VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

computer configuration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 10:52 am    Post subject: computer configuration Reply with quote

I'm about ready to get another computer, since this laptop is older and slower. I'm going to dedicate this laptop solely for recording, and was planning on transferring everything else on to the new one.

What I am wondering is if I can not buy a new set of Microsoft Office stuff and use it on both. Is it possible/legal to have it transferred to a USB hard drive and run it from there? That way it can go with whichever computer I am working with.

I'm not looking at pirating. If this is a no-no, then it's a no-go.

Any thoughts?

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know about Microsoft, but some of the Adobe products allow two installations -- one at "work" and one at "home" or on a laptop. The idea is that you would use one or the other computers depending on where you are, but not both at once. This is different from "seat licenses" that you can buy for bulk use. Best to check on Microsoft's endless terms of agreement...

But, it seems to me that if it's on a traveling hard drive and you're only using it on one computer, then it's not a violation. However, I am not a lawyer and have no special insights into how MSFT would handle such usage.
scottnilsen
King's Row

PostPosted: Fri Dec 21, 2007 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like I found the answer in an article talking about Office 2007 (I'm in the stone age, I guess, still using 2003, but I would think it still applies).

In case anyone else was wondering for themselves, I pasted the relevant info here.

I would like to install Microsoft Office software on a USB flash drive and take the flash drive with me so that I can plug it into whatever computer I am using at the time. Is that allowed?

No, once you plug a flash drive or any other portable drive with Microsoft Office into a computer or other hardware system, that hardware system becomes the licensed device. Any removal of the portable drive after that would be subject to the terms of reassignment to another device, which is only allowed once every 90 days with retail licenses of Microsoft Office.

I would like to install my copy of Microsoft Office on two desktop computers. Can I use my portable installation right for the second install?

No, the portable installation right is for use of the primary user of the first installed copy only and must be on a portable device. A desktop computer is not a portable device.

Can I install my copy of Microsoft Office on two laptops?

Yes, the licensed device may be a portable device. The secondary portable installation right is for use of the primary user of the first installed copy only and must be on a portable device. If you are the primary user of the licensed device, you may install a second copy on another laptop, but the copy of Microsoft Office on that laptop may only be used by you.

Well, that and mimes.

(714)408-6405 www.scottnilsen.com
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ditched MS Office for OpenOffice years ago. It runs on Mac, Linux and Winblows, has all the features you find in the MS Office suite, and it's FREE.

The really nice feature of this package is that it has complete integration with MySQL, so if you're into using relational databases, you'll be pretty happy with the product. If you're not into database, stop by the local bookstore and purchase a "beginning MySQL" book and see how dangerous you'll become.

Drawback, if you're using MS Office for the extended version of Outlook, not going to happen.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kevin,

Like you, I switched to OpenOffice years ago. No regrets. Using Gmail in IMAP mode with Thunderbird and the Lightning calendar plug-in (with the Google Calendar sync add-in) has given me almost everything I had with Outlook, especially since the 2.x version of Thunderbird was released.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2007 10:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have Office for Mac and it came with three install codes. I have it on my tower and laptop.

One of the cool features of Mac is that they have designed programs that are a lot more intuitive/user friendly than the PC counterparts...Pages(Word)... Numbers(Excel)....and Keynote(Powerpoint) and they sell all of them in the iWork bundle for $79, single license. The cool part is you are not charged $300+ for this package.

The latest edition iWork '08 seems to be the best of all since they allow complete compatibility with all the Office stuff....going both ways with very little if any trouble at all.

And you can get a family bundle (5 licenses) for the entire family or several computers for only $99.

Go watch demos at the Apple website if interested. They have demonstration videos, which may make you want to take a closer look if you are tired of Office products and have a Mac.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
I ditched MS Office for OpenOffice years ago. It runs on Mac, Linux and Winblows, has all the features you find in the MS Office suite, and it's FREE.

Yup...me too. I've been using Open Office for several years now. Couldn't be happier. I've never had anyone complain that they were not able to open a document saved as a .doc file that I created in OO.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: