VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Audio Book Demo

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 12:24 pm    Post subject: New Audio Book Demo Reply with quote

Please give it a listen and let me know what you think:

www.tomdheere.com/Demos/TomDheereAudioBook.mp3

It clocks in at 10:33. Is that too long? And do you think that four selections are enough?

Thanks!

Tom
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I did not listen, what stopped me was the length of time...

Even for Audio Books, demos should be short and to the point, demonstrate your abilities, and focus listener to your strengths. Two to three cuts at approximately three minutes total time will usually suffice (you could get away with up to five minutes in a pinch and depending on the style of presentation). Then offer those customers who desire a choice of a long version and a short version.

If it is web based listening where your customers will hear the demo; the short version will almost always win in the case of audio book demos.

Good luck

Toodles

Frank F
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, I cut it down to 4:58. Thanks in advance for your input!

www.tomdheere.com/Demos/TomDheereAudioBook2.mp3
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well sir, I agree with Frank. I don't usually wanna listen to long demos.

Soooo....I figgered I'd listen to a minute or so of yours and see whatcha got. Well, I ended up listening longer than I intended. I guess that must mean I liked what I was hearing!
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Nov 08, 2007 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was once told by someone who does a lot of audiobooks and is quite famous for it. It was during a paid assessment. That the demo should include readings from a couple different genres and be near 5 minutes in length so that the publisher could get an idea of how well you carried the read long term.
On the other hand, listening to a recent podcast of Pat Fraley talking about his "Billion $ Read" book, he says they should be a minute to 1:30. There are also specific steps to getting the demo to the right person too,
Another one of those things that is on my list of must haves. As soon as I get a little extra money.
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 7:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I cold-called Brilliance Audio they wanted 4-6 samples 2-4 minutes in length each on my demo so that's how I formatted it. It got me the Danielle Steel gig which is great but that doesn't necessarily mean that's the industry standard. It seems that demo length and content are extremely subjective and there is no single correct way to do them. Thank goodness that nowadays we can easily customize our demos to accomodate.

So, depending on who you send it to, it could be considered too long or too short with too many or not enough samples on it. What to do, what to do?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Nov 09, 2007 8:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Rognog writes: "...depending on who you send it to, it could be considered too long or too short..."

Yes it is subjective and based upon each producers desires. For general use I like the short approach when supplied with a longer "look" at each of the included pieces in the demo, this becomes a very effective tool. Or, in other words... one short (four to five minute demo for audio books) demo - and several support segments of the same audio which give a longer look at each of the provided segments of the "short demo".

The example you offer and you subsequent analogy is right on target. Find out what the producer wants to hear in a demo and create a specific project for the producer. This works, but is not for general consumption.

Your change was noticeably different and nice. The provided demo will work well for generic/blind website based self-promotion.

Toodles

F2
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Critique All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: