VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone using the Neumann TLM-103?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Anyone using the Neumann TLM-103? Reply with quote

If so....what kind of processor, interface and pre-amp are you using with it? Curious to know what your chain is and how it sounds with the TLM. Thanks!

Glenn
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Glenn,

I've been using a 103 for a couple of years now... here's the chain

TLM 103 > Presonus Eureka > Mackie 1402 VLZ Pro > MBox > USB to XP SP2 Based PC.

I don't add any processing on either the presonus or mackie, I let the boys and girls who know what they're doing mess around with those nifty little things in post!

I'm very happy with the chain as it is now and the Presonus does a nice job. I toyed around with losing either the Presonus or the Mackie, but the combination of both makes a noticable difference when compared to either piece individually, at least for me and to my ears.

If I had the $$ I'd probably replace the Presonus with an Avalon M5, but I think that may be more ego than practicallity that is the motivation behind that.

Here's a quick sample without any processing:

http://www.brianforrester.com/audio/signalchain_bforrester.wav

Hope this helps.

Last edited by brianforrester on Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:47 am; edited 1 time in total
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian-

Went to your site and listened to your Verizon spot. Sounds good. I am one that still needs some processing to my voice but thanks for posting the file and helping out.

g
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,
A Presonus and a 1402 usually go for $900.

Most $700-$1000 preamps are going to sound miles better than that. Your TLM-103 is spinning its wheels with that rig...a TLM103 through a M5 is really much much better. Maybe you can't hear it, but trust me. If I put a $4000 preamp into a Behringer Eurodesk, it's going to sound a lot more like the Behringer than the great preamp.

Definitely keep the 1402 for routing monitors, and phone patch etc...but don't actually send your recording signal through it! If the Presonus needs the Mackie to enhance it, it's time for an upgrade. But hey, at least it does sound good, but the mic is doing all the heavy lifting...that, and the fact that you sound good! Smile

I'm not a big fan of Presonus preamps at all at any price point. I do own a Presonus Firebox. It's okay, but let's put it this way: it took the company over two years to discover and admit that the device couldn't actually record at 96k.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lance,

Yeah, right now the signal does go through the mackie board. The original reason for purchasing the mackie was simply for routing and a little bit of mixing, but once I tested it in the signal chain I liked it better than the eureka alone. But I can't really get rid of the board, because I do use it for mixing, and routing.

However, I agree completely... a better pre would probably not be routed through the mackie, I'd go straing to the mbox.

mmmm Avalon M5... I just wish I could find one for cheap! Shocked
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian, you don't have to throw down all the cash for an M5.

With a TLM103 I would consider transparent or warm preamps because the mic is a little bit on the sharp side. I think the Eureka is sharp too...perhaps you like the Mackie after it in the chain because it smears the sharpness of it.

1.) Grace 101 or True Systems P-Solo $600 - Speck 5.0 for $750.
2.) Summit 221-2BA $629
3.) Maybe even a Groove Tubes The Brick $400...actually I know this would sound very good, but you'd have to test it with your voice.
4.) John Hardy M-1 $950 ******personal favorite.
5.) UA 610-Solo (just modify the tubes) $700-$800...don't get the full channel UA with the compressor, especially since you won't use it.

Don't get the Great River $1075, it has a dialable tone, but I think it's all too biting for the TLM103.

The Manley mono pre is $250 less than the M5 also, and I prefer it.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2007 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now this is why I've missed this place so much! Great people and great advice... throw in a couple laughs and beer and you've got yourself a party cool

Thanks Lance! When the $ makes itself available, I'll take a look at the models you've suggested.

Cheers,

B
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Glen,
I'm using the TLM 103 into a Manley Voxbox and straight into a M-Audio soundcard. You can check out my demos at:
www.johnweeksaudio.voices.com
The real estate demo gives you a good idea of how it sounds. I know all the files on that demo was with this combo.
Good Luck!
John Weeks
SkinnyJohnny
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2007 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops...
Try this one instead:
http://johnweeksaudio.voices.com
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian:
I have many successful VO artists using a very similar signal chain. Yes, I know the purists hate the idea of running a high end preamp through a Mackie, but it works and makes the workflow effortless. I have several clients using the same mic/pre/mixer/Mbox combo in fact. Other clients are using Avalon 737SP's, and one uses a Focusrite Red7, but they all feed into the Mackie before making their way to the DAW. I think if you had a better A/D converter than that contained in the Mbox, then you might start to hear the difference in quality when bypassing the Mackie in the signal chain.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder

Last edited by georgethetech on Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 23, 2007 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George,

Nice to hear another opinion...

So assuming that I continue to use ProTools LE, what d/a converter would you suggest? The Mbox is nice in that it provides a very easy interface and is pretty idiot proor (perfect for me Wink ) Newer versions of the Mbox or would you lean more towards a digi 003 etc...? I certainly don't want the addition of a higher end pre to initiate another buying frenzy of signal chain components.

All hypothetical at this point anyway, since I'm not really in a position to begin upgrading, since the existing hardware is working pretty well in it's current configuration.

Take Care,

Brian
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 25, 2007 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the insight on this. I actually did purchase the Neumann. Now I am just looking for a good pre-amp/processor to go with it for my type of voice. Considering the Symetrix 528E or the Aphex 230...or a Focusrite. Not sure of the model on that one though. If anyone has any other experience or insight...please share. Thanks!

g
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could get a preamp with a built-in A/D converter, like those made by Apogee and Grace, but they do get pricey. dbx makes a nice with an A/D converter built in, and there are a few others out there. The Aphex 230 is a great, all in one box, made to order for VO.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
voicejones
Contributor III

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Check out Sound Force Reply with quote

Hey Glen,
Check out Sound Force on Wayne Ave in Dayton. Nice display of mics for you to test and super advice on processors etc. Great customer service too. I'm running an AKG 414 through an old Symetrix 528 and it works well for me. I'm sure your Neumann would sound very good too. If your shopping though broaden your horizons a little and scope out some of the stuff used in higher end recording studios vs broadcast stations.
Good Luck
JJ
Glenn Moore
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the tip Jim. I have bought several things from Sound Force. But actually never thought about processors or trying mics from there. I appreciate your insight.

Glenn
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: