VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

USB mic suggestions
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
zrktoots

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbin -- Thanks. The version of WavLab I have, which I think I got as part of the package when I purchased my Pinnacle software is so "lite" that it doesn't have the MP3 conversion option (which is why I am seriously considering actually purchasing new software) so I was hoping to find a way to record on either Audacity or Reaper so I could avoid the step of having to convert to MP3 through another program. Are you on a PC using a Snowball and, if so, what software are you using? Thanks.

Arlene Kahn
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 1:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arlene,

Could you not record in WaveLab, and then load your file into Audacity (for example) and then edit and convert from there?
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
zrktoots

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I could, but was hoping to skip a step. I'm not all that well versed in any of this and the last time I tried to use Audacity I couldn't get the MP3 Lame to work (I apparently saved it in the wrong place) so I'm hoping that I did it right this time. Before I got the Snowball I was using Reaper to record because I managed to download the MP3 Lame in the right spot. I'll give it a go and hope it all works. Thanks for taking the time to respond.

Arlene
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
the Blue Snowball as a usb mic only records using Windows recorder.

i use my snowball with Audition 1.5 and 2.0

zrktoots

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2007 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool. I am going to look into that program. I'm taking it that, since you seem to have bought the upgrade, you're very happy with the way Audition is working with the Snowball. Thanks for responding.

Arlene
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've been pleased with it - just remember to download the applet for increased gain (earlier in this thread) it helps a LOT.

zrktoots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 12:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd -- Interesting thing happened when I tried to download the applet. Got an error message from Microsoft suggesting that I stop downloading the program because it may destabilize my Windows program. At first I thought maybe I had tried to download the MAC version so I closed the file and started again and made sure I clipped on the Windows version. Got the same warning. Did you get the same warning when you downloaded the applet? any idea why I'm getting that warning? Thanks.

Arlene
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, arlene, i didn't have that problem at all ... i just tried it again with no issue ... winXP-pro.

zrktoots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Todd, thanks. I'm working on the general XP so maybe that's why it's happening. What exactly do the applets do and are they absolutely necessary? Here's another question. Voices.com has been stating that we should add watermarks to our auditions. Since I'm way new to all of this recording stuff have little idea how to do that. I've been playing around with Reaper effects, just adding the FX by highlighting the take just to hear what the Fx sounds like, but it would take me forever to go through all of the Fx on the program. Do you watermark and, if so, what do you use (i.e., what's the effect called)? Thanks for your help.

Arlene
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the "gain increase" applet increases the input level of the mic - so you don't have to turn up the volume so much - which decreases background noise. i don't watermark at all, some folks do. i think there are a couple of threads here talking about that subject.

zrktoots

PostPosted: Sat Sep 01, 2007 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks. I wasn't watermarking my auditions and the only reason I even considered it because it was specifically mentioned in a lead. Since not all of the leads had that direction, it may be only for certain people who may be suspect. I think out of a great sense of caution, I'll hold off downloading the applets until I can figure out why I'm getting that warning message. I'd rather be safe than sorry. You've been a huge help. Thanks.

Arlene
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Interesting thing happened when I tried to download the applet. Got an error message from Microsoft suggesting that I stop downloading the program because it may destabilize my Windows program. At first I thought maybe I had tried to download the MAC version so I closed the file and started again and made sure I clipped on the Windows version. Got the same warning. Did you get the same warning when you downloaded the applet? any idea why I'm getting that warning? Thanks.

I received the same message, but downloaded anyway. Everything is fine. You'll receive a compressed application file. After you click on it, The program will prompt you to plug in and unplug your mic. Everything runs fine.

Also, I found in some program settings, you can set up mic defaults, which I have done with the Snowball for Goldwave and Vox Studio. I use this mic just for travel and audition purposes and for IVRs, that works well with Vox studio, where quality is not critical.
zrktoots

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbin -- Thanks. I just had to change one setting on Reaper and Audacity to make it work with those programs so I'm going to start playing with my new toy. Trusting your experience, I'll go back and download the applet.

Arlene
zrktoots

PostPosted: Sun Sep 02, 2007 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bobbin -- Just downloaded the applets. No problems yet, knock wood. So thanks to everyone who responded to my questions about my new toy.

Arlene
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Mon Sep 03, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! (I wish it could be a bit cooler here in So. Cal. literally. It's been 105 for the past 2 days.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: