VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Any thoughts on Audio-technica equipment?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  

What do you think of Audio-Technica equipment?
Yay!
94%
 94%  [ 18 ]
Meh. . .
5%
 5%  [ 1 ]
Total Votes : 19

Christopher French
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:55 pm    Post subject: Any thoughts on Audio-technica equipment? Reply with quote

Hi gang!

Hope everyone had a great Turkey Day and gorged themselves silly! I know I did! I have a quick question. . .what does anybody here think of Audio-Technica studio equipment? Have you ever used it? Was it good, bad, other? I'm just asking because I just bought an AT2020 model condenser mic yesterday, and it seems to be working well, I just wanted some opinions from the good folks here.

Thanks!

Chris

"The only limitations we truly have are the ones we place on ourselves." -Attributed to Donald Trump
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Mon Nov 26, 2007 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AT2020 among many other inexpensive and high end mics. It's better than most of the other $100 microphones, clean highs and not too much bass (noise). You should be able to do good quality VO with that mic, provided your other equipment and room are ok. I find a foam pop filter
tones down the high end (treble) just right.

Bill
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Chris,

I'm using an AT-4033 as my main studio mic and have done so for more than 10 years. That mic loves my voice, so I in turn love it, too. Smile
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chris--i've got an a-t 3035 i've liked from the start. great for my vox. however, i am troubleshooting right now, trying to figure out alien chirps and whatnot.
i went to www.audio-tecnica.com and saw this:

A-T endorser Kenny Chesney did it again at the CMAs, winning his second straight entertainer of the year award November 7th. He has now picked up the Country Music Association’s top honor three times. Country Music's Biggest Night™ featured more than 250 hard-wired and wireless microphone systems from Audio-Technica.

so perhaps a-t gear helps yer dog come back and yer wife come back and yer truck get fixed.
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AT, could be the best bang for the buck manufacturer of microphones across all their lines. Even their shotgun mics are great. Everything they make is rock solid and sounds good. Not necessarily much character, but nothing questionable about it. I even had a pair of their diversity wireless lavaliere units. They were superior to Lectrosonics costing nearly four times as much.
Craig
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 3:12 pm    Post subject: AT3035 Reply with quote

I too have an AT3035. I like it and the price was right.

At higher volume I'm dealing with reflection still, but I would get the same from any other mic.

That's my only AT product, but I vote yesiree on it.

CRaig
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an AT-4040 that serves me well every day.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The AT 40xx series, at one time, was apparently the secret weapon of many a studio owner. The mics were more cost effective than the others and although they may not have that "magic" sound solo, in a mix they are absolutely amazing (like the 416). We have sites like this and Gearslutz.com to thank for letting the cat out of the bag on these mics, however, they were pretty specific on the AT40xx series, not the 30xx or 20xx series.

Personally, I have seen quite a few of these mics floating around as the defacto standard voiceover mic in a couple of studios in NYC. The engineer I questioned about it said it was purely cost vs performance. They could afford three AT40xx mics vs. one U87. We're talking AT 4040s, 4050s and 4060s.
Living Culture
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Dec 04, 2007 9:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with y'all. A-T is definitely the best value for money as far as mic's go. But has anyone used any of their other products? I recently bought a pair of A-T "studio" headphones, but I am not impressed. Poor sound quality as well as being really uncomfortable to wear for long periods.

I was wondering if anyone had any opinions on A-T phones. I did buy them to substitute for my beloved Fostex T-40's which I left at home, so maybe I'm just not being very objective.
haneen

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, here's my first post! I've been a lurker for about a month; and it turns out this poll about my new mic has gotten me started.

I recently just upgraded to an AT4047 from a $100 MXL mic. I knew it would be better, of course, but I actually prefer the AT to my own voice on a TLM103.

Howdy all.

haneen
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

haneen wrote:
I actually prefer the AT to my own voice on a TLM103.

Many moons back I felt the same way (though in my case it was against a U87).

Later on, I realized why I preferred the AT. It was because the AT hid some things that the U87 did not, and as a result I heard some things in my voice, which I did not like in the U87, which I did in the AT.

At first I thought it was user bias, but a quick check with some recording engineers and the specs confirmed this theory. When I eventually became better, I preferred the U87 since it captured my voice more accurately IMO.

The 103 and U87, while not being the same mic, do share some similarities... the biggie is that they are both extremely sensitive compared to many other microphones (especially the "AI" series of the U87). The result is not always favorable to the source.

This is not to down the AT mics. They're very good, but the mics do hide certain foibles within the human voice better than mics that are more sensitive. But like I've said before, use what works best for your voice... the gear doesn't matter so long as you sound good.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Audiogal
King's Row

PostPosted: Sun Dec 09, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry I haven't any experience w/ AT, but I noticed a new member here & just wanted to pop in & say "Welcome, haneen!"
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
That mic loves my voice, so I in turn love it, too.

Smile Funny how that works.
ehelvey

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mic closet full of them. I started using A-T mics about 27 or 28 years ago, still have that first mic and it works as good today as it did back then. My two mics of choice for my own VO are one of my A-T 4050's or my EV RE-27 - the hotter, crisper version of the venerable RE-20. I agree that just about any mic that A-T makes is a great bang for the buck - I have a shot gun, a pair of diversity, battery operated diversity wireless lavs (with the 831 mic) and a number of the 40 series, a pair of the 3060's and a bunch of lower end "performance" mics. Not one of them has ever disappointed me - and I've been in this business well over 40 years - oops! gave away a secret there Wink
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

threadjack

good morning mr. helvey! welcome to the board!

end threadjack

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: