's bent over. not that i don't like it ... just not sure what the "dot" means.

Gp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually you are pretty close with the stick figure idea. My bro-in-law designed it. If you look at the space inside the letters you will see the picture. The dot part is actually the eye. the space inside the g is the head and it's the mouth where the p and g intersect. (the part just right of the dot) The space inside the p is the mic. So fill up the insides of the spaces within my initials and remove the actual letters and it's picture.
He sent me over an illustration about it but I have yet to figure all of godaddy out yet Hopefully I explained it ok.
The colors seem a little bright. When I put the text in on the left side. Which will be in white. It pulls things together and softens the main picture.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 4:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd dump the dot and skip trying make a picture out of negative space unless it's really obvious and, more importantly, relevant to your branding.

K.I.S.S.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
Hopefully I explained it ok.

My dear—if it needs that much explaining, it's not working.

This is the best example of the use of negative space.
Pretty straightforward and apropos.

Gp

PostPosted: Mon Jul 23, 2007 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate all the comments. I'll take all of your comments under consideration.
For me the logo is just Gp. I've never looked at it any differently than it just being 2 letters joined together. The positive and negative space thing doesn't really come into play at all for me. Most people view it like I do. (not trying to justify here...just talking....I am always open to change)
You are the first who have asked for an explanation. I had that same logo on my last site. Was never asked what it meant. It was up for almost a year. I'm glad you asked. I'll give it some thought.
What I have found out about this new one is. They either love it or hate it. Just where it needs to be.
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 10:09 am    Post subject: Web-site Critique Reply with quote

Greg, I loved the description of how you came up with "It's That Voice"...

I'm concerned about the size of the background image... and the design, albeit fun, is a bit distracting. I'd love to see the page with your logo as it is, but a white background... Leave the sidebar as it is... however, the right side content area white with your logo... It should stand out then...
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Jul 28, 2007 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I gotta agree re: the competing background. Just for kicks I copied the image and played around with several alternatives, mainly playing with color, saturation, etc. At first nothing I did could help the logo overcome the starburst in the background. Even when taking out all color and making the GP logo solid black, the starburst still reigns. However, when I applied a bit of blur to the background, that helped a LOT to let the logo stand out. Right now the sharp background competes with the sharp foreground. Making the background softer (color aside) allows the the foreground to stand out more effectively. Another way to "soften" the background without actually blurring it would be to reduce the contrast between the two greens. Maybe a combination of those two ideas?

On a side note, take the whole image and desaturate it completely, and notice how similar the GP's tone is to the lighter tone in the starburst. Squint your eyes and the GP nearly vanishes. That's possibly another reason why that purple color doesn't work well. While the colors are clearly different, the underlying tonal value is very similar. Just a wild theory.
Gp

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've posted another website back up. This is a mock up links are non functional. I totally changed the way the site looks. take a look! click it

Last edited by Gp on Tue Jul 31, 2007 8:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Tue Jul 31, 2007 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very very creative, sir.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: