VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MBox2 issue
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:13 am    Post subject: MBox2 issue Reply with quote

Hi there all,

Courvo's experience in calling Digi makes me a little apprehensive. I do plan to call them though... they're not open yet.

In the meantime, I'll share my plight in case any of you have any ideas.

I recently had my Symetrix repaired, and when I hooked it back up...

I'm getting a high pitch sound from my MBox2, and it's leaking into my recordings. I can hear it in my headphones as a constant (drives me batty), but I don't hear it as part of the track, or see it as part of the track, during playback. But the engineers hear it in the track. One sent me the audio back so I could hear it and ewwww!

One engineer friend said, "It's not the Symetrix doing it because I hear it being gated by the Symetrix. It must be the M-box. Only thing it could be really. No way a mic or cable could cause it."

But they didn't have any ideas as to how to fix. Thoughts?

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you hooked everything back up, did you change your cable routing? Perhaps it's picking up something there. Move them around, unplug and plug again to be sure of a good connection. Crank up the audio in your headphones to see if you can hear it and bend around/move your cables.

The Voice of Bob
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEY, I found an answer on their site!! Now... how do I fix this. <sigh>

Mbox or Mbox 2 experiences whine or high pitched noise while in use.
The problem is related to either the computer itself, or to ground loops induced by plugging gear into multiple outlets or just plain bad grounding. The Mbox is generally not the culprit.

The following steps can help resolve the issue:

1) Plug all gear into the same outlet and/or make sure your outlets have a good ground.
2) Use TRS (balanced) cables from the outputs of the Mbox.
3) Get a Monster 'Ultimate Performance' USB Cable

If you are on a G5 and the above recommendations don't help, you can install the Apple Developer Tool called CHUD which helps remove noise cause by the processor to be eliminated.

More information on installing CHUD: http://www.digidesign.com/index.cfm?navid=54&langid=1&itemid=20534

Further troubleshooting and help with 60 cycle hum issues click here.
[Page View]

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I didn't see your reply. Nope, I didn't change any cable routing. I had this high pitch when I originally hooked up my equipment, but I'm not sure how it went away, but it did.

I don't think it's a ground issue. I unplugged everything one by one and still get the noise. However, I do have an extender cable on my usb cable, and it appears that when I unhook that and hook it in with just one USB cable, the whine is gone... although I do hear some other interference. I'm going to take Digi's suggestion and order a Monster Ultimate Performance USB cable.

I dunno if that's really the solution though.

They also mention running audio and power cables parallel (not to do that) and crossing them at 90 (degree angles, I assume). Well, all of mine are clumped together and just run down the wall to either my desk (where my mixer is) or the floor (where the power and computer is). Heard of this as an issue before?

TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarynClark wrote:
Hey, I didn't see your reply. Nope, I didn't change any cable routing. I had this high pitch when I originally hooked up my equipment, but I'm not sure how it went away, but it did.

They also mention running audio and power cables parallel (not to do that) and crossing them at 90 (degree angles, I assume). Well, all of mine are clumped together and just run down the wall to either my desk (where my mixer is) or the floor (where the power and computer is). Heard of this as an issue before?

Yes. That is because of the electromagnetic field that any current passing through a conductor creates. This is the property that makes an electric motor work and makes generators work. By crossing them at a 90 degree angle, you have transected the lines of force at that angle instead of running them in parallel. This greatly reduces their effect. This is why AC current is AC. The EMF varies as the lines of force change between a magnet and a wire, angles increasing then decreasing, then starts going in the negative direction, thus creating a sine wave.

A better cable usually means better shielding. This goes for power cords too. Make sure any extensions aren't those cheap ones, keep all cables at a minimum length, and keep audio and power away or 90 degree crossed. If you want more techno babble, I can PM you or call.

Want to chat hysterisis loops?

The Voice of Bob

Last edited by TheVoiceOfBob on Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:02 am; edited 2 times in total
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

First, I'm sorry I wasn't able to help you with this problem the other day. Second, having ones cables clustered together (power and audio) is a common source of noise in the recording chain. Third, it's significant that you hear the noise go away when you take your USB extender cable out of the picture, even though some other problems surface when you do so.

Try moving your cables so that, if they all have to get to the same place, at least they are not right next to one another and see if that makes a difference.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Bob, please, don't be sorry. You were a huge help the other night!!!

I've also been told by my local audio center about getting a ground lift. Though in my internet reading this afternoon, they refer to the ground lift helping a 60hz interference, and from what I can tell, that would be a hum. My noise is not a hum. It's a whine.

All my cables are balanced.

I'll get my hubby to bore another hole into my shelf where my Symetrix and Zephyr are so that the power cables can run down to the floor to the Monster Power strip separate from my audio cables running to my board and MBox. They'll still be parallel though, but a good 12 inches apart. Will that help?

bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

I'm not an expert in these matters, but I would think 12 inches would be plenty. The main thing, though, is to be sure any USB or audio cables are not running right next to any power cables.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarynClark wrote:
I do have an extender cable on my usb cable, and it appears that when I unhook that and hook it in with just one USB cable, the whine is gone... although I do hear some other interference.

ugh, never use a USB extender cable. I had the exact same problem with my Mbox a while back. And don't pay any extra for Monster brand. They aren't any better than a decent cable from Best Buy. Just buy one USB cable that's the correct length.

If you're still hearing crud in your recordings, narrow down your variables. Start with the simplest chain possible, plug mic into Mbox into computer only. Do you still have the interference? If not, then slowly start to add other elements back in (mixer, Symmetrix, etc) until youisolate the problem.
TheVoiceOfBob
14th Avenue

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
Caryn,

I'm not an expert in these matters, but I would think 12 inches would be plenty.

For the power we are talking here, 12 inches is plenty.

Because you mention it to be a high pitch, I agree that it most likely has nothing to do with power. Harmonics are always possible, but since you did notice a difference with the shorter USB, that is a good place to start. USB cables aren't normally asked to shield well enough to satisfy audiophiles as picky as we are.

You can TRY a better quality extension if you must have that length, but keep the receipt. The better option might be to find one quality cable that is the proper length, no extensions.

The Voice of Bob
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, you guys are awesome!! If it weren't for you guys, I think I would have run screaming out of my studio.

I did a lot of plugging and unplugging to isolate the issue, and I'm pretty confident it's the mBox. I plugged my phones right into one of the mon out jacks, and could still hear the whine. But, I guess it could be my board. ? Not sure how to test that. ?

Ok, here's what I've done:

- I'm no longer using the USB extender... I moved my MBox down a shelf so that it's on the desk with me.

- I've ordered the Monster USB cable. I know, I'm probably throwing my money away, but Digi specifically noted that particular cable in the troubleshooting document about the whine, so I figure they must have some success with it. Or, they own Monster. Smile

- I've moved all of my power cords so that they're not touching my audio cables. So, now my power cords for my Symetrix, Zephyr and little board are running in front of my desk, and audio cables all run behind (except for my mic cable). Unfortunately, they are quite near my mic cable, but they're intersecting at, oh, maybe a 60 degree angle. Best I can do.

The result of this is.... I still have the whine, but it's definitely MUCH more faint through my headphones.

The last resort will be ditching ProTools (which, I'm used to using) and using Adobe Audition. Then I don't need the mBox, right? Or do I?

bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caryn,

You wouldn't need the MBox, but you would need some kind of professional audio interface.
+1-724-613-2749
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, yes... I've discussed the use of Audition with F2 inthe past, but it was in October.

Jeffrey Kafer
Assistant Zookeeper

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dumping Pro Tools would open a whole new can of worms. The hardware and software are so linked together that other options are met with little success.

OK, so Audition supports ASIO drivers, which are a fairly universal kind of driver. I believe DD has published an ASIO driver for the Mbox, but I don't know how well it works with non-Pro Tools software. You can download ASIO4ALL which supposedly works with the Mbox2. Then in audio hardware setup of Audition, change the driver to ASIO4ALL.

At this point, I'd troubleshoot your problem before throwing the baby out with the bathwater.
Chuck Davis
M&M

Location: Where I love to be...Between the Vineyards and the Cows.

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a somewhat similar problem awhile back. Rather than the "whine" coming thru the M-Box I'd hear it come from the native sound card on my PC's motherboard...but only when PT was running. It's something like a "carrier frequency" bleed from the USB bus to the integrated audio stuff. Solution? Mute the soundcard output on the board when I'm running PT.

Caryn, chances are what you're hearing is related to this...hence Digi's recomendation of a better shielded USB cable. I tried the same one here...made no difference but...the problem is in the PC..not the cable for me.

When I upgrade mobo and processor down the road I'll just use a separate/better shielded sound card and shut off any integrated audio on the new mobo if it's so equipped.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: