VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO actor Interview Questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adam Bullock

PostPosted: Tue Sep 25, 2007 10:44 pm    Post subject: VO actor Interview Questions Reply with quote

HI every one! I have this project that I'm doing on our field of work and I needed to interview somebody but I thought why not interview you guys. This way I get twice as much info. So here are the questions and when you answer it please number your answers according to the question, k. So here we go:

1) How did you decide to get into this field of work?
2) What’s a typical work day like?
3) What do you like about the job?
4) What’s the worst part of this job?
5) What’s the best part of this job?
6) What kind of people survive and do well in this field?
7) What kind of training/education do you recommend as the best way to prepare for this career?
cool What skill and background are need?
9) Do you think this field is expanding, taking any new directions?
10) What are the perks of this biz?
11) Is there anything else I need to know?

Those are the questions and I hope you will be so kind and answer it foe me. I'm sure wit all you knowledge that I'll get an A++. Well again, thank you all!
-Adam Bullock
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanted to be a radio DJ but discovered I was cursed with intelligence.
24 hours. Dawn, dusk, dog walking and excessive eating. Work can be feast or famine. Yesterday's sessions were radio commercial, 3 TV ad's, corporate, 4 radio ads, TV promo session, corporate, TV promo session
The fact that I am allowed to do it. Most people have to work for a living,
People who confuse the ability to type with the ability to write.
The reaction of producers or directors when they hear what they thought was quite mundane take on a life on its own.
Those who feel deep down inside they were born to do it but know that it is so very unimportant. ALL human life is outside the VO booth.
7) What kind of training/education do you recommend as the best way to prepare for this career?
I left Merton College , Oxford with a double first in Law and Economics and would suggest this is a minimum entry level
What skill and background are need?
Be British and have the ability to type the number 8 and the word "needed"
Doors are closing but new ones are opening too. New technology means that producers in remote locations no longer have to hire the nearest person to the studio and as a result standards are rising.
No idea. I believe it is just one big perk.
If you have no sense of humour about yourself, a fragile ego and believe the world is just waiting for YOUR voice choose another job.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, I just knew somehow that PB would be the first to reply. I agree with all of it, except I took a slightly different course of training.

I am living his answer to #4 at this very moment. Might have to bring in a team of hieroglyphics experts to help figure out what this script is meant to say...

Last edited by asnively on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since Phillip's answers are pretty much right on for all us (except maybe that double first from Oxford), let me take a whack at number one:

I don't know anybody who made a plan to become a voice over. For instance I stumbled into it.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 5:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People have always told me I have a nice voice and should be on the radio.

Brett Mason
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ambivalence reigns on whether #3 or #4 applies....

P.S. - Philip, you ARE da bomb.....
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right on target Chris. VO finds US. I remember listening to Billy West do regular characters on Boston radio in the late '70's thinking what a cool gig that must be, but never in a million years thought VO was a viable career option for me.

Fell into it. Started in radio - was invited to do VO on the side. After radio died, VO thrived.
There is no typical day....one reason I love this job. When work is quiet, I put on mom hat and do laundry and yard work...checking emails frequently.
Every day is different- I thrive in organized chaos. I am able to put being a mom first and still make a good living. There's a lot of freedom...but one must remember that with freedom comes responsibility.
It can be an isolating life- which is why VO-BB is a real community for us all. The friendships, mentoring, and encouragement we get here is priceless (and it's way cheaper than therapy Rolls Eyes ).
Hearing a client say "That's exactly how I heard it in my head."
Knowing that the words I've said have connected with someone.
Banskey said it better than I ever could "Those who feel deep down inside they were born to do it but know that it is so very unimportant. ALL human life is outside the VO booth." (I LOVE YOU BANKSEY)
There's so much more out there now...absorb as much of that as you can from VO books,podcasts,blogs etc.
What skill and background are need?
Every other full time VO artist I've ever met has a different story...we've all gotten here on a different path.. Acting is very important. I was lucky enough to have both a BS in Acting/Theater and years behind a mic in radio...wicked pissah combo for VO work.
yes. Technology is opening up new venues for voice work and making it possible for us to work from home studios for clients literally all over the globe....also a lot of new awareness of our biz and lots of young talent jumping in...most will, after the initial thrill will find the wave pool brings them down too often and will get out...others will realize that this wave pool is the coolest thing ever and they will thrive and join the kids in the deep end.
I can be myself. I don't need a power suit, pantyhose or a cubical.
11) Is there anything else I need to know? Yes. Lots. Everyday there's something new to learn...
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So many GREAT answers - and typical for many of us, for sure ... again, with the exception of banksey's big-ole edumacashun.

i'll take a stab at a couple:

20 years in radio + fired from voice & data network sales = full time freelance VO
7am: check email for work, Noon: check mailbox for money, 4pm: check 'fridge for beer
i love almost everything about this lifestyle - 'cause that's what it is - not a job.
clients who have to have it NOW - but revise the copy 4 times during the course of the afternoon.
4pm
people with rhino-like skin, a self-deprecating sense of humor and a love of raman noodles.
prepare?
cool What skill and background are need?
a double first in in Law and Economics from oxford
yes, if you are willing to work for $20/spot ... don't do this.
4pm
yes, lots.

ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: VO actor Interview Questions Reply with quote

Okay, I come at this from two perspectives: one as a writer/producer and the other (more recently) as a voice actor.

I didn't make a conscious decision to do voice acting. I started doing VO when I took a VO class to get an actor's perspective on scripts. I've spent much of my life being scriptwriter for documentaries on science. As I would go to sessions, I'd talk to the VO people about how the script worked for them (layout, style, direction, etc.). I got a lot of good feedback that way. Then one fellow suggested I take a VO class, saying that I had a good-sounding voice, but also because he thought that would also give me some good perspective on scripts. So, I did. And that led to me doing some VO on my own, mostly within the past year or so.

I don't do it every day, yet.

The chance to play with words, with what the words are saying to the audience, trying to figure who I'm talking to. I mean, on some copy it's blindingly obvious. But, on other pieces, it requires a bit more of the actor's approach, if that's what you want to call it.

DB posted elsewhere here about having copy that is much too long for the spot and having to sound like a "crazed weasel on meth" to get through it all.

Some of the commercial spots I read in training were over-written and I often wondered if the writer had actually read any of the work out loud before sending it on.

It's usually fun.

My teacher told me that you have to be persistent.

On the other side of the table (speaking as a writer/producer), I appreciate people who come to the session who have prepared themselves for the session. That is, they're read the script and the prep materials I've sent. I send along a script that has a lot of space for notes; I also give them phonetic pronunciation guides for the difficult technical words. Most voice actors I've hired to do this sort of thing have been quite happy to get such support.

In my classes I got the chance to read a huge variety of copy, and the writer in me would cringe at some of it. But, the actor in me would say, "okay, how can I make this work?"

At the very least, having an objective teacher or coach give you honest feedback about what you're doing right or wrong. My teacher has been able to help me coax out some decent performances that I didn't know I could do.

8 ) What skill and background are need?

Quickness, agility, openness to trying different approaches, calmness, humility.

I noticed in the past few years that gravelly-voiced women seem to get cast in spots that are trying to evoke "home, hearth, patriotism, down-home" values. Why is that? I dunno. Just asking. I've also noticed that there's a bit of a trend away from "voice of god" narrations, or at least that's what I hear some other producers saying. yet, I'll see that they tend to get known "name" actors to do "voice of god" narrations, so I wonder if it's the marquee value that trumps the objection to VOG.

No idea. I haven't been in it long enough to figure that out.

Can't think of anything. Again, I'm sort of a hybrid.
KaraEdwards
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

These are all really great answers- so I'll only add a couple:

5) The best part of the job- Developing characters that become a regular part of your life. Having people ask you to 'do the voice' because they 'grew up listening' to you.

4) The worst part of the job- Collections...going after money sucks.

6) What kind of people survive and do well in this field? Banksey nailed it. Those with patience, training, thick skin, and a sense of humor.

10) What are the perks of this biz? Pajamas

Kara Edwards
http://www.karaedwards.com
kara@karaedwards.com
Moe Egan
4 Large

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Todd. Do you mind if I copy your business model? It's perfect. ((7am: check email for work, Noon: check mailbox for money, 4pm: check 'fridge for beer ))
Lizden
A Zillion

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So...after all those great answers, here are my random thoughts:...

As was said so well earlier...It found me. I worked as a Radio Production Director for 5 years, then in a recording studio behind the glass for 9 years...and when I was shown the door...VO hit me across the head with the proverbial 2x4 and said "HEY...so? are you FINALLY ready to stop being scared and just do this?" (hmmmm maybe THAT'S WHY I get headaches! Smile

There is no typical day...but I love Todd's model!

That I can do something I love and get paid for it! That I can read words and have fun!

Dealing with clients who don't pay...but I'm pretty lucky, I've had very few of those. As my biz mentor once told me "Only work with the willing"

It's FUN! I also love that I'm learning all the time. From the people I've met (here on the VO-BB especially!) but also from the narration scripts I get asked to record. It's really cool!

What Banksey said! You have to be persistent

I don't think there's a "best" way, but I think continued acting/VO/improv training throughout your career is essential. I don't think I'll ever get to the point of "OK, I'm done, I know it ALL now."

8 ) (BTW Banksey, if you but the number 8 and a closing parenthesis, you get the "cool" emoticon) cool What skill and background are needED?
Being able to take direction, persistence, patience & being able to laugh at yourself!

Yes, what everyone else said. Technology has allowed more people to set up in home studios, but "if it were as easy as just reading, everyone would do it"

FUN!, the people, the creativity.

Yes, lots!

Liz

(edited once for word correction!)

Last edited by Lizden on Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:17 am; edited 1 time in total
Brett Mason
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lizden wrote:

Dealing with clients who don't pay...but I'm pretty lucky, I've had every few of those...

Ah, Liz, how Freudian.................but, then, haven't we all?.........

jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I haven't gotten to the level where I can make a living doing only VO work but here are my thoughts nonetheless.

1) How did you decide to get into this field of work? I bumped into a old friend at an Improv class who worked for a production company. She asked me if I'd like to do a voiceover job (with a spanish accent) for her company. I did the job and received real money! That day was a revelation for me. I can get paid to do this?? Oh yeah baby, I'm in!

2) What’s a typical work day like? - well, at this point in my career, my day mainly consists of scouring the internet looking for job leads while acting like I am working at my day job. If you want to see what an Oscar worthy performance looks like, you should see me trying to look busy at my day job!

3) What do you like about the job? - I really like when I get to do it. When I have to do something other than that, it's not so great.

4) What’s the worst part of this job? - Not having enough of it yet to quit my day job.

5) What’s the best part of this job? - Being able to make at least part of my living doing something that is creative and fun.

6) What kind of people survive and do well in this field? - People who feel like Banksey described previously (I'm not worthy!) and people who are willing to do whatever is necessary to be successful. That may be different things for different people.

7) What kind of training/education do you recommend as the best way to prepare for this career? - There are many and varied roads that lead to voiceover success but I've heard over and over that improv training is very helpful so my answer is . . . improv training . . . yeah, that's the ticket.

9) Do you think this field is expanding, taking any new directions? - I am new enough in this field that all "new directions" are all the directions I am learning about. Technology and the internet are definitely changing things. For the better? Time will tell.

10) What are the perks of this biz? - I am not at this level yet but I understand that being able to work in one's pajamas and bunny slippers is pretty cool.

11) Is there anything else I need to know? - Yes, and as soon as you find out what those things are, will you please let me know too?
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Sep 26, 2007 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

1. How did you decide to get into this field of work?

When I was 17 and on the staff of my high school radio station, an alum of our school came looking for cheap actors to cast in a sales-training tape she was producing for the phone company. I got a part (playing the president of a gas company; I'm sure I was very convincing in that role). We did the recording in a couple of hours, and then they handed me $100. All that for talking into a microphone? I knew I had found my calling.

2. What’s a typical work day like?

I record a few auditions sent to me by agents or that I've found online. I make some calls to people who might be able to hire me. I write some postcards or send out some CDs. I ride my bike or watch the occasional ballgame. On a less-typical but more-desirable day, I go downtown for an hour or two for a recording session.

3. What do you like about the job?

Acting. Setting my own schedule. Meeting like-minded, creative people.

4. What’s the worst part of this job?

Unpredictable income.

5. What’s the best part of this job?

My boss (me).

6. What kind of people survive and do well in this field?

People who know how to run a business and can adapt to change.

7. What kind of training/education do you recommend as the best way to prepare for this career?

Learn how to act (and how to take direction), learn how to rip and read like a radio person, and learn how to run a business.

8.What skill and background are need?

See above.

9. Do you think this field is expanding, taking any new directions?

Yes, constantly.

10. What are the perks of this biz?

See Philip's answer.

11. Is there anything else I need to know?

Yes -- that when you've finished learning, you've finished living.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: