VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Which MAC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
Don't Mac's run Windows software now as well (if not better) than a PC? I'm considering a Mini as well.

I bought one of the original Macbooks in the summer of 2006 (1.83 processor, 80 gig HD). At the time the beta version of Boot Camp was available, that allowed you to run Mac and Windows on partitioned hard drives. I do all my recording (Pro Tools) on the Mac side, and office work on the PC side. For the most part it's worked flawlessly, not slow at all. The only flaky part was mapping the Mac keyboard for PC functions.

I've noticed that with the introduction of the new Mac OS "Leopard" the beta version of Boot Camp is no longer available? Possibly you can get it on the other software download sites for free? Actually it's likely that a new Mac computer would come with Leopard/Boot Camp already installed, but I've heard people complain about problems running sound software (like Pro Tools) on Leopard.

Parallels is another utility that allows you to run Windows aHobo Tounges on a Mac, but with Parallels you don't have to re-boot. I've heard that Parallels can cause your Windows aHobo Tounges to run slow, but I've never used it.

As I've mentioned in previous threads, I purchased a Mac Mini last September and absolutely love it. It's the quietest computer I've ever owned (three feet away from my mic and you don't even know it's there), it runs Pro Tools like a champ, and it's really cute.

Sorry for the rambling nature of this, hope it's of some use.

Jim
jasbart
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ccpetersen wrote:
Bill, I had a MacBook a couple of years ago (pre-Wintel) and it did run PC stuff, but slowly. I hear the newer versions run it a bit faster.

Correct me if I'm mistaken, but I don't believe the Macbook has ever been available with anything but Intel processors. Macs with pre "Wintel" processors did not run the Windows OS. They ran Windows aHobo Tounges in a "virtual" windows environment, with limited success.

Since the advent of the Intel for Mac processors, using Boot Camp, you can actually run the Windows OS on a Mac computer.

Jim
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, you're correct. My bad...

It was a virtual windows environment that seemed to really eat up duty cycles. Ran slowly, sometimes bogged everything down on both sides.

A client supplied it for me to use with the design team I was working with, and they all used Apple computers for designing. The thinking was that we could transfer files with the correct fonts, etc. without having to go through translation gyrations.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2007 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a MacMini that sits in a drawer about 4 feet from the mic. completely silent. I could probably take it out of the drawer and noise still wouldn't be an issue, but then my wife would know that I actually have yet another Mac. I actually have 6 at the moment. Laugh

I use the mini just to get the voice down. Then I'll transfer all the files via ethernet to my 24" iMac for whatever post I need to do. I'm sure that the new MacMinis would be more than capable of handling pretty much any production job you're likely to throw at it. And who needs a high octane processor for web and email?

Maiku.

"If grass could run, cows would look like tigers."
Murray Wiggle
davidmonteath
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Dec 13, 2007 2:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike wrote:
but then my wife would know that I actually have yet another Mac. I actually have 6 at the moment

Could you tell her that Macs breed like rabbits?.....or cells.....new Mac, who me?......not at all, one of the others must have subdivided!!!!!

I just got a new hard drive yesterday, a 750mb Iomega drive to match the Mac mini, I spent hours copying stuff over to free up the working machines, deeply satisfying.

Sponsor of Voice APpreciation Indulgence Day 2010

Proud member of Self Appointed Voice-Over Experts Discussion Group - overenthusiastic pontification a speciality.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: