VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I love equipment
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 12:41 pm    Post subject: I love equipment Reply with quote

I do, I really do.

So, I'm going to send my Symetrix in for repair. The snap/crackle/pop issue I was having in Oct. has suddenly re-appeared, and the solution of turning the knobs to kinda "clean 'em up and move things around" isn't working. So, it's time.

That said, I'm guessing I can just plug my mic (Sennheiser MKH416) directly into my MBox2, right? Right now, my Symetrix is plugged into the MBox2 (MBox Input 1 DI is connected tothe Symetrix Balanced Output, and then the MBox is connected to my little board... Mon Out L&R to Board's Line In 3/4 L&R). Can I just plug the mic in there?

I would guess so since there is a mic input. I just want to check before I blow everything up or something.

THANKS!!!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

I use an MBox2 when I'm not the road most of the time. Yes, you can plug your mic in to the Mic input of the MBox2. Just remember to turn on the Phamtom power on your MBox2 or you won't hear anything from your mic.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob, and thanks for your help on the phone!!! It works... boy, do I sound a tad different without the Symetrix though. It's all good though.... THANK YOU!!!

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

My pleasure. It was very nice catching up with you on the phone, too.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn - This may be a bit redundant and you may have already answered the questions, but have you tried replacing your cables? Also, are you writing to a secondary drive while recording or are you using the same HD for the OS and audio files. I found on slower systems, be it a Mac or PC, if I record my audio on the same hard disk that the OS is installed I get periodic noise in the form of crackles and snaps.

I suppose this is all moot if your recordings are cleared up by plugging into the MBox though.

Just some suggestions and slap me around if I am out of line.

Good luck
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Oh no, I would never slap you around!! I really REALLY appreciate the trouble shooting!!

Well, you see, I had this problem in October. At that time, upon the advice of Frank Frederick, I did buy an external hard drive. So all of my audio is saved to that.

However, what seemed to solve my snap/crackle/pop problem was playing with the knobs on my Symetrix... particularly the mic gain knob. An engineer friend suggested I do this b/c sometimes they get dust, etc. in them, and moving them cleans them up. And, I also noticed that the problem happened or became worse the warmer my studio was (I obviously try to keep it cool, but I was working on a long project with the door closed... ) Anyway, moving the knobs worked...

... until this past Friday. When I moved the mic gain knob to "clean it up," the snap/crackle/pop was really really bad as I moved the knob. Which led me to the conclusion that I think it's my Symetrix. With the Symetrix out of the chain, I'm not getting the snap/crackle/pop, so I'm pretty sure it was the Symetrix.

THANKS though... very good tips that I may not have thought of...

Last edited by CarynClark on Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:55 am; edited 1 time in total
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're going to sound different because the preamps in the Mbox are way different from the Symetrix.

I hope you get your baby all cleaned up real soon.
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

Got ya. Frank is a great resource and probably better qualified to help you.

Another suggestion for the future, if you have not done so already, is to try to spray some Electronic Tuner cleaner/lubricant on the Potentiometers of your Symetrix. It could save you from having to send it in for repairs.
http://www.radioshack.com/sm-tv-tuner-control-cleaner-and-lubricant--pi-2103700.html
http://www.blowoff.com/lubricants/electronics_lubricant.htm

Good luck.
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ohhh... thanks for that tip!!!!!

Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CramolinŽ used to be like the duct tape of electronics. Smile Now there are even more options.
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to bring this old thread back up again, but guess what?

The snap, crackle, pop and static is back as of this morning.

Ugh.

I'm running out to buy the lubricant you all suggested. Thank you so much for the suggestion. I really appreciate it.

I'm curious, how often do you guys find you have to use the lubricant? Can you use too much? I just sent this machine back for repair 6 weeks ago and the noise is back! Is this normal?

Symetrix is going to call me back, but I think they're going to offer to repair it for free this time around. However, I HATE being without it (gotta ship it, etc). Maybe it's just a lemon. Do they go bad?

Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarynClark wrote:
Do they go bad?

yes, and more often than I care to deal with, which is why certain brands I avoid like the plague (Symetrix is usually pretty good though).

Look at it from a different perspective though... you could always use an extra preamp or two in your arsenal of tools. Smile

/a fair warning that that type of thinking has lead me to the insanity which I now enjoy Wink

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ha! Hmmm... I'd rather stay sane.

The Symetrix tech support are really very nice. The guy just spent 45 minutes on the phone with me testing various things.

We think that while they did repair the Symetrix, and it was necessary, that the current issue might be my POS (email me for translation if you can't figure it out) Behringer Xenyx 802 board. Which, I knew I was being budget conscious when I bought it... it was my last piece of equipment to buy.

I'm going to Guitar Center to buy a new board. Prolly a Mackie.

tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

How exciting! I look for any excuse to buy new equipment. Wink Have fun!
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarynClark wrote:
the current issue might be my POS (email me for translation if you can't figure it out) Behringer Xenyx 802 board.

No need for a translation there. POS = Point Of Sale system.

If you had mentioned that in your first post we could have figured out your problem much more quickly. While electronic cash registers are a wonderful tool when used properly, I don't think they belong in your audio equipment chain.

No need to thank me.

The Voice of Bob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: