VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ProTools error message

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: ProTools error message Reply with quote

I keep getting this message when I try to record or playback. Not always, but more and more today.

"Audio processing is conflicting with other CPU tasks. If this occurs often, reducing the H/W Buffer Size in the Playback Engine Dialog may help prevent the problem. (-9129)"

My Playback Engine Dialog reads like this:
MBox2 Settings:
H/W Buffer Size: 2048 Samples
RTAS Processors: 2 Processor
CPU Usage Limit: 85%

DAE Playback Buffer:
Size: Level 2 (Default)

Now, I've been getting this message since the beginning of time, and I swear before it said to INCREASE my buffer size... that's why it is where it is now. So now it's telling me to decrease it? I'm confused. Anyone want to take a stab at explaining what this means.

BTW, I'm not running anything else but IE on my computer, other than ProTools. I'm sure there's stuff running in the background though... maybe that's the problem?

Many thanks, techie gurus!!!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn, you've just hit upon the reason why Pro Tools on windows completely sucks and why I dropped it in favor of Audition. Chances are, you won't be able to fix the problem by adjusting your settings. The problem is that you have some sort of incompatible hardware. Pro Tools is NOTORIOUSLY picky about the hardware it runs on under Windows.

I had this exatct same problem on 2 different computers and no matter how much I tweaked my settings, I couldn't get it to work. So I dumped Pro tools and haven't looked back. Suggest you consider doing the same.
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AHA! Thanks Jeff!!!!! That's really good to know. You're so smart!!

I guess, for now, I'll stick with it. Sweetwater installed what appears to be a lot of needless stuff on my computer, so maybe it's one of those programs. I've been hesitant to delete any of them b/c I thought if they put 'em there, there must be a reason? Things like: MelodyneEssential, Live 5.2, NeroStartSmart (I actually have used that though), Propellerhead/Reason adapted for DigiDesign, IKMultimedia, FXpansion, Acronis True Image, and the Sweetwater Remote, Sweetwater Utilities with the Sony Demo Installers and Waves Demo Installers..... I use none of these. And, I've looked thru everything they sent and there's no good explanation or instructions for them.

Think I can get rid of some of them?

c.

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

Look at your startup file (you know, the little icons on the bottom right side of your screen) . How many do you have? If you have lots, email me and I will walk you through how to make them go away.

Your computer needs to be optimized to work with audio and PT specifically.

Toodles

F2
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would dump all programs that you're not using. Though to be honest, the likelihood of the problem being with one of those is slim.

Do a web search for the error message you're getting and you'll find all kinds of people running into the same problem. With no solution.

Sorry, don't mean to be Debbie Downer or anything, but this is a real problem with Pro Tools that Digidesign apparently has no interest in fixing.

Is there a reason you need to use Pro Tools? I found it to be extreme overkill and a real resource hog on Windows.
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh and check here to make sure you've got your computer configured correctly:

http://duc.digidesign.com/showflat.php?Cat=&Number=802377&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=7&fpart=1#802377
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL.... it's ok, I would NEVER think you were Debbie Downer... maybe David Downer, but not Debbie.

Just kidding. I didn't think you were a downer.

Reason I want to use ProTools? Because I have it and I'm too cheap to buy new software, AND then have to deal with removing ProTools, etc and get everything to work. It works now... it's just annoying to get that message. And, today it was prevalent. I decreased the whatever it was I was supposed to decrease by one notch, and it seems to be less frequent. I just wasn't sure if it was a warning that my computer was going to take a dump or what.

Thanks for the link too... I'll check it out and make sure it's all good. THANKS!

Frank, on the right side, I have two programs I'm not using...something called "Sound Effect" and Windows Messenger. I THINK I know how to change the start up programs. Now, on the bottom left side, I have five there that I don't need. But I think that's just a shortcut menu. I'll PM you if I need help. THANKS!

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unless you are planning to use Win Messenger while you are working I would definitely remove that program from your start up. WinMess uses a LOT of resources, even in the start-up mode.

I believe there is an area in WinMess which allows you to not have it run on start-up. I could be wrong, but not often on that.

Good luck and Toodles

F2
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

In the Windows Messenger preferences you'll find a check box for "Start Windows Message when Windows starts" or words to that effect. Uncheck that box to be sure it doesn't run on start-up. That should free up some of your resources.

I too have run into this issue on one of my Windows computers, specially an older laptop that I could never get working really well with Pro Tools. However, that's the only computer I couldn't get working with ProTools.

I hope this helps, at least a little.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
indymandy
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Caryn,

For the record, I can hardly believe I actually have something to add, but here it is!

I get that message, too. It comes and goes. Almost ALWAYS comes when I (forget and) have the internet open (I use Firefox on my Mac). So I close internet, and be on my way. If Protools is the only thing I have open, it rarely shows up.

But really what I came to say, is that...

while online with Digidesign support one day for Protools stuff, the technician suggested that I always plug in my MBox to the USB port that was closest to me (there are only two). He gave his reason; something about that port being more dedicated to (something). Fine by me. I just obeyed.

It's a SMALL thing, but you may want to try it.

~Amanda
vic44139

PostPosted: Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its time for some RAM expansion Caryn. Not sure what your computer currently has, but it sounds stretched out and Windows is having to jockey a lot of stuff around to generate more memory. I had this same problem when I had 512 RAM. Once I expanded to 2 gigs of RAM, it went away. Good luck. Bitchin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: