VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Be better tomorrow than you were today.....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dscott
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Fri Oct 27, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: improv - on the fly... Reply with quote

Does anyone here do live announcing?

I do a lot of events at my church since so many others have trouble using the mic at dinners and such, so for those large gatherings, raffles, auctions, etc. I get to "advertize" the items up for grabs, who the winners are, which table goes to the buffet line next, who the keynote speaker is etc...

Anyhow, this seems to me to be improv although not really acting... it does allow for "working the crowd" a great way to find out right away what works and what doesn't.

Cheers!
Dave
Doc

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave,

In fact, I DO! Actually, it's my favorite performance mode.

Currently, I host Tucson Idol, our local knockoff of the A.I. phenomenon.

I do my best and completely thrive upon live performing (though, NOT acting) and have been doing it for years. Other broadcasters, by and large, fear getting up in front of "faces" and doing what they do every day. Not me.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to do live auction/ fundraiser stuff. Sometimes it would be mixed in with a play, as though the auction is part of the plot. Wild! Exhausting.
I also do the TV auction stuff for the local public TV station.

I always liked "remotes" when I worked as a radio DJ!
dscott
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Oct 28, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: on the fly Reply with quote

There's a certain excitement about live... particularly when recovering from a flub! Wink
Dave
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's where improv comes in handy.

Live announcing is razor's edge stuff. Very exciting!
audio'connell
T-Shirt

Location: in a dark studio with a single bulb light...day after day after....

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at the risk of being about a year late to the party re the original question....it is acting and we're actors.

If someone records me using my daily conversational voice versus any voice I do professionally (including the everyman) its totally different, my professional voice requires acting skills. Those skills combined with my physical vocal flexibilty and versatility, keep me employed as a VO.

That said, I never ever wanted to do stage acting. I'd be mortified and likely no good at it. Hosting...fine no problem but not stage acting. Know your limits and likely that's one of mine.

I'll keep my acting limited to a recording studio.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The only live thing I've done is the show I'm currently in "Little Shop of Horrors" as the voice of the plant. Really no improv there since it's scripted but I do love Improv. It's just like being in the playground again and playing make-believe. TAG! YOUR IT!
Rognog
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I read an interesting article on backstage.com about cartoon voiceovers. To paraphrase a Nick Exec, she said VO acting is atill acting and stage actors make the best VO talents.

I'm biased because I went to college and graduate school for acting, but I know that I'm a much better VO talent for going to acting school. Technique, placement, breathing, understanding the character, etc. are all vital aspects of doing quality VO work. Can you be a great VO talent without acting training? Of course you can, but I think you're way ahead of the game with the training.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Voice Overs are pre-occupied with their sound, their approach and more than ever with the technology. Voice over actors (that can be by training or inclination) tend to look beyond the mic, pop shield, chest rumble, pipes and 10db extra on the top end.

The approach of the voice Over actor is what do I do for this not what does this do for me. That is better for the production.

A liitle while ago I saw a movie trailer, it was the Voice over's first pro movie trailer. I don't remember the movie, the title, the plot or anything else because the approach was not the Voice Over Actor approach, the trailer was all about him and his sound. We're about 12 months on from this epic production and this voice has not done another movie trailer.

I think to get the best out of a voice over career you need straight A's for having good ....

Acting
Attitude
Ability
Affability
Availability
CWToo

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
I think to get the best out of a voice over career you need straight A's for having good ....

Acting
Attitude
Ability
Affability
Availability

Banks,
You should get a Lifetime Achievement award for this. It should be hanging on the wall of every voice over studio on the planet. Well done.
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Mon Oct 30, 2006 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:

Acting
Attitude
Ability
Affability
Availability

That's fabulous. Thanks for that one.
Mike
Nasty Brit

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
Voice Overs are pre-occupied with their sound, their approach and more than ever with the technology. Voice over actors (that can be by training or inclination) tend to look beyond the mic, pop shield, chest rumble, pipes and 10db extra on the top end.

Oh Banksey! You're plonking yourself down on one end of the seesaw again. You are becoming the grand, and somehwhat cynical King Dichotomous. A healthy and light hearted foray into the more tech-headed aspects of our profession does not mean that we fail to appreciate and pursue the pure art of what we do and, for many of us, why we do it. The above statement is a gross simplification and can only be read as a statement on recent threads on this board. Especially in view of your cynical contributions to those threads.

I don't know why it made me angry. Maybe because it feels like a low swipe at those of us who have initiated these threads.

I'd better stop here.
Edo

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why don't we all have a cup of tea now Laugh
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sounds great!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Oct 31, 2006 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Served with home made Shepherds Pie. I'm told that as it was made with beef mince strictly speaking it was Cottage Pie, the former being so-called because it's made from lamb.

As far as I can tell this dish is the only practical use for frozen mixed veg. Ooooo mixed veg!! Very healthy. I soon put paid to that. Before putting the whole thing in the oven I topped the mash potato with grated cheese.

Needless to say the drink of choice was tea.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: