VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Article: "Celebs Drown Out Vetran Voices . . . "
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
James Lorenz
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Tue Jun 24, 2008 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I liked DeNiro and Scorcese in Shark Tale. That was a movie, I think, that was made better by some of the stars in it.
James Lorenz
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I posted a similar article on my blog last week and then after this discussion decided to put up a poll on a different message board I frequent. It's not related to voiceovers at all and generates a lot of discussion about movies. Some interesting results. 71 replies so far.

Poll: When a new animated film (Pixar, Disney, etc.) comes out, what effect do celebrity voices in the movie play on whether you want to see the movie or not?

The Results:
If a favorite actor of mine is in it, it’s a must see. - 0 - 0%
If it’s a big celeb cast, it’s a must see - 2 - 2.82%
I like it more when I know the voices - 18 - 25.35%
The “name” voices don’t matter to me, I only like it if it looks cool - 40 - 56.34%
I don’t like knowing the voices, it’s too distracting - 11 - 15.49%

If you want to read some of the comments in the thread, check out my most recent post on my blog, linked below.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

James,

Good stuff. Thanks for these details.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
Jeffers

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My favorite line from the article:
Regarding "Kung Fu Panda"
"Despite all that marquee vocal talent, [the characters] have next to no personality," said NPR's Bob Mondello."

I have not seen the movie but I have heard it is pretty good.

All I say is at least get a Big Name Actor that can bring a life to the character, PLEASE!!!!

Jeffers
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i agree with his quote, but remembering my years listening to NPR...bob mondello has next to no personality himself.
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And some of those characters on screen are really schizophrenic. If you look at Vladimir in Fox Animation's Anastasia, the movements are all me (literally), but the voice is all Kelsey Grammar, and while we both have magnificent voices Rolls Eyes he has more training as a singer, so he got that part of the character, and I have much more latex in my face so I did that part.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
James Lorenz
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Wed Jun 25, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bobsouer wrote:
James,

Good stuff. Thanks for these details.

Thanks Bob,
I was just kinda curious what average people thought and figured some here might be interested in the results. I actually thought it would lean more to being positive towards the celebs.
Guess not.
Bob Bergen
CM

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang!!!

Bottom line is, there's plenty of work out there despite celebs doing animation. I myself have never been asked to be a lead in an animated feature. But I've been fortunate enough to have worked on dozens of features, getting the same residuals as the celebs, having a blast, and working with some of the most talented and generous folks in the biz. As it was earlier stated here, celebs in animation started with Snow White. The thing that makes it feel like they are taking over the animation world is the amount of product we have now compared to they heyday of Disney's classic films. Back then, the studios would release an animated feature every several years. Now, a new animated film is being released throughout the year by every major studio in Hollywood.

What does this mean for the non celeb animation actor? Oodles of work! In the past year I've worked on Horton Hears a Who, Surf's Up, Wall-E, Up, Toy Story 3, The Tinker Bell Movie, to name a few. Again, never playing a lead. But I have a blast playing dozens of smaller multiple characters in each film.

Most, even many celebs, get scale to work on an animated feature, There are the rare exceptions, like the 20 million dollar Shrek cast. But that isn't the norm. No one makes big bucks on the session fees. It's all about residuals.

Do the celebs make or break an animated feature? Sometimes. Pixar gets it right. They don't hire a celeb because of their stature. They hire the personality that best fits the character. Ellen did an Oscar worthy performance in Finding Nemo. Brade Pitt in Sinbad??? Not so much! But the powers that be at the studio hoped his marquee value would bring in box office. This is rarely the case. A good story, a great script, that is what makes the film work. And if the celeb is brilliant, that's icing on the cake.

Bottom line?? Be it commercials or animated features, celebs are here to stay. But there is plenty of work for the non celeb. You just need opportunity, and take the journey up the ranks FOR that opportunity. There was a time when each of us working today struggled just to get in the door. Everyone! But once you get that chance, and you prove yourself, you'll get repeat business!!!

Now-if they'd just invite us non celebs to the premiere of these animated features!!!!! That would be refreshing!!! But sadly, if your face doesn't get the poparazzi's camera's clicking, ya don't get invited to the premiere.

But hey-that's show biz!
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed on the point that stars don't always make a movie a hit. I did live action work for Fox's Titan A.E. which featured the voices of Matt Damon, Bill Pullman, Nathan Lane, Drew Barrymore and several other notables and sadly it bombed.

B
VO-BB Member #31 Enlisted June, 2005

I'm not a Zoo, but over the years I've played one on radio/TV. .
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bruce,

I enjoyed the movie quite a lot. I was sorry it bombed.
+1-724-613-2749
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
imaginator
The Thirteenth Floor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 26, 2008 1:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bruce:

while i found much of the voice casting uninspired in titan a.e., it does contain my all-time favorite line for a captured adventure character:

"hmm. an intelligent guard. didn't see that coming."
Rowell Gormon's Clogged Blog - http://voices2go.com/blog
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Celebs? I read a headline in one of the UK tabloids that an actor who had left one of the Biggie soaps had been tempted back by a "huge pay offer". I read the story, the "huge pay offer" was quantified. It was a reality check for me, Soap star or nobody Voice in Portgordon, guess who earns the most?

The trouble with being a Celeb or being famous is that you are still famous when you're skint.
LauraS

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, who was it Philip?? Tell tell tell. And how much did they get?

Mind you, I have a friend who books celebs to host functions, open supermarkets, that kind of thing, and although they may not get a spectacular wage for doing the day job that makes them famous, it's these "special appearances" that sets them apart financial-wise from the likes of the rest of us.

Laura
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was a female Eastender, beyond that I can't say as neither the name or character name meant anything to me. The so-called mega pay cheque deal was £150,000 ($300,000 ish)which didn't strike me as particularly mega.

You are right about playing the Celeb game with personal appearances. One of the tabloids followed actor Ken Morley who played Reg Holdsworth in Coronation Street on a whirlwind weekend of PA's. He had flights booked, limo drivers and hotel stay all organised with military precision. By the time he got home on the Sunday night he was £55,000 better off.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
By the time he got home on the Sunday night he was £55,000 better off.

$110,000. Nice pay day for a weekend of work. Smile
+1-724-613-2749
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: