VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tools and Talent
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Jul 15, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an interesting piece, and food for thought, but it states rather brazenly that when technology comes out it's bought and used by hacks who use it as a get-rich-quick scheme, and only once it's affordable do talented people use it.

Instead, it's because once a technology is out for a while enough talented people are trained to know how to use it. It' not a question of the price of gear coming down, it's a question of getting everyone up to speed on it.

It's nonsense to assume that gear is first used by non-artistic people. Some of the most talented people I know are the early-buyers and beta-testers of the new gear that eventually become the affordable norm. By definition it's the most creative people who push the envelop to bring forth new technologies and to apply them to real world tasks. The article seems jealous of those people and would rather glorify Johnny Six Pack who happens to be a wizard on his laptop.

When he concludes by saying there are wedding videos that rival prime time tv he's lost my respect and clearly has no eye or appreciation for what goes on in today's television. There can be some great wedding videos if the budget is right, sure...but as a general statement? Am I really going to believe that there are wedding videos that look as good as E.R.?

The chintzyness of the DJ magazine covers and website tend to disprove his "we're all artistes now" theory.
Ed Gambill
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance

I suspect that we are more on the same page than on different pages. Its just that I am not Pro Tools (not a jab), I am Pro Talent.

Some time ago my wife and I went to see a movie (the name escapes me now) I believe that Spielberg and/or Lucas were the Producers/Directors. We have always been the kind of folks who look at the credit roll, some times I see names of folks I have worked with, but it’s polite to see who is responsible for the film.

In front of us was another group of folks setting and watching the credit roll as well. Then at the point where sound credits were on screen, they stood and applauded.

To my surprise and delight, one of those folks was David Lewis Yewdall a friend of mine. David is a voting member of the Motion Picture Academy and head of the sound department at the North Carolina School of The Arts Film School. We say howdy to each other and I ask what the applause was for. He knew in advance that something special had happened with this film and he wanted to verify that it was true.

You see Lance the film sound was cut in the OLD SCHOOL analog way using magnetic film stock. David was excited about this; he teaches the craft first then the equipment. In our discussion he has all ways emphases that craft/talent came first then tool supported the effort.

So if I have the right size hammer and the right size talent it doesn’t matter the brand. As the craftsman I decide what brand is right for me.

Now as to cameras, my Bach Auricon was well maintained and with good glass will take great pictures. No it does not over or under crank that is why I had the Arriflex.
Lance Blair
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Jul 16, 2008 9:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

We are on the same page Ed. I didn't like how the article disparages early users of technology and insinuates that everybody in the biz today is somehow more pure than those that had to learn their trade on old school gear that wasn't available to the masses.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: