VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO web site: subdomain or solo?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:12 pm    Post subject: VO web site: subdomain or solo? Reply with quote

I'm starting to gather ideas for my own voiceover web site, and one of the first questions to come to mind was whether or not it would be a good idea to piggyback my VO site onto the VO Database site I'm building, or whether it should be a separate entity.

If I go the piggyback (subdomain) route, it would be something like http://justin.vodatabase.com/ . Is this a good or bad idea? I feel it could potentially be good, as it would inform folks about the VO Database site every time I tell them about where they can find my own demos. One down side, though, is that it's not exactly a catchy, roll-off-the-tongue kind of thing.

If it's best to keep it separate, these are the available names I've been pondering, with my personal favorites at the top:

jbspeaks.com
justinyourears.com
justinbthevoice.com
jbarrettvo.com
justinbvoiceover.com
justinbvo.com
voiceofjustin.com
vojustin.com
justinbarrettvo.com

These are other names I considered, but which are already taken (some by other VO artists):

justinspeaks.com
justinyourhead.com
jbvoiceover.com
vojb.com
jbvo.com

Any input would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It would seem to me that leveraging the database as a way to draw traffic to your own personal VO business would be smart, no? I think finding a smart way to combine them would be a better self-promotion strategy.

Last edited by asnively on Tue Mar 03, 2009 8:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already plan on including an "about" page on the VO Database site, which will include a brief background of the site along with information about me and a link to my own VO efforts. There could also be a link displayed at the bottom of the main interface that says something like, "The VO Database is owned and operated by Justin Barrett," with my name also acting as a link to my VO portfolio. Is that the kind of thing you're talking about, or are there deeper possibilities I'm missing?

To me it makes some sense to have my material on the same domain as the database, as I feel it would strengthen the relationship between me and the database. However, I suppose I'm looking to see if there are any significant reasons to NOT go this route...some drawback that just hasn't hit me yet.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Sep 29, 2007 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Justin,

Have you looked at Frank Frederick's VO site? That's one example of what you're talking about, and a good one.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 8:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justincaseyouneedvo.com ???

Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JustJustin.com
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Sep 30, 2007 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

justintimetosaveyourbadcopywriting.com

well, it was a thought, anyway.

I've been a firm believer in owning your domain name and making that your primary site to use on business cards, letterhead, etc.. For example, I also have my site at greglittlefield.voices.com. However, if I should decide to completely quit voices.com, then that site will go away. I'll still have my main website and since I've used that as a main URL on business-related communication, it'll still be there as long as I remember to keep renewing my registration. Smile

In the example of Frank's site, he actually owns ispeek.org as well (at least, that's my assumption since it's his baby...),, so he's just delegating a portion of that site for his own personal VO promotion. I chose to go with my own domain rather than do something similar like gregsvoice.littlefieldcommunications.com. (After all, who the heck would type all that in?)

Keep in mind that I also happen to own my own little server and it's sitting in a rack at my former employer in Texas. So I have control over ALL of the web hosting configuration on that box. Your mileage may vary...
VO-BB Member #59
JBarrett
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 04, 2007 7:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the feedback, guys! I think I'll go the subdomain route after all. I don't know why, but something was telling me there might be some reason to not do it, but it really does make the most sense.

On a side note, the domain name and hosting space are setup, and I've dropped in a simple placeholder page. In addition to purchasing "vodatabase.com", I also snagged the .net and .org domains, although they're not yet pointed to the root.

I hope to have some stuff to share for feedback pretty soon. I've been working on this thing during my lunch breaks, as most of my evening time at home is spent finishing up the other site. That should hopefully wrap up in a week or two, and I'll be able to put more time into this.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: