VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A SOUNDPROOFING EXPERT IN LA?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tombrom
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 12:54 pm    Post subject: CAN ANYONE RECOMMEND A SOUNDPROOFING EXPERT IN LA? Reply with quote

Hi,
I am using a small walk in closet to record in.
Its fine to mp3, but now I am isdning (is that a new word?)
I need to soundproof a little better as I am getting a bit of truck/SUV noise when they come up the hill I am on.
Its not too bad, but I think an expert could stop this sound getting in and I don't really know how to do it.
If anyone know someone in LA who is good in this field I would love to hear from them. I have 2 kids under 3 and a half, so as much as I would love to build something I just don't have the time.
Thanks in advance. I am sorry to ask so many questions and not post too many answers - long story short I would if I knew the answers!!!
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Come on over. I'll sell you a ton of the stuff they use to treat soundstages and stuff leftover from when I built my booth. Cheeep! Smile (Owens Corning 703 fiberglass insulation board.) You're not going to be able to completely sound-proof that space, I don't think. But you can really deaden the room and you'll sound a lot better.

Last edited by asnively on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
tombrom
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:45 pm    Post subject: Wow! that was quick Reply with quote

Thanks Amy.
I'm coming now - where are you?
Only kidding.
I would love to buy the acoustic foam.
Anything to make me sound better!!
I will send you a "private message".

Cheers
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tombrom--

Amy's right, the 703 will give you great sound absorption of your voice within your booth. And if it's covered with a nice fabric, it can look good too.

As far as controlling outside sound getting into the booth, that's a different matter, which can only really be accomplished with mass and trapped air spaces--translation: multiple layers of sheetrock, acoustical caulking, special stud placement--and it adds up, a lot. It's perhaps not even possible to do effectively with existing construction (well, it might be, but by the time you're finished, the inside of your closet will shrink to sardine can-size because of the extra layers of building materials.) It'd be less expensive if you have the room, to put a Whisperroom inside your closet. The other possibility is using a downward expander, such as the one in the Symetrix 528e (other board members may have other preferences,) I think DB also uses one, or at least did at one time. It will filter those outside sounds in real-time, before they get to your ISDN, and it's really very invisible sound-wise. Might be your best bang for the buck.
tombrom
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:04 pm    Post subject: Symetrix Reply with quote

Wow! That sounds interesting as I was quite keen on getting a new preamp.
This "thing" sounds pretty good.
Does it sort of eliminate non voice sounds?
Intrigued how it works.
ballenberg
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's some info on it---

http://tinyurl.com/2f2jsc

In a non-tech way, cause I'm quite non-techy, you set the control so that your quietest speech can get through Anything below that level is downward expanded (huh?), in human-speak, not allowed to pass through to the final signal. It's very easy to set, and the less of the control you use, the less chance for any type of problem of speech sounds being cut off.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: