VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sennheiser 416 or Neumann U87 for VO+?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Geronimo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:24 am    Post subject: Sennheiser 416 or Neumann U87 for VO+? Reply with quote

Ok, so this question in its context is a bit of a stretch, but I’m going to throw it out there anyway – so work with me!

I’ve been working in VO for the past 5 years as a hobby and want to now step it up to professional work. I also do some guitar/vocals recording and DV filmmaking - both of which are hobbies, but if I had to choose between those two in terms of importance, the filmmaking would definitely take precedence with a better possibility of taking off.

In advancing my VO career, I am upgrading my home studio equipment. I have settled on a Great River ME-1NV pre, and have a high-end PC running Vista and Audition 3.0. This leaves me two links (at minimum) of the chain to figure out.

The first of the two links, and the most important to me, is the mic. For the sake of this thread, let’s set cost aside – I’ll figure that in as a pro/con on my own in the end. I am open to other suggestions if anyone has a strong opinion for another option, but I am contrasting the Sennheiser 416 and the Neumann U87, both of which are staple VO mics.

The Sennheiser 416 is a high-end VO mic, and also a high end shotgun for filmmaking. The only non-lav mic I have for filmmaking is an Oktava MK012A. It works well enough for close in miking, but it is definitely not a shotgun. The Senn 416 would certainly be an upgrade for filming. The drawback is that, as far as I know, it doesn’t work well for guitar and music vocals, and other than the Octava, I have no other mic for guitar/song vocals.

The Neumann U87 is an extremely high-end VO mic, and also extremely high-end for miking acoustic guitar/song vocals. The drawback is that it has, as far as I know, little place in the filmmaking world other than voiceovers, of course.

Besides hearing people's thoughts on what would be a better mic not only for VO, but for the additional uses of film/guitar/song vocals, if they even apply, I'd like to hear people's opinions of the drawbacks of each of the mics. Meaning, I don't want to hear only the great things about each mic, but also the crappiest issues with each mic.

I should also mention the Neumann TLM103. Many people seem to rank it slightly below the 416, but not seen as a VO standard on the same level as the 416. From the many reviews I have read, there seems to be a love/hate relationship with this mic. Either people love it, or they hate it.

The other missing link is the space between the GR ME-1NV and my computer – the audio interface. In all honesty, while not the focus of this thread, I am open to suggestions in this area. At the moment, I am not looking for a mixer, de-esser, etc., and I would prefer firewire. I am also open to any suggestions to the contrary if it makes sense.

Any and all input on the mics and AI would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

PS - I initially wrote up this question for the vo-bb forum, but when I registered for the forum, I found out there was a wait. I wound up posting the same question on gearslutz. Now that my registration has been approved here, I am posting here because as a VO-centric forum, I care much more about the opinions of you knuckleheads here than over there. So for those who visit both forums, I apologize for any perceived cross-forum posting.
Gp

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's always going to be, when it comes to mic choice, what sounds best to you. Is the 416 or the U87 better? Only you can decide. I know that's not what you want to hear. However, it's the only real answer. No one else can tell you. Try them both and decide which you want.
Geronimo

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're right - it's not what I want to hear. And you are also right - it's the only real answer.

However, that other missing link then becomes even more important, because I cannot test ANY mic without an AI to plug it into the computer. So knowing what my mic choices are, up to this point, what are your suggestions for the AI?

BTW - this in no way precludes anyone else from giving their opinion on the mic situation. I'd love to hear it!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Before you make the decision on the AI and the microphone... which audio software are you using or do you intend to use?

Adobe Audition? ProTools? Nuendo? Vegas? Etc.? Each software editing program has pro's and con's; each program may have different requirements for an AI. If your choices reveal you are only doing VO you might consider keeping the AI simple with few In's and Out's. If you often record music for film scores, you might choose a more involved AI and a more robust editor.

Are you buying an audio mixer/controller? Which microphone cables are you purchasing? Are you buying sound absorbing material, and how are you going to place the foam pr "Furalax" (inside joke - sorry)? Which monitors are you going to purchase? Which headphones? All of these items and more relate to your desires and your style of working environment.

Since you do film, you have many choices to consider. There are many discussions on all of the above related VO matters in the VO-BB archives. Personally, I do not suggest using a shotgun for VO work - unless certain other criteria are met including type of voice, environment, type of work desired, etc.

Although a U87 is a great microphone (and I use the Neuman), it is not for everyone. I would love to own a Sony C-8, but that relates to why I say the Neuman is not for everyone. You must choose a microphone which is "right" for your voice and your style of work. Try several microphones by contacting local studios and asking them if they would allow you to "test" their microphones with your voice... it might take a few minutes or half an hour at each studio on each microphone but you will hear the nuances and variety to help determine which microphone you prefer.

Once you have made your choices, let us know what the choices are and post a sample of your work.

Toodles

F2
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 10:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Give a listen to Mike's Mics at the top of this forum.

That will give you an idea of the comparable sounds.
The sound of your mic is quite dependent on your room, as well.
Bill Campbell
DC

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The U87 has more uses in VO than the 416. You'd better have a good voice for them, though. They are very revealing mics.

No matter what mic you go with, buy an Avalon M5 pre-amp. It will make any mic sound a little better.

And don't forget your recording environment. A quiet room with low reflection is extremely important. A bad room will not allow you to get the full benefit of excellent gear.

Have fun on your quest!!
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bill Campbell wrote:

No matter what mic you go with, buy an Avalon M5 pre-amp. It will make any mic sound a little better.

Or just add a bit of HF to your GR ME-1NV. Wink

Seriously, any clean preamp will do. Anything more is personal preference.

But for the most part, just find what works for your voice and the type of VO you do. The rest should be gravy from there.

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Jowillie
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where is it posted on Gearslutz? Under which forum?
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Even a U87 or even a 416 through a good preamp in a bad room sounds...(wait for it)...not so nice!
Craig
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: where Reply with quote

DB,

I can't find the Mike's Mics you refer to.

Craig
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 3:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Taking the practical approach. There are claims that the MKH416 is the industry standard mic. In truth it just means that a number of studios and voices use them in Los Angeles. In 18 years of voice over work I have been recorded using an MKH416 twice, once on location and once by a producer who had his own location kit and so the mic he used was the same one he used on location. Nothing wrong with the mic at all; if you like it and more important if it likes you then buy it. I said "practical" didn't I? OK. Here's the thought. The U87 has the global reputation in voice over work and with a little bit of withcraft it is possible to make it sound like an MKH416, having said that it does not work the other way around. Budget permitting, go for the U87.

In my wee huttie I have a U87. Why? When I was putting things together a sound engineer with over 30 years in the business told me that was the mic to buy.

His advice to me was very simple.

"Once you have a nice dead room. Buy the most expensive mic you can't afford, this is perfect (he pointed to a U87) and then buy the rest of your kit with what you have left."
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I own a 416 and love it.

I don't use it on my voice, but as a video mic.

I'm with Phil on this one. In my case, I use a Horch for spots where one might normally use the 416 (because the 416 doesn't work to my liking on my voice). Pretty much everything else I use a U87 on.

I've got a lot of mics, and a lot of outboard gear (it's a sickness, trust me). That said, I find myself returning to the same two preamps and mics for everything. Most of the stuff I do winds up recorded by a U87, the rest by the Horch (and I'll admit that I have one of those for two reasons: I sound frigging awesome on it, and nobody else I know has one).

It's not about the gun, it's the gunfighter that counts in this fight Bitchin

View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Gp

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also look for a vintage U87. The new ai's are not all that great. IMHO If you do get an ai there is a co called Innertube Audio here This makes the mic mucho better.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Feb 15, 2008 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gp wrote:
The new ai's are not all that great.

I have to disagree with this one. I have at least one of the innertube mod, Klaus Heyne modded U87, i, and the Ai. Each are great mics in their own way, but each is different.

For VO I prefer the AI (while some state that the difference between the "i" and "Ai" models is huge, it's actually just modifications made to the internal electronics). It has a better signal-to-noise ratio, and increased headroom compared to the original version.

Toss the thing into a Telefunken preamp and it sounds like a U67 (which the U87 was originally designed to replace).

That said, that's the cool (and oft-times maddening) thing about gear. One man's gold is another man's garbage. You've got to find your own tools Bitchin

Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 1 of 9

Jump to: