VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

It's about damned time
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:51 pm    Post subject: It's about damned time Reply with quote

The Mbox2 Micro

Finally!
An Mbox "dongle".

Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Quote from the promotional piece; Digidesign Introduces New Mbox 2 Micro
10/25/07 Ultra-small USB Pro Tools LE solution enables playback, editing, sequencing, and mixing on the go.

wow (with little enthusiasm)

Yeah, but it doesn't record so what good it?

Toodles

Frank F
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looks like it's merely a security dongle to unlock Pro Tools. With a headphone jack. What exactly would someone do with it?
Heavy D
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys are kidding right????? How much time do you spend actually recording compared to editing, mixing, mastering etc.? I have the Mbox2 Mini and I would love not to have to drag it where ever I'm going to be able to just mix and edit.
You could use it for keeping busy during flights, road trips, lunch breaks, It would be such a convenience! A damn expensive one though but still VERY convenient! Just my 2cents..
Heavy D
CWToo

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a boon! Now I can edit with Pro Tools in Starbucks (triple vente Latte), Panera (Asiago Roast Beef Sandwich) and Yorgo's Bageldashery in Norfolk (Egg bagel with a schmear).

Pro Tools hardware gets smaller while my waistline gets larger.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shouldn't that be "schmier"?

No matter, it's pronounced the same.

I want one of these for my charm bracelet. What a little cutie.
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah - it's schmeer. Smile
Craig
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 7:33 am    Post subject: So this leads... Reply with quote

to another question.

Since my experience is limited so far to Audacity, I've been considering Pro-Tools and Adobe Audition. I didn't know you couldn't save a session and work on it later without the hardware.

That's good to know.

Can you use Audition as a stand alone?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you Craig, I was just going to answer HeavyD in a simple way.

I already do what you so desperately want in an MBox and ProTools LE with Adobe Audition, Sony Vegas, Steinberg Nuendo, Steinberg CuBase, etc. and I don't even need the flash drive. I suppose if I really needed to I could put any of these programs on a flash drive and carry it around that way, but why?

I re-iterate: "...it doesn't record so what good it?"

Great! you can edit on the plane, but do you do when you get the call which says, "I've got to have this spot recorded now"? Takes me about a minute to set up with the "MicPortPro" and I can almost carry it around in my pocket (the microphone is too big for my pocket though) and I can record, edit, playback, mix, sequence, etc. The MicPortPro isn't that expensive either...

DB, I know I am going to catch some flack for this but if the "MBox dongle" doesn't record, I see no use, Sorry for the flame. I am grounded, I know...

Toodles

F2
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:

Great! you can edit on the plane, but do you do when you get the call which says, "I've got to have this spot recorded now"? Takes me about a minute to set up with the "MicPortPro" and I can almost carry it around in my pocket (the microphone is too big for my pocket though) ...

F2

Which leads to the question, "Is that MicPortPro in your pocket or... ??"

Smile

sorry, I couldn't resist (although I should have)

cc
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh Frank... you party pooper! We go and find another piece of equipment that we can spend our hard earned money on and you poo poo it Cry

I woulda thought that when you earned another year on your on your belt of life experience, that your allergy to ProTools may have been lessened Wink

Yes Frank is right... YOU CAN'T RECORD with the dongle, and nobody will ever change his mind about Rolls Eyes

Putting aside the pro/cons and pro/anti ProTools, it's kinda like Mac vs PC, everyone has opinion and everyone is right... some of us are comfortable learning and using multiple editing platforms and many of us aren't...

As a v/o, the dongle offers me very little value in studio, however they're not targeting v/o's with this product. It's targeted at producers, who spend more time editing and mixing than they do recording. Would it be nice for me as a v/o (in no way am I close to thinking I'm an engineer or producer) to be able to edit some of my dry v/o's on my laptop in front of the TV or at the local coffee house, maybe; but would I spend $279 US (that's about $250 CAD tee hee hee), for the privledge of being able to drop another ten bucks for a coffee and biscotti, while I do so... probably not.

For some it may have value, but as a v/o who tries to spend more time on mic and less time at the desk (it's a goal not a reality people!), it's of little value. Now if I wanted to mix some wicked awesome top 40 dance tracks, and not worry about ever actually recording a real human being or instrument (side bar on current quality of talent in the music industry being hosted at a coffee shop near you), then this puppy would be for me!

Simply another opinion from a guy who likes ProTools, doesn't really care to learn another editing program, but still wouldn't pay $250 CAD for a piece of plastic that only lets me edit.

If you look at it from Digi's point of view however... brilliant! Now ProTools really is available anywhere you need it, even in the dorm or on the bus and you don't need to lug that ugly blue box around with you. Just pop this little piece of magic in your pocket, pack up your laptop, pack up your headphones (I've heard that those earbuds reproduce really great sound for editing), ask your Mom if it's okay that you go play at the park, and you too can be a music producer. But, if you want to be a voice over artist, you'll need to upgrade to the mbox 2, buy a microphone from RadioShack and subscribe to a Pay to Play website... next step, collect the bags of money at the curb.

Tongue now being removed from cheek.

Have a great day all!
Heavy D
Contributor II

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well Sir,
As for me using protools, I am damn excited! I stated before it gives me the flexibility that you already have and obviously appreciate and are proud of. .....I am happy for you!
You do not know my situation as I received my setup as a gift....(My loving wife was doing the best she could on limited knowledge..sneaking on here to the VOBB, to read my posts back in Jan about an equipment purchase.) MBOX/Protools I did receive.....AND I like it !!!! So I will re-iterate,
WOOOOHOOOO!!! I'm thrilled ! It is going to come in handy!

As far as needing a spot "NOW"...when I travel I will just take everything else along, its small and fairly portable.

It will just be nice not to have to break out the mbox to use protools.
I'm sorry you don't understand....Can't you just be happy for me?

BTW..I'm telling MOM!!

Heavy D

Last edited by Heavy D on Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:08 am; edited 1 time in total
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Has anybody tried Zoom's H2 or H4? I know Dave C has an H4 but not sure he has tried it out.

I was thinking that might be a good way to record bird song in the field, although one would still need a parabolic reflector - not sure how to deal with that since the mics are internal.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Please remember folks, I did not "diss" PT here, just the MBox Dongle.

HeavyD, I am pleased that MBox has now come of age. I am also happy to see that DigiDesign (or the Double D) has found value in now letting their customers do what other editing software has been doing for years.

Enjoy what you have, if it works for you - be happy.

MCM, Dave C (Courvo) let me see his H4 and wow it is really quite a nice piece of equipment. Remember you can use external microphones with the H4. So carry a microphone with a reflector (or two), put the H4 on your belt, and off you go...

Oh, and I forgot: ProTools/DigiDesign products won't allow the MicPortPro to work with their products. Sorry, I am sooooo wrong for bringing up the obvious.

Toodles

F2
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Oct 27, 2007 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a long time ProTools LE user, I was pretty excited about this little micro thingy. Then I saw the $250 price tag, read about it, and learned Digi is charging for ProTools software as well as the dongle. Anyone who would use the Micro already records with ProTools, so why would they pay for software they already have?

Jim
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: