VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN stands for I Still Don't (K)now
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:52 am    Post subject: ISDN stands for I Still Don't (K)now Reply with quote

As I said in another thread: Dang— how we rely on technology.

My ISDN setup had been experiencing a host of troubles over the last several weeks.
My codec (Telos Zephyr 9202) needed service in September which was taken care of quite handily by Telos, but I started getting network errors and drop-outs after the unit was back a while. I was getting the most horrid digital noise bursts which sometimes went over the air!

I talked to the Telos people right away, and they asked me to look to the phone company for possible trouble, and boy, TelCo found a boatload of circuit trouble. This was mid December. When I got home from Washington DC, my line was DOA— inactive on both sides of the circuit. A significant amount of wrangling ensued, which caused my service to work and not work, work and not work over the course of days and finally, a tech was dispatched to my home where he found no trouble.

My service was restored in the mysterious offices of TelCo switching Friday the 21st and it worked for broadcast for an hour and a half and then another complete network drop that was so absolute, the codec couldn't even automatically redial. thank goodness it wasn't on the air at the time! I was able to finish out the rest of the broadcast, but Saturday morning, dead in the water again. Inactive, both channels.

This week, there has been more messing about, but my codec has not ever gotten a "ready" signal, and yesterday the Phone Tech was here again, where he tested the circuit from the jack in my office and it tested OK.
TOTALLY.
So, now, after finding errors all over the place in the TelCo central offices, it's my suddenlly my codec that's the trouble?
Man— what if it has been the trouble all this time? Why on earth would they have found so many network errors in their equipment?
I tried 2 different phone connectors from the wall to my codec, forget it.
In fact, I just tried another. No dice.
*sigh*

However—
Telos is going to send me a loaner unit FOR FREE. This way I can make the final test to see if it's the darned codec that is in trouble. I should receive it tomorrow. Ted at Telos is a gem. I won't spend a dime unless the other Zephyr unit doesn't work either, and I'll ship it back on my dime.
If it turns out that the codec really is the trouble, they'll fix that under warranty and I'll have the working loaner Zephyr until then.

Meh!
What a comedy of (network) errors!
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, DB, what a headache. You can't live with it (technology), and you can't live without it, right?

I hope that you find your solution with this next step so you can be on your merry way and not have to worry about it.

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre,

You're ISDN troubles make mine pale in comparison. I've had about a month of struggles that have finally been tracked down to a failing long-distance switch in the local telco offices. Changing to a different long distance provider on my ISDN service has taken care of the problem for the past several days.

I hope and pray that you're able to track down the troubles and get them resolved once and for all.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow DB - sorry to hear that!
About finding so many network problems - there are ALWAYS some level of errors or problems in their networks. Their usually only detected or investigated when someone pushes that has tech problems with something other than a plain phone.

In any case - about Bob's long distance - the most reliable network for long distance ISDN (for me) has been M C I dunno why - just worked out that way.

PEACE.
-Anthony
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anthony,

Interesting. M C I is in fact the company to which I've just switched!
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob is this happening for incoming calls? Or are you dialing out and having issues with your long distance carrier? Just wondering.

Here is a list of PIC Codes in case anyone needs them. I believe you can just dial the code before your number and it will route the call to that long distance provider.....1010222 is MCI's code.

http://www.thedigest.com/faq/picodes.html
JTVG
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not an ISDN expert but having months worth of trouble as well, I've picked up on quite a bit. Seemingly if the tech tests the line and it's ok, but your unit won't go into ready at that exact time, the problem is on your end. I had issues where mine would go in and out of "ready" but would always seem to work when they tested the line. This can be maddening because if the line is working according to the tech, it's "good" in their eyes and you must either A - be lying or B - have bad equipment. (so they say anyway). So your situation is good because solid continuous problems are almost always easier to troubleshoot then intermittent problems.

It's cool that Telos is lending you a free unit. Ted, by the way, told me he's the guy that voices most of the late night Time Life informercials so he can relate pretty well to us voice actors and our ISDN struggles.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got MCI, thank goodness.

We discovered some of the inside-TelCo office trouble by using another carrier to pull up a test connection. I'm a troubleshooting demon, I am.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BenWils wrote:
Bob is this happening for incoming calls? Or are you dialing out and having issues with your long distance carrier?

Ben,

The trouble related to calls in both directions. What made it hard to track down is that it wasn't a constant problem because whatever was failing in the telco's long-distance switching equipment hadn't gone completely, so it was intermittent. A truly dedicated tech guy working the evening shift at the telco took a personal interest in my problem and worked for days to track down the issue for me.

In fact, while I was typing this note, he just called me to double-check to make sure that changing to M C I has fixed my problems. I was very glad to be able to say "yes" (at least so far) and to be able to thank him personally for all he's done for me.
+1-724-613-2749
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmmm....that is weird, Bob. I hope the problem is resolved and you have no more issues with it. These type of hard-to-track frazzles can make times very frustrating. I am so glad you got help from a 'telco angel'. People that go above and beyond are the best!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Above and Beyond"

That describes my pal Michelle, the ISDN Goddess on Northern NE Verizon.
Between her and Ted of Telos, I'm really quite confident my problems will straighten out.
bobbinbeamo
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB- Sorry to hear of your tech woes. And during the busy holidays to boot! Hopefully the ISDN Gods will be smiling upon your situation soon!
BenWils
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DB, I am so sorry, I got so curious about Bob's problem, I forgot you had the initial complications. I hope things get worked out soon. Michele sounds like another one of those 'telco angels' to me.

I can attest to Ted's greatness as well. He solved my minor issues in like 30 seconds (user error Rolls Eyes Rolls Eyes ) He is the coolest of the cool!
anthonyVO
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Interesting. M C I is in fact the company to which I've just switched!

Word is that only AT&T, MCI, and Sprint can guarantee 64Kbps via ISDN. Additionally, some of the dialaround codes should be avoided for a couple of reasons:

1 - if you use 1010222 (which is MCI's dial-around code as Ben pointed out) BUT you don't already have MCI as your PIC, then you will be pretty much killed by the rate!

2 - some 1010xxx are trunked differently than the regular LD calls, resulting in only 56kbps max (for example 1010321 which I believe is Telecom - that belongs to MCI is trunked differently than direct MCI or 1010222 calls)

Hope that helps some avoid problems. In any case, EDNET, who handles my service for me (thank GOD because Vz in NJ is not the easiest place to call for ANYTHING) requires MCI as the pic because in their experience they've been the most reliable for LD data ISDN calls.

PEACE.
-Anthony

Last edited by anthonyVO on Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 9:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

Got a Zephyr Xstream from Telos today and hooked that puppy up. Took some wrangling with TelCo to get it to work, but it by golly DID work.

My own Zephyr 9202 had different readings today-- it went to INIT instead of staying on INACT.
Still, no dice with my unit, so I'm sending it off to Telos.
What the heck.

None of this makes sense.

At least this new unit is totally quiet!
When mines came back, they had re-invigorated the fan, and that little beastie is LOUD.
I put in an interrupt switch
oh holy crap

You don't think a tiny case mod is going to void my warranty do you? I put an on/off switch in the fan circuit rather than cut out the fan completely. I keep it on most of the time, only turning it off for live sessions with recording studio clients. It worked fine for months before I started getting the trouble that caused this mess.

oh, boy.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: