VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording Booth/Whisperroom
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:25 pm    Post subject: Recording Booth/Whisperroom Reply with quote

So the booth I've just set up in my studio is the smallest booth that Whisperroom makes. At 2'8" by 3'8", it's kinda' like a chubby phone booth. (Do they still make phone booths?)

The problem I'm having is that it actually sounds like a tiny room. Maybe the fact that it's a pretty acoustically dead space makes the problem worse, but whatever's causing it, I can't find a way around it. I've tried adding some reflective material inside the booth, but it didn't make much of a difference, and there really isn't much space in there anyway.

So two questions:

1) Has anyone used one of these tiny recording booths and found a way to make it sound usable? (And if so, how?)

2) Does anyone have any experience with a 5' x 5' GK Acoustics booth (or something very similar)? I have the chance to buy one to replace the Whisperroom, but I'd like to hear some personal experiences first.

Thanks!
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have the only-slightly-larger 42-inch-by-42-inch model and have never needed anything other than the acoustic foam that was included with it. But maybe that extra foot makes a huge difference.
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug -

I didn't get the absolute smallest size, but the next one up. I have not had complaints about a "dead room" sound.
Please excuse my ignorance, but what you are wanting to do with the reflective material is the opposite of adding foam, correct?

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug,

Two ideas come to mind: one: put glass or 3x 1 foot square tiles forming a modified "T" behind the mic (the direction you are speaking). Then, behind you add 4x 1 foot square tiles or glass forming a square. This will make it farily "live".

Two: Open the door. Allow some air into the room. This one works well.

Good luck.

Toodles

F2
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No ignorance, Scott, you're exactly right. Adding some reflective material (hard surfaces) was an attempt to "liven" or "brighten" the sound of the room, just the opposite of what acoustic foam can do.
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A colleague had a similar problem and the answer was Frank's answer #2: Open the door.
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But if you open the door...doesn't that defeat the purpose of HAVING a Whister Room?....I'm NOT being sarcastic, I'm really asking.

Also...I know when a space sounds "big" (hall, ballroom etc...) but I have never heard of one sounding "small" I always thought that the "deader" in the sense of the "closer" the "quieter" the better...so once again I'm learning something here....

What excatly does a "small" room sound like?
Doug, can you post an audio snippet?....I'm really intereted....'cause, I'm in a REALLY small space myself, but have never had any complaints.....

Liz
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course the obvious downside is that when the door is open it is no longer a Whisper Room.

Same logic - How does one save money on binoculars when wanting to view distant objects? Simple, try moving closer to the object you wish to view.
Brett Mason
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug, I have a 3.5ft x 5ft WhisperRoom. Mine doesn't have the side window (which I wish I had), and no roller wheels. I also don't have any acoustic foam on the inside, but so far I find the sound acceptable. I'm sure I can improve it over time, but at this point it serves the purpose. I do think that the extra space makes a difference, though.

...and I have to agree with Liz (imbécile que je suis) that to open the door during a session would allow every $%^#@ lawn mower, garbage truck, jet plane, leaf blower, boom box, delivery truck, etc., into the mix.

"Dare to be Yourself" - André Gide
Merry Merchants of Voice Over!
Mendicant
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right, leave the door open and the booth is no longer sound resistant. Close the door and it sounds like you are recording in a refrigerator. The small Whisper Room is sound resistant (few places are truly sound proof) but it isn't the perfect recording environment because it is too small. It's really good for hearing tests. The local Costco had a hearing aid sales promotion that used one for that.

The people I know that bought the smallest Whisper Room were never really happy with it. The people who bought the larger models have been mostly satisfied.

But even with the larger Whisper Rooms, many people like to record with the door cracked so it is less claustrophobic. Unless you are recording in a bowling alley, a shooting range or on an airport runway, that's usually OK.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting thread! I've thought my home-made sound booth seemed a bit too "dead" at times. I may have to try some of the suggestions on here besides the door opening thing. Actually mine is two doors hinged together for half of the room. Opening it makes it a murmur room perhaps?

The Voice of Bob
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for this thread! My husband and I have discussed getting a whisperoom or some other variation when we sell our house next summer and move to a new one. My most important reason to want one? VENTILATION! I had a session this morning with a phone patch...it went great- but I was sweating so bad by the end I literally fell out of my closet trying to get air!

Granted- it is my most energy depleting client (I have to yell and act and go way over the top with the read)...but I was really hot!

So, it sounds like a bigger room works better? This is probably stupid to ask since I haven't researched first...but is it possible to expand the whisperoom? It is in pieces, right?

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The expansion part I'm not sure about...what I do know is you can get the "standard" model, and then later upgrade to the "enhanced" and add it to what you already have.
As for ventilation, I have heard both good and bad. I bought mine without the ventilation component and just open the door when I need a little air.

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
Brett Mason
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

KaraEdwards wrote:
... I literally fell out of my closet trying to get air!

...but is it possible to expand the whisperoom? It is in pieces, right?

But isn't it "litter-ally"....I mean, in a feline sort a way?......

Re: The WhisperRoom, all the info is on their website:---->HERE

"Dare to be Yourself" - André Gide
Merry Merchants of Voice Over!
Mendicant
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The recording studio I worked at had a Whisper Room with the Ventilation component, but we could never get it to be quiet enough.
We ususally kept it off and opened the door for air during longer session breaks.

L.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: