VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Recording Booth/Whisperroom
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure a totally "dead" room is bad for many applications. When Fox Animation was here in town (I worked on Anastasia) their 12'x12' audio booth was full of big foam pieces and baffles and you could feel the sound being sucked out of you when you talked. Behind the mic it was completely clean. You heard just your voice and nothing else. It felt odd but it worked for them.

I am still amazed at the national work I hear where you can hear all the bounce off of the hard surfaces and even the music stand coming through the mic. Some folks just don't care I guess. I also am amazed at movies, usually older ones, where they've replaced outdoor dialogue with something that's clearly been recorded inside.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce, if they don't care about major faux pas like putting a North America bird in Europe, then it's no surprise they don't care about trivial details like sound quality Sticking out Tongue
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the 1950's and 1960's the recording studio scene was enamored with the absolute "dead sound". In the 70's many of the major recording studios began changing to a little more "live" room. In the 80's a moderately "live" room was deemed comfortable and sounded very nice.

Along came the 90's and the world started to re-think the concept of "dead" rooms raised it's ugly head again. Radio stations and recording studios were deadening their "booths", TV stations were trying hard to make a special dead-quiet area for their news people, etc. This is the advent of foam manufacturers marketing prowess and the advent of the "home" studio.

Think your room, think your microphone, think your microphone chain. I am currently using my trusty U-87 in a sound isolated room, with a fan working in the background and the door wide open during my recording sessions. Why, you may ask? Because it sounds as if there is "life" in my recordings.

Live a little and be open to change. Do you need "dead" sound? Do you require a "big room"? Whatever your needs and sound requires may be created IF you think the process of sound isolation.

"Open the door" to life. Begin your process by listening to the sounds surrounding your world. Record one hour of noise in your neighborhood with your microphone and processing chain. Play it back and listen to what is really picked up through the microphone. If you have lawn mowers and dogs barking which can be heard on your ambient recording, see how this might be changed by putting in a "GOBO" or some similar product, or changing the direction of the mic. THINK or as in my case, I had to THIMPK.

I know it not very feng sheui of me, but you really need to listen to make the right noise.

Good luck.

Toodles

Frank F
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting. I always thought along the lines of "you can't be too rich or too thin (and a recording room can't be too dead)."
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think what Doug is experiencing is the small sound of the booth....this can often times be a "boxey" kind of dead sound. I think this instance is a case of the walls being too close to the mic...even though there is foam to absorb. I bet there is that funky "I'm in a box" sound that is hard to get rid of...especially when you want to sound like you are somewhere else.

I have heard great things about GK Acoustics booths....just as an FYI.

"To be really good at voiceover, you need to improve your footwork and hip snap."
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizden wrote:
The recording studio I worked at had a Whisper Room with the Ventilation component, but we could never get it to be quiet enough.

I have the fan silencer and the extra baffles for the ventilation system, and they keep things pretty quiet. Not perfectly quiet, but quiet enough for all of the work I've done so far.
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was thinking of all the booths I've recorded in...some had ventilation that was too loud, and some did not. I may have to check with the 'quiet' studios and find out what brand they are!

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My 4'x'4 x7' recently constructed booth has a nice sound to me, with Auralex foam on 3 walls, and just anti fatique matting on the floor. I have a window, but prefer to keep it covered with foam, and a computer monitor & shelves, that probably bounce a little sound around. It's tight but not too dead, and sounds clean, not small, (whatever I think that may mean) I have a stealth fan (baffled) but still turn it off while the mic is on. When I'm editing, I keep the door open. (all that hot air, ya know) Smile
DougVox
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all, thanks to everyone who responded for sharing your thoughts and experience. It's nice to know that I can always count on this group for help and support. I feel lucky to have found a corner of this industry where everyone is so generous with their expertise, and it's much appreciated.

Anyway,

BenWils wrote:
I think what Doug is experiencing is the small sound of the booth....this can often times be a "boxey" kind of dead sound...I bet there is that funky "I'm in a box" sound that is hard to get rid of.

Ben, you're exactly right. And thanks for explaining it so much better than I did. It is "boxey" and dead sounding. Not horrible for quiet, hushed-conversation-type reads, but anything that's at regular conversation volume or louder (which most of my stuff is) sounds claustrophobic, if that makes any sense.

And as a coupla' y'all suggested, leaving the door open does improve the sound greatly, but totally defeats the purpose of having the booth in the first place. It just re-introduces all the sounds that the booth does such a good job of keeping out.

On the plus side, at least the ventilation system keeps the air circulating without creating any discernible noise, so I've got that goin' for me.

I spoke with the folks at Whisperroom today (very friendly and helpful, by the way) and they pretty much agreed with what Chris W. said: the small booth is good for hearing tests, but not optimized for VO. It seems that the 4x4 and 4x6 booths are their most popular models for voice talent.

And while some of their booths are expandable, of course, the model that I have, isn't. Turns out that you have to start with one of the larger models if you want to be able to expand it in the future. (Sort'a counter-intuitive in my book, but what do I know?)

Over the weekend, I'm gonna hop in the 5x5 GK Acoustics booth my buddy's got for sale, and see how that one compares. I'll be sure to let you know.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: