VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MOTU 828MKII

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 9:01 am    Post subject: MOTU 828MKII Reply with quote

I'm looking at picking one of these up.
http://www.zzounds.com/item--MTU828MKII

It's interesting that I'm offered the choice of FireWire or USB2. I'm tempted to go with the USB2 connection due to all the FW difficulty I've had with my current chain.

Any opinions from users?
sdelgo
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some experience with the Mark Of The Unicorn gear, actually it was the 828 usb. The issues we had were latency. From what i remember we had about 30 inputs setup going into a Mac (not sure of the specs) and during the tracking there was a few millisecs of latency. we stripped down to just one unit and about 16 ins- the latency wasn't as bad but still somewhat noticable.
i guess you'd have to decide what your recording setup will be... 1 take at a time and overdubbing or multiple inputs simultaneously. 1 take at a time no noticeable latency mulitple ins at once will have some latency. Now that was with the usb... I don't know if the firewire version eliminates the latency issues.

Sound was great, nice preamps on that thing.

Steve

www.steviedproductions.com
Dave
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say about that particular model... but FWIW, I have used a MOTU 2408 (usb) for seven years without a hiccup. That sucker has been bullet proof!
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had some good experience with MOTU products, but prefer the offerings from LYNX, Lavry and Crane Song.

Sadly, a lot of it comes down to what you want to spend and what you really need. In my case, I'll be adding a new AD/DA for my new room sometime in March/April (and retiring the Onyx 1220 to panel usage only). It's probably overkill for my actual needs, but it seems that every time I think so, I end up finding a way to use the item to full, or near full potential.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Oct 18, 2007 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use the MOTU 828 MKII all the time. Very stable and with a few enhancements I do 22 tracks live.

Contact me personally if you need more than just a quick opinion.

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: