VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Equipment Crossroad
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Wed Sep 28, 2005 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mary,

In the event that I do receive a message from anybody claiming to represent MCM Voices, I will be sure to report it as spam to the appropriate authorities immediately, followed promptly by a quick reply to make sure your representative isn't really interested, simply having a moment of weakness for a product that she really shouldn't express interest in then, deletion of the suspect message.

The new mic was supposed to be delivered by 8pm tonight by UPS, but here it is, 9:30 in Calgary and.... NO MIC Frown :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :twisted: :evil: I'm bordering on tears and extreme anger!!! I WANT MY MIC!! :cry: It's like telling a kid that Christmas is actually on December 24th and then making him wait until the 25th to open the presents!

See ya later.
donrandall

PostPosted: Sun Oct 02, 2005 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I actually just completed the sale on the Presonus Eureka. I found an awesome deal for a brand new unit complete with the AD192 card for $449 plus shipping of about $30. I'm not to sure about whether or not I'll use the AD192, I may just sell it, but I'd welcome your input if you have it with your unit.

Hey Brian - I think you'll enjoy the Presonus.

I actually did have the opportunity to test and compare a couple of other units and decided on the Presonus. The only thing that could be called a negative is the small, difficult to read print which labels each of the tiny little control knobs.

I am not unhappy with mine at all. It's just that old "equipment envy" thing. You know, the other guy's grass is greener and all that. It sure sounds as though you got the righteous price!

Lemme know how ya like it, after ya have a little time to fool around it and get it all dialed in.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
The new mic was supposed to be delivered by 8pm tonight by UPS, but here it is, 9:30 in Calgary and.... NO MIC Frown :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :twisted: :evil: I'm bordering on tears and extreme anger!!! I WANT MY MIC!! :cry:

You've been quiet. The new mic must have arrived.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You better believe it!!! I got the mic and can't stop giggling!!! I must have about 3-hours of recorded child like giggling... just me loving it! Laugh

The Presonus Eureka showed up last night, I just picked up some new cables and I'll be hooking it up, I can't wait to hear it!

In all truthfullness though, the last few days have been unbelievabley busy! Between my day/night/anytime job and auditions etc, I haven't found much time to sleep, never mind all the other fun stuff.

But, I'm still alive! I'll be messing around later this afternoon with the new setup and I may post some files just for comparison between the old rig and the new rig.

Chat soon... See Y'all
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad you sent up a flare. Me and Kevin were about to organize a search party.

Now we can just have a party, period.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Oct 04, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! I can go lose contact with my loved ones for longer without it even being noticed. Then usually when I do hear from them they want something from me!

Okay... what do you want? I just gave my last buck to a guy on the corner............. Perhaps a nifty little Rode NT1000??? It's a great mic! Hey, Huh, yeah... you want???

You guys rock!!

Cheers
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Thu Oct 13, 2005 2:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Update:

I have insulated the ceiling of my recording room and put up Sonex acoustic foam.

I have ordered and just received a Symetrix 528e voice processor.

After I set up the Symetrix and learn how to use it, I will make a final decision about the mic, but am strongly leaning toward an AT4047. Despite Kevin's siren call, I probably will not be looking at the Lawson L47 FET Gasp

Thank-you to all who responded here and to all who helped me offline, especially Nick, Charlie, DB, Kevin, Frank, Drew, and Phil! I think life is going to be better from now on.

This is truly a stellar community, the best in the business.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: At 3060 Reply with quote

MCM, You may want to look at the AT 3060 too. It is a tube mic that runs on 48v phantom power with no additional clunky power supply. There being sold at a discount on ebay for $279 comlete with a shock mount.

Anyone try one out?? I've never tried one.

It is featured on the cover of Harlan Hogan and Jeffrey Fishers's book on home recording for VOs. I emailed Jeffery who is an engineer some time ago and he likes them. Though I haven't found one locally to try out.

Greg
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

Ya know, I think that's the 2nd time you mentioned Harlan Hogan's book. He giving you a kickback? :wink:

Based upon your recommendation and Harlan's reputation, I ordered both Harlan's books from Amazon.com. They arrived today. I'm looking forward to reading them.

My Voiceover reference library is rather large, but as yet, haven't read Harlan's stuff.

Party on, kids.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Kick-back Reply with quote

No kick-back, maybe a kick-in-the-behind from Harlan to get goiong and market myself. Lisaloo knows him from Chicago. You'll see that mic on the cover. I have quite a VO library too (about 15 books). I read alot. I like Harlan's writing style and he has some great VO tales worked in with some good tips.

Do you have the Art of Voice Acting too? I have been training with Jim Alsburger (who wrote the book)and Penny Abshire. Hey, another plug, I ought to be sending them invoices!! Silly me, I pay them to take classes instead. I think I am doing something wrong.

Greg
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

No, I don't... not yet. However, that one is on my Amazon.com wish list!

Hell, Greg... you could be their publicist! LOL

You know, there comes a time when we need to put reading on the back burner and concentrate on making some income. Laugh

Do you know whatever happened to that other board we used to frequent?
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 8:52 pm    Post subject: Re: At 3060 Reply with quote

GregAllen wrote:
MCM, You may want to look at the AT 3060 too. It is a tube mic that runs on 48v phantom power with no additional clunky power supply. There being sold at a discount on ebay for $279 comlete with a shock mount.

Okay, y'all can stop distracting me with all your great suggestions because I ordered a mic this afternoon. I got, not the 4047, but the 4060, a tube condenser with additional clunky power supply.

I'm having fun with the Symetrix. My husband is quite grumpy about this purchase as he thinks I should have gone with an external audio interface. He says "for that kind of money you'd think they coulda put a power switch on it." Gasp But I'm nuts about it.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Fri Oct 14, 2005 11:34 pm    Post subject: Re: At 3060 Reply with quote

GregAllen wrote:
... You may want to look at the AT 3060 too.

In general, AT mics are an excellent investment but the AT 3xxxx series is billed as their consumer level product, the AT 4xxxx series is billed as professional grade.

Kevin
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Sat Oct 15, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: mics Reply with quote

The 4060 is a better mofdel than the 3060. You did well.
ross douglas

PostPosted: Fri Oct 28, 2005 5:31 pm    Post subject: gear Reply with quote

Concerning mikes and preamps etc.and cost in the search for the warm sound.
I have an Apex 460 which I discovered because I was in a fairly major Studio in Vancouver and they'd been raving about their quality and price ( around $250) Large diaphragm with it's own power source and about 9 different settings 8 of which I'll probably never use.
I have the M audio Omni studio which has a great sound card for most things . I by pass their preamp with another I discovered that is actually called A Really Nice Pre-amp. Very simple set up that has worked like a charm for me. You can get it at catalogue places like Musicians Friend or possibly from their own website. Again I discovered it because a studio guy I know was raving about it.
As far as recording software - I have the precursor to Adobe Audition - Cool Edit Pro 2 . I have the updated Audition version but don't need it . A more user friendly system you will not find.
I've used this set-up to do quite a variety of things out of my home
with no complaints. The producer's at the other end will ultimately make it sound the way they want it to but that (for me at least) has given them the goods they can work with

Cheers,

Ross Douglas
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: