VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-Audio MobilePre USB ?

View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Sep 13, 2005 9:55 pm    Post subject: M-Audio MobilePre USB ? Reply with quote

I saw a good price on M-Audio's MobilePre and it looked like a good starter Pre-Amp, has at least enough features for vo and a little music...I've browsed around, seen some references from Hobo Toungel who liked it much better than the MBox...anyone here have experience with it?

I'm not a Luddite per se, but I know nothing of digital home recording tech. I'm by no means ready to record spots at home, but i'd like to start amassing equipment now to at least audition with and it looks like the MobilePre might be good enough to hang onto even for finished spots later on...anyone have some enlightenment to share?

thanx.....Pat
audiogenic

PostPosted: Thu Dec 15, 2005 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a nice unit for the price but it uses older USB 1.1 technology as oppose to USB 2.0. There is no 24 bit recording either.

More user opinions found here:
http://www.zzounds.com/productreview--MDOMOBILEPRE

If you have room to give budget wise, my recommendation would be the Presonus Firebox which is a 24-bit/96k Firewire recording device going for $299 these days.
ryansbeal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 16, 2005 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got one now. I works great, although I am looking to upgrade the total system. I will use it more as my mobile recording system. Now that I've got he new computer I have a good foundation to start with. My next step is mic shopping.

Ryan
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If you have room to give budget wise, my recommendation would be the Presonus Firebox which is a 24-bit/96k Firewire recording device going for $299 these days.

I have been strongly considering the Presonus Firebox along with a couple of M Audio firewire devices. Based on my experience with my Presonus Eureka, I am very likely to go with the Firebox.

Since you appear to be familiar with the unit - I just gotta know: Is this something I can get working without brain damage? I have heard the occasional horror story (not about the Presonus, but others) about the need to install software and then uninstall the software several times in order to get some units to work properly and other complaints.

How about a product review, just to help out those of us who may be considering one of these little rockets?
audiogenic

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Presonus Firebox is very easy to set up and use. The unit is well made with a strong, durable feel (metal knobs).

Excellent pre amps..same quality and circuitry found in more expensive Presonus units.

XLR inputs for either XLR or regular 1/4 input...lots of flexibility...monitor outs, plus headphones out, both with controls.

I haven't see a single negative review online from users nor review articles from pro audio magazines about it.

No firewire box sounds as good in this price range.
donrandall

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Presonus Firebox is very easy to set up and use. The unit is well made with a strong, durable feel (metal knobs).

Thanks! I know what you mean about a good solid feel. My Presonus Eureka PreAmp/Compressor/ParametricEQ is very solid and impressively well built, so I would expect the Firebox to be equally solid and durable. My main concern is ease of installation and ease of use, and your comments are helpful and encouraging. You know, just because I drive a car doesn't mean I want to know how to rebuild a transmission - the same with my gear. I just wanna use it and I just want it to work well!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: