VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Bad hiss with M-Audio MobilePre

View previous topic :: View next topic  
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Bad hiss with M-Audio MobilePre Reply with quote

My brand new M-Audio MobilePre has a nasty hiss. Not just when I'm recording, when I listen to any audio file or CD. It even hisses into my cans when the mic is unplugged!

I've noticed from message board postings throughout the web that this is not an uncommon problem. Apparently, there is just not enough power to record loud enough, so one tends to crank the gain, and then the hiss begins.

One guys said that M-Audio told him to get another pre-amp to boost the signal.
Do you think I should add another pre-amp to my set up? (Which one?) Or should I take this box back to Guitar Center and get something else? (What do I get?)

Thanks!
Amy

Last edited by asnively on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Didn't you just buy it last week?

I don't have that unit so I can't comment on it specifically, but that is unacceptable. I would call tech support and have them do their thing. If the answer really is "buy a pre and boost the signal" then I would take the box back and try something else.

If you end up returning it, I've had good luck with my firebox so far.

What store are you using? See if there's some way you can set up your mic configuration in the store and test out interfaces before you ever take them home.
tackerman
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amy, I have one of those in my studio at the station and haven't noticed any problems.

I'd take it back, get a replacement unit and see if you still have the issue.

Could just be a bad piece of equipment. It happens.
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had the exact same problem. I took it back and replaced it with an MBox, and I've been happy ever since.
asnively
Triple G

PostPosted: Thu Jun 22, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, this is the box I just bought about about a week ago (my old pre-amp fell and broke it's little gain knob off.)

That hissing that I thought was the room, and then the mic cables, and then my gain settings, and then, and then... turned out to be this darned MobilePre. I was reticent to blame it because so many people love it!

Back to the store it goes. Urg. I'll plug it in there to check it. Thanks for the idea!

xoxo,
Amy

Last edited by asnively on Sat Feb 21, 2009 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
dhouston67
VO-BB Intarwebz Glossary Administrator

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 1:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Audio-gear message boards seem to be rife with MobilePre hiss complaints. Granted, it can come from many places in the chain, but one piece of gear to get so many overall complaints is a red flag. I'll keep shopping.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiss in the MobilePre comes from many sources, but mainly from the USB chips used in the MobiblePre and your PC or Mac box. M-Audio configured the MobilePre originally for a Mac laptop... so if you have one of those - it might be a good thing.

There are several ways to fix that on a PC... one of the easiest is to get another GOOD/BETTER USB 2.0 card (or at least an additional one to place in the box). Doing this changes how you use the USB chips on board the Motherboard - thus you will get a quieter USB connection.

Returning it and replacing it with another MobilePre is going to nothing for you but make you angry and more broke... (I know it's b-a-a-a-d English, but what the heck...).

Since M-Audio was bought by DigiDesign they have produced toys which are designed primarily for Mac's which is the platform for testing used by M-Audio. A PC user can find marginal success with M-Audio equipment - as they are only tested 'to work' on a PC now. M-Audio offers good products - IF you know how to make it work with your platform.

Frank F
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Bad hiss with M-Audio MobilePre Reply with quote

asnively wrote:
My brand new M-Audio MobilePre has a nasty hiss. Not just when I'm recording, when I listen to any audio file or CD. It even hisses into my cans when the mic is unplugged!

Amy,

I had a very similar problem when I first got my MobilePre USB 2 years ago. The tech engineer at my office took it to his bench, soldered closed a ground wire that was loose and the hiss vanished.

Please note: this is NOT something I recommend you attempt yourself!

On the other hand, Frank makes some very salient points, just above, about the many variables involed in getting an audio interface to work with a given computer. It's not a project for the faint of heart.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
TC
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
M-Audio configured the MobilePre originally for a Mac laptop... so if you have one of those - it might be a good thing.

While your assessment of the relative compatibility of M-Audio products with Macs and PCs makes a lot of sense to me, I will point out, for what it's worth, that I was using my MobilePre with Macs (tried both a PowerBook G4 and an iMac G5), and the MobilePre was hissy and useless.

Certainly could have been an isolated case. I'll never know, though, because my solution was to replace the MobilePre with something else.

Tony
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Aug 05, 2006 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, I said "it MIGHT be a good thing"?????...

The grounding issue is probably the "most" likely culprit... but it could be chips, it could be cables, it could be PC, it could be MAC's, it could be...

(Knowing me I would be the one to take it apart and void the warranty, make it work - - and then sell the dad-blamed thing... Working right, of course... Then I would buy something I KNOW works - but if you can't do that - send it back and say "FIX" or give me my money back - plus 25% for my trouble... LOL)

Toodles,

Frank F
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: