VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

An Amp That Works Well With Vista

View previous topic :: View next topic  
patfraley

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:15 pm    Post subject: An Amp That Works Well With Vista Reply with quote

I need help. I just got this question from one of my students..

I have a question about the pre-amp, a couple of user
reviews have mentioned that it does not work well with
Vista, see the 2 reviews on

http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/MAudio-MobilePre-USB-Portable-Audio-Interface?sku=701368

and one says that M-Audio has no plans to release drivers for Vista.

Do you know of people who have successfully used this pre-amp with Windows Vista?  I am buying a new laptop soon, it's all Vista now. Do you have other
recommendations for pre-amps?

Thanks a lot!! Pat
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Aug 01, 2007 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

Any reason you aren't going to use a Mac laptop? The MobilePre USB will work great with that.

On the other hand, according to M-Audio's site the Vista drivers are currently in beta so I think the reviewer who says they have no plans to release Vista drives isn't exactly on target. You'll find the link to the beta version of the drivers if you click here.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 02, 2007 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

which version of Vista is the person using?

Vista 32-bit is compatible with that device (the aforementioned beta drivers are for that OS only, not 64-bit).

But let's be a bit inventive, shall we?

It just so happens that Vista has this spiffy new feature (XP does too, apparently, under Programs>Accessories) called "Compatibility Mode".

To get to it, select a program icon (for the program you intend to install), and right-click, and then select Properties.

Then, select the clearly-marked Compatibility tab.

From there, select the compatibility mode you need (default is: Windows XP, Service Pack 2) - but options go all the way back to Windows 95.

If it works you have just successfully fooled your (presumably) XP-based software into thinking that it's installing under Windows XP (when it's actually installing under Vista).

YMMV, and as we all know, drivers aren't usually that bright ... however, using Compatibility Mode worked like a charm for someone else who was having a similar issue that I ran into last week.

EDIT: if this works, to whom do I send the invoice for service? Sticking out Tongue

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: