VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

SuSe Linux
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:26 pm    Post subject: SuSe Linux Reply with quote

Hey there,

I just had a partial desktop given to me (I had to throw in the ram, vid card and harddrive). Since I already have all the computers I need I just threw Open SuSe Linux just for fun on it and am starting a podcast internet radio station with Rivendell (also free from Salem Communications). I really like how Linux works and was wondering if any one knew of any audio editing software for it? I'm also thinking of adding it to my laptop (Windows Vista SP1) and was wondering how to do that with out deleting everything. I'm brand new to linux... So any advice or insight would be apprecaited, thanks!
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audacity is available for Linux. Works the same as the other versions.

That's the only one I know of right off hand.
glittlefield
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 1:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm with Allen. Audacity's the only one I'm aware of atm...

I wouldn't recommend doing a dual-boot of Linux and Vista. It's been my experience that the Linux boot loader takes over and it's a pain to give the bootup preferences back to Windows.

...in my experiences, anyway.
VO-BB Member #59
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with the use of Audacity with the Linux.
Here some other good info fer ya.
http://www.suseforums.net/lofiversion/index.php/t18140.html

But, if you are not hard set to use SUSE, then you may consider UbuntuStudio. It has many Audio recording options built in.
http://ubuntustudio.org/

And, if you do plan to do a dual boot with Linux and Vista, be sure to use something like the GRUB boot loader. Here is a good example.
http://www.novell.com/coolsolutions/tip/19753.html

Good luck.
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool... How do you install something on linux?? lol.
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can use either YaST(SuSE) or rpm, but it depends on how the bits are packaged.

Give this a try for Audacity with SuSE:
http://digitaltippingpoint.com/forum/index.php?topic=6.0
billelder

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For voiceover applications with Linux you might find a lack of available drivers for certain peripherals. M-Audio is Linux friendly. In my case, Ubuntu had drivers for my Epson printer but not for the HP scanner.

I have two computers on Linux. One is Ubuntu and the other is an internet tablet that uses Maemo. Very stable. I don't plan to ever update my Windows 2000 OS. I'll go Mac or Linux before that happens. <g>

I like the audio software on Ubuntu, but the program is overkill for what I need. Like Jon said, Audacity is a good "record a track, make a file" program.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 5:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't messed with my Linux system in a few months, but now I may have to crank it back up. I've tried Suse, Ubuntu, K-Ubuntu, Red Hat and Fedora Core. Of those, I like Fedora Core best. My Linux system is Federa Core 3 (yeah, I know, it's behind a bit...) and I love it. It was easy to get up and running and supported everything in the box and hooked up to it with the exception of the Echo Mia/Midi card. There are modules for this card, but I could never get it to work.

Like Bill, I have Windows 2000 Pro and really don't want to upgrade, but I may have to because of a recent all-in-one printer purchase that I can only use on the laptop, which stays with me at the day job.

Linux is a great OS and once you get it up and running, it's very stable and will look and behave just like you want it. That's why I love it....it's fully customizable. You want it to look like a Mac, no problem, Windows, no problem...just whatever you like. Now, if only there were some good audio recording programs out there.... Wink

I do have a small server running on my network (oppalumni.net) that runs Red Hat 9. Solid as a rock. Before the last time I interrupted it, that box had not been restarted in just over a year. Here's the current uptime.

[root@oppalumni root]# uptime
06:01:24 up 23 days, 14:31, 1 user, load average: 0.07, 0.02, 0.00

A
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for all the information. Linux is not install user friendly at all... But - It's a great way to learn the command system!

Thanks again for all the help, I'll let you know how it all goes!
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Isaiah,

Another Linux audio program is Ardour; which is quite powerful, multi-track and bears a more than passing resemblance to Pro Tools.

As for the install question, though it's been a few years since I ran the SuSE distribution, I remember using YaST as pretty simple. Assuming that SuSE has Audacity and/or Ardour in their repositories, just add the relevant repository and from there it's a couple of clicks.

Personally, I use Mandriva Linux and really like their software management package.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
donrandall

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Geezers, I went over to Firefox a coupla yrs ago and thought I was really getting hip to the high tech stuff - - but you'se guys - - well, geezers, I think my head's gonna 'splode!
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob! I'm going to try that this weekend. So far I like SuSE. I'm starting to get comfortable with the commands. Sort of reminds me of MSDOS. I have to say though I love Linux, I wish vista was friendly with it because I would love to run both on my laptop. Linux is just soooo stable.
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izzy,

Izzy,

I'm not sure why you could not run both SuSE and Vista on your laptop. If you follow the instructions I listed earlier, then you should have no problem doing so. The suggestion is to install Vista first, then shrink the partition to accommodate Linux and then install Linux. If you do it the other way, Vista will pounce on top of the GRUB boot loader, but you can just reinstall GRUB from your SuSE CD to recover it.

As with everyone else, I am a big fan of Linux and have been one since about '96 back in the day of early SlackWare. It’s a shame it still has not become more of a consumer OS like Windows and Mac but it is still fun to mess with. Linux is also a great way to learn UNIX commands if you are so inclined. But, then again you could install Solaris 10 x86 and do the same. Because of my day job, I work Red Hat Enterprise and SuSE Enterprise as well as HP-UX and Solaris. I’m forced to work with Windows, but very reluctantly. Linux and UNIX are certainly my favs with regards to operating systems.
dagoldenknight86

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again everyone for the information. Jon, I did end up using your advice, thanks! But I am no longer using SuSE. I ran into several issues and am now using Ubuntu... I love it. Works great and so far no problems....

Now I need to figure out what I'm gonna do with windows... hmm...
Jon Morss

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 11:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Izzy,

One option you can look into is using VMWare Virtual Server on top of Ubuntu to run your Windows environment. Virtual Server is similar to VMWare Fusion for MAC in that you can create Virtual Machines that run other Operating Systems on the same hardware.
From my understanding, SuSE and Red Hat will be adding Xen to their Operating systems as an optional Kernel to boot so you can run the Xen Virtualization.

Just in case you are interested, here are some links for VMWare Virtual Server:
http://www.vmware.com/products/server/get.html
http://www.ubuntu-unleashed.com/2007/12/howto-install-vmware-server-on-ubuntu.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: