VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Hi-tech Holiday Homework

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Wed Nov 21, 2007 8:45 pm    Post subject: Hi-tech Holiday Homework Reply with quote

OK you great gear heads. Here's something to ponder on if you are stuffed and need a little creative mental work-out.
You know I am technologically challenged. But I love theories and the "why things work" of what we do.
Here's the question: How important is matching your mic to your preamp?
Are things like impedance matching important?
Do you match-up a tube mic with tube, transformer or transformerless preamp?
Or do you match a transformerless mic to a tube preamp for added low end warmth?

Or...do you plug in what you have and if it sounds good--go with it?

One more question....Are you going to eat the rest of that turkey leg?

Thanks,
Willie
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 5:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've tried many different combinations over the years, but now I just go for a clean sound. I produce mainly TV and radio commercials, so I have to process and EQ the heck out of the VO to make it cut through the music, sfx. and broadcast processing. Easier to start with a clean sound.

For a narration or book on tape, I would use a different mic that had a pleasing presence and timbre for longer listening.

I don't find a "huge" difference with pre-amps for VO. I can create "color" with hardware and software processing. Current pre-amp is a DBX286A.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Hi-tech Holiday Homework Reply with quote

Jowillie wrote:

Or...do you plug in what you have and if it sounds good--go with it?

We have a winner with this one. Everything you've stated is important in one aspect or another, but for what we're doing, this is the main outcome you're looking for.

Tube mic with a tube preamp? I know some guys who swear by the combo, others who think you ought to be going with solid state or FET with tube mics. Honestly? Doesn't matter so long as it sounds good when the final product is put together. If you have to bend the laws of acoustics to do that, then you need to reevaluate your recording chain.

Right now, I've got two go-to preamps (with two backups) and two go-to mics (with two backups). It depends on what sound the copy is looking for that determines the combo I use.

Know yourself, know your gear, Know those things and you'll rarely have a problem.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Know yourself, know your gear, Know those things and you'll rarely have a problem.

Dang, Greg— You are a silver-tongued devil, you are.
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your weekend reading and study:

Simple basics
http://www.rane.com/note148.html

The impedance thing. (10X is the key)
http://www.sweetwater.com/expert-center/techtips/d--08/19/2004

Interesting interview with smart dudes.
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/articles/tyford/mic3/matching3.php

..and this one may shock your former known world about LargeDiaphramCondensers. I am currently trying a mic like this and I can't belive it reinforces this concept--but it does.
http://www.prosoundweb.com/recording/articles/tyford/condenser/joerg.shtml

Let's continue this discusssion. I'm learning something. What do you know?
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've read some of those, just read the others.

Some of it I agree with, some of it I don't. The large diaphragm vs. small diaphragm argument has been waged for 20+ years. The answer is that it depends on room and source. Some stuff I prefer on one, some stuff I prefer on the other.

But here's the real question, what have YOU tried, with YOUR voice, in YOUR room?

I can't speak for the rest, but I keep a rather voluminous notebook into which I jot down my notes regarding the combos I've used for my recording chain, EQ settings, Compression settings, etc. I keep another one that is specific towards the source... that is, ME. What was I thinking when I came up with a certain character voice, what was I concentrating on, where was I focusing the sounds, was I trying to talk with an impediment, what was I doing physically, stuff like that. I match that information to a reference clip I have in my NAS so that I can play it back and get an acoustical reference if necessary.

It's not just one thing, but 95% of it is related to what I'm doing that determines whether or not the sound is good.

It's not all about the gear. It's about confidence, it's about practice, it's about commitment, and mainly it's about heart. I'm not looking for approval from anyone but myself, and quite frankly I don't even care about that guy some days because he's impossible to please.

EDIT: I've also used the 286A on several occasions (I don't currently have one in the rack... for the price, I can't justify NOT having one, despite the other gear I own). It's nothing great, but it is reliable.

That said, let me offer a great low-cost alternative to the Hardy and GR preamps (more of a backup really). The Focusrite MP-20. It runs about $500 and sucks the way they currently make it, because Focusrite doesn't make good transformers. However, Jensen made the original transformer which made the MP-20 so loved by the low-end folks. Call them up and they'll happily swap out the parts with their own for less than $40. As a low-cost alternative, it's tough to beat... much like the 286 (of the two I prefer the modded MP-20, but that's a personal choice).

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Fri Nov 23, 2007 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,
Do you mean the Presonus MP-20? It's been discontinued, but I'm sure you can still find them.
WE
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Nov 29, 2007 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep... brain fart moment there.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: