VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Playing mp3s on WMP - please help me!!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 10:55 am    Post subject: Playing mp3s on WMP - please help me!!! Reply with quote

Hi there,

You all might recall a few months ago I asked this question. At the time, I tried your tips, but was unsuccessful and felt like a numbskull, so I just let the issue pass quietly into the night, swallowing the fact that I could only play mp3s on my studio computer via Windows Media Player (WMP) if I'd not opened Pro-Tools for the day, or not play them at all.

Ok, here's the deal. I'm really losing my patience as now I have to transcribe a 21 minute, 19 mb, mp3 that someone sent me for a book (about vo... so this IS vo related) I'm copyediting. I cannot open the mp3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! AAARRRGGGHHHHHHHHHH! Keep in mind my patience is also short b/c I've had a power surge today and internet problems out the wazzoo. Sorry for my emotional outburst there.

Ok, so the mp3 is on my client's FTP site. I click on it, it opens in WMP. It buffers, and buffers. It's 19mb. Now, I know it's not going to play b/c I've had Pro-Tools open today. Although, if restarted my computer and played it before opening Pro-Tools, it would likely work fine... but that's just silly. I should be able to play an mp3 on this darn computer whenever I want to!!

Suggestions in the past have been: go to Control Panel, then to Sounds, and check out the audio settings. They're set to my MBox2, and there are no options to change them... and even if there were, I would hesitate to do so since I don't want to screw up anything with ProTools.

Another suggestion was that maybe my soundcard wasn't loaded. I don't think that's the case since I can play mp3's, etc via WMP, but only before I open Pro-Tools.

Another suggestion was to go to My Computer, to Tools, then to Folder Options, then to File Types. Did that... it's set to play mp3s via WMP.

I thought maybe I could import the audio into ProTools, but when I click on "Audio to Track" and browse and find the file and click it, I get a message "Randy's Book.wpl is unreadable by ProTools." I don't know why it thinks it's a wpl file (whatever that is)... I save it as an mp3.

I'm at my wit's end. I've tried uploading it to my little mp3 player, but can't for some reason. Partially b/c I think I don't have the space on the player. I just want to play this via WMP or ProTools and listen to it via my headphones so I can transcribe it. Lord, is that asking too much? Rolls Eyes

I thank you all in advance for your help! Caryn

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Do NOT start ProTools when you want to use your WMP. ProTools takes over all of the audio on your computer.

Also, Right click and Save As, the file from your friends site. Check to see if the file has been mis-named. If the files is misnamed (.wml) re-name the file as .wma or .mp3 and you should be in business.

Good luck

Toodles

F2
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

copy the file from your clients FTP site to your local machine. That way you can work with it properly and you won't need to do any buffering.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Jeff said. Right-click, save-as, voila!
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Aug 14, 2007 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I appreciate the help so much.... you all are wonderful... (and the phone call Frank... that's so nice of you, and sorry I didn't get to call you back). I actually couldn't save the file to my hard drive, for some reason. And, duh, I figured out why it was buffering for so long... b/c my Internet connection is no good as of that lovely power surge this am.

I spent time on the phone with Comcast this afternoon to discover that something's apparently amiss with my internet cable line outside the house... and they're sending a tech out THURSDAY afternoon. <sigh>

So, now I'm at my hubby's office to get caught up and transcribe that mp3 for the book, etc.

THANKS for your help guys... and for verifying that I cannot run WMP if ProTools has been open. I just didn't want to believe it was true... but I guess it is. Frown

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: