VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBox 2!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: MBox 2! Reply with quote

Looks really nice, gang! http://www.digidesign.com/

After checking out who-knows-how many options (my eyes glazed over quite a while ago...), I'm hoping to be able to use a Mac Mini - MBox 2 hook up with my iBook..... We're planning a visit to the Apple Store to see if this'll be possible and see the Mini up close.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is quite cool.

Make sure you check compatibilities on the Digidesign website:

http://www.digidesign.com/compato/
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to call DigiDesign. The hard drive in the MacMini is a 2.5" similar to what's in a laptop. ProTools will not use it as an audio drive. There is one FW port which may be useable. I'm connecting my FW drive to my 002 and the 002 to the MacMini. Somewhere around here I've also got the number to a Certified ProTools Instructor who works at the Apple Store in Tysons Corner, VA (if that's the one you're headed to).

Kevin
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mbox is USB, Party Boy.

...and it will work with these two Mac Minis:
1.25GHz Mac mini — model M9686LL/A
1.42GHz Mac mini — model M9687LL/A
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that Kevin is referring to fire wire for the external drive, not the digi hardware... definately the way to go in my PC based experience at least.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh.

OK.

Amy would either need a Mac Mini OR a fast iBook.
I vote for the Mini.
It's wicked fast.

I must admit to missing the "iBook" part of Amy's initial post.

I think Kevin's Avatar is some kind of hilarious, by the way.
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Thu Sep 15, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good info and suggestions, y'all - thanks!

Kevin, the Apple Store in Richmond is closer to home, but good to know there's another one up the road a ways - thanks!
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Fri Sep 16, 2005 6:33 pm    Post subject: Mackie Spike as an alternative to mbox Reply with quote

I went with the Macki Spike rather than Mbox. THe Spike is not proprietary like M<box. It also has a higher sampling rate (96 KHz.) and bit depth (24-bit). Its foot can rotate 180 degrees out of the way so its slim profile fits easily in my laptop case. It is also a USB device rather than firewire (which I don’t have). Anyone thinking about an Mbox should check out the Mackie Spike too. It comes with Tracktion 2 but I use Adobe Audition 1.5 with it to edit. The Spike also has on-board DSP so it doesn't tie up your computer resources it you want a little compressing, gating, or EQ.

I almost went with an Mbox, but now I am glad I didn't. The Spike does have a wall wart to power it while the Mbox is powered through the USB connection.

I am not selling the Spike, I just really like mine.

Greg
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 3:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Mackie Spike as an alternative to mbox Reply with quote

GregAllen wrote:

I am not selling the Spike, I just really like mine.

No problem, Mike - I like having some options to explore. Does the Spike have proprietary software as well? Also, I don't see prices anywhere ...
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Oct 03, 2005 10:08 pm    Post subject: mackie spike Reply with quote

I've seen them for as low as $240 on eBay. it was $399 a few months ago. Sweetwater has now discounted it to $249. THey propbaly dropped the price with the Mbox 2 out.

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/Spike/

It comes with Tracktion 2, but its is not proprietary. I also bought and use Adobe Audition 1.5 and Magix Audio Studio.

Greg
FloydChappel

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Greg,

I use this combo as well. I've been having problems that I'm currently trying to sort out with Mackie tech support regarding digital "crackle" when recording with Audition 1.5 using Spike as the input.

Did you encounter any of this with your rig? If so, what steps did you take to correct the problem?

Floyd
AmysVoice

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Mackie Spike as an alternative to mbox Reply with quote

GregAllen wrote:
THe Spike is not proprietary like M<box.

Thanks, Greg - I totally missed this info in your first post..... and if anyone can tell me why I called you Mike, I'd surely appreciate it! (that glass of wine seemed innocent enough.....)

>^_^<
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 11:07 pm    Post subject: Mackie Spike and Audtion 1.5 Reply with quote

Floyd, I've had no problems. I saw somthing about that on a forum. I think it may be a setting thing. It may have been one of Mackie's user forums, or it could have been an udtion 1.5 form. I would ceck with Adobe too. Check their website. I use Adobe Auditon 1.5 and it works great. One thing you need to do is make sure the sample rate and bit depth are set the same in Audition as they are on the Spike setup.

and AmysVoice, that glass of vino is sounding GOOD. I just assembled my new desk and moved my office/studio down the hall into a dedicated room. I' tired, I am going to go kick back with my wife and relax now. Bottoms up!

Greg
audiogenic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I personally like Presonus' Firebox...great price for a well built, versatile unit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: