VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Getting a New Computer
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just got back from TigerDirect - nothing even remotely interesting. And nothing with XP. If I want XP it will get shipped from the US and the shipping will probably be a pain. I knew I waited too long - should have done this a number of months ago - would have had better luck in finding an XP machine.
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dell will still make you an XP computer. Dell.com
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 29, 2007 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.techbargains.com/
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Tue Oct 30, 2007 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We just ordered this from Tiger Direct for one of our offices...
Looks like XP to me.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=1539656&CatId=2630
Willie
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

They just recently updated the guts of the Mac Mini during the last wave of iMac revisions, so I think that rumor has been put aside for now. Even if Apple stops the manufacture of the Mini, they will continue to support it for many years to come. We have a G4 tower that is still supported by Mac.
Believe it or not, there are many production sound mixers that use the Mac Mini on their cart because it is quiet, tiny, efficient, and reliable. I have one connected to my Home Theater as a replacement for Dish Network. I just buy the limited number of shows I watch online and save money.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK George, you have my attention.
I love the form factor of the Mac Mini. But my audio software is PC.
Do I understand that any software will run?
Mostly Mac Moron--Willie E.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 02, 2007 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have several options for running a Windows only application on a Mac. The slickest way, and my method when running Wavelab on my Mac, is Parallels. Parallels is a Virtual Machine which allows you to install any other operating system within, in this case Windows XP. You don't have to restart the machine in Windows, so you can continue working in the Mac environment to email and such. This is a third party application that runs about $80. The option that is included with Mac OS is called Bootcamp, which forces you to reboot the machine into Windows XP directly. This is better for users that want a Mac but aren't ready to leave Windows and dabble in the Mac OS here and there, or situations where an application won't run properly in Windows under Parallels (rare case), or for hard-core gamers that need Windows XP to run native for optimum video performance.
A Mac Mini upgraded to 2GB RAM will handle this with ease. Don't wimp out on Memory when you order it, especially with Parallels. Upgrading memory on the Mini is a bit of a challenge, as the case doesn't open that easily. It is not a machine for computer tweakers. Full all intents and purposes, it is a laptop without a screen and keyboard, just like the iMacs.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Woohoo! Got a brilliant idea (very few and far between) - instead of heading down to computer row, I went to the place where I bought all my audio equipment because they I know they deal in computers too. I felt they would understand my needs.

They were terrific, as they always are, and instead of pushing their $3000 audio hardware, they gave me a list of components to buy and a great place to buy them so I could build my own computer.

I went directly to this shop and the owner was very nice - I'm leaving in a few minutes to pick up the computer which he put together for me at no charge - so I am quite excited. Quad Core, 2 gigs of RAM, 500 gig hard drive, Windows XP pro, in an Antec Sonata case so it should serve me well for some time to come. Of course, now I have to reload all my software and transfer my sound card from the old computer and figure out how to get back on the internet - my provider has been less than helpful in that area but that's nothing new.

Okay, so I'm off to pick it up. Thanks for all the advice and suggestions. I looked very closely at the Mac but the cost of changing everything over was too much at this time. Maybe next time....
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With the fear that I might be construed as just another Apple fanboy or Mac geek, I offer this final bit of information.

Take it from a very long time Microsoft based PC user (since 1987) who built every PC he ever owned, except for laptops, and also does tech support for clients on both the Windows and Mac platforms...

I agree that the initial cost can APPEAR bit overwhelming when you switch to Mac all at once. However, add in to the cost the amount of time you've spent over the years fighting viruses, spyware, trojans, worms, and other fun stuff, which up to now are almost exclusive to the Windows platform, and the challenge of getting support for a completely custom built computer from any of the 3rd party hardware and software manufactures involved, and you will find that the Apple Mac is the wiser choice.

That said, it is nice to have a local company to handle the build and support for your computer, especially when support is needed. Be sure they offer a good warranty/support package for 3 years, which should be long enough, given that they stay in business.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Nov 03, 2007 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks George. You may be right. But the truth is I can't remember the last time I bought a computer off the shelf - I've always had them built for me so I'm not too worried about that aspect of it. And even if I did get a Mac I most likely would still be using XP for some of the stuff I do - so I'd never get away from the aggravations of the Windows platform - a glutton for punishment I guess. Smile
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sun Nov 04, 2007 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.wootcomputers.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: