VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Problems with latest version of Adobe Audition

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:55 am    Post subject: Problems with latest version of Adobe Audition Reply with quote

Just downloaded latest version of Adobe Audition 2.0 (after a necessary computer re-boot) and can't get it and my Mackie Spike audio interface to get along.
I have checked the Audio Hardware Setup, checked the settings on the Control Panel of the computer (Windows XP Media Edition, 224 Gcool, but
can't get it to record the input from the mic. It will work briefly and then flatline.
I have tried recording with Audacity and it works fine so that's what makes me think it is an Adobe problem.
Haven't had a chance yet to try Mackie or Adobe tech support and thought I'd see if any of you techie-wiz dudes or dudettes had any suggestions. Got several gigs in the hopper and don't want to get caught with my audio down.
Also possibly worth mentioning: the Windows "Found New Hardware" wizard opens at start-up and searches for some kind of software for the Mackie, but doesn't find it. I don't remember any such software being required for the Mackie other than the ASIO driver and other drivers, which I have already downloaded and installed.
Any insights are welcome and encouraged!
Brett Mason
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, I don't have any answers for you, so this is more in the "moral support" type of response. I had a similar experience setting my system up last year, but it doesn't seem comparable to yours. After hours of setup (Windows XP, Cubase LE, PreSonus Firebox), I could record for a few moments and then it would drop out. I called PreSonus support, and was guided through to usual (you know, unplug your system, hold a paper bag over your head, turn around three times, etc.) and nothing worked. They poo-pooed the idea that it could be the Firebox, but after a number of calls I got them to agree to have it sent in for a look-see. Well, lo and behold, it was a faulty Firebox! The repaired unit was returned and I haven't had a problem since (fingers crossed, eyes toward heaven). I'd suggest starting with Adobe support since that was the latest add to your system. Good luck, and hopefully someone with more insight will post. Let us know how your problem is solved.

"Dare to be Yourself" - André Gide
Merry Merchants of Voice Over!
Mendicant
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Question: Do you use Skype? Or, any other Instant Messenger with Voice?

If so, you may have fallen into the trap of having it take over your sound card... you may click off the "Let Skype (or other VOIP service) adjust my audio settings" box, then reset your audio as you would or should have them under normal circumstances.

Good luck and Toodles

F2
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 5:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the suggestions and moral support, Brett and Frank. Still can't figure out what the problem is. I have trial versions of Audacity and Sound Forge on my computer and they are working fine, but Adobe is still being very tempermental! AAARGH! Angry

P.S. No Frank, I don't use Skype or Instant Messenger with voice.
CWToo

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2007 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rellis wrote:
I have trial versions of Audacity and Sound Forge on my computer and they are working fine, but Adobe is still being very tempermental! AAARGH! Angry

Does the latest version of Audition support Windows XP Media Edition? For instance, I think Pro Tools has problems with it.
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, here are some of the latest pieces of the puzzle....After experimenting with sample rates, bit rates, etc., I have gotten it to where it will record my voice in Multi-Track view, but still not in Edit view....but when I play back the audio file in Windows Media Player it sounds about a pitch lower than my normal voice. I tested files recorded with the trial version of Sound Forge in Windows Media Player and they sound normal...I have Tracktion editing software which came free with my Mackie Spike, but have never really liked it and have always found Audition to be much more intuitive. But after all this am considering biting the bullet and learning how to use Tracktion, even though it really seems to be designed more for musicians.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of the things which will fix one of your problems is: Click Device Properties> Click "Use this device in Edit View".

This "fix" will allow your usage of the Mackie in Edit View and Multitrack view.

Also check and see if you are using 16 or 32 bit (floating) in AA2. Using 16 bit is standard, 32 bit - interpolated by AA2 can be problematical.

Next step, go back to AA1.5. This version is simpler and well versed unless you really have-to-have MIDI.

Good luck.

Toodles

F2
Rob Ellis
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Aug 12, 2007 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank. I will try those remedies if I can just get the #*#!!! program open. Now I get a continual error message when I try to open it. Something is definitely wrong, and I may un-install and re-download.

When you say go back to AA 1.5, what do you mean and how do I do that? I originally bought AA last year and it was the 2.0 version. When I re-downloaded it last week it was still 2.0 although there have possibly been some changes in the last year that I am not aware of. But it was never this problematic until I had to re-download it last week.

I'm trying Tracktion again and it may serve as a temporary or even permanent replacement depending on whether I can get the bugs worked out with Audition.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: