VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN Codec Compatibility
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 18, 2005 11:58 pm    Post subject: ISDN Codec Compatibility Reply with quote

Here's a question for you ISDN users...

I have an ISDN session in about a week and I need to book a studio.

The studio that is recording the session is using an APT Worldnet Milano Codec, but the studio that I really would prefer to work out of has a Telos Zephyr... I've tried to find the specs on the worldnet milano's connection capabilities and can't determine if it is capable of communicating with the zephyr... I know that the worldnet tokyo can, but that won't help me!

I'd like to avoid the expensive bridging fees, and the studio in town that has a worldnet tokyo is more expensive than the ones with the zephyr.

I guess the direct question is, does anyone know if an APT Worlnet Milano can communicate effectively and reliably with the zephyr?

I appologize if this seems like a dumb question, but the world of ISDN is still relatively new to me... every time I use it I get a bit more familiar and comfortable, but I certainly aint no engineer or techie! :oops:

Thanks
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As far as I know APT and Telos ISDN codecs need a bridge to communicate.

For what it's worth--when I have a session with a studio equipped with APT, they cover the bridging.

That Worldnet Tokyo is one hell of a machine.
Bruce
Boardmeister

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I concur. APT does not talk directly to standard ISDN units. If the studio has APT they should be used to using bridging because it is a much less common format. If they don't, bridging companies include EdNet.net and Digifon.com, http://digifon.com/bridgefees.html .

As you are the talent, the client should be initiating the ISDN call and paying for that and any bridging.

Bruce
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Nov 19, 2005 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys!

The client is picking up all of the costs, but I was just trying to find a couple of bucks in savings for them... the best route at this point is to go with the more expensive studio using the APT Worldnet Tokyo, and avoid the bridging fees (man they can add up in a hurry!)... in the long run it'll be less expensive than going with the cheaper studio and incurring the bridging fees.

Thanks again.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to me that the APT WorldNet Milano is their new codec that works with everything.

I just googled APT Worldnet, and went to http://www.aptx.com/pro-hard-broad-worldnettokyo.asp

"The Worldnet Tokyo ensures connection and synchronisation to all popular ISDN codecs, regardless if the unit is an APT codec such as the DSM100/Pro-Link, WorldNet Milano, DRT128 or BCF384 or whether it is a third party codec such as the Telos Zephyr or CCS CDQ Prima®."

So feel free to book the session at the Telos Zephyr studio...it'll work.

Jim
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jim, I believe this says the the TOKYO is compatable with everything. The MILANO isn't.

Brian needs a studio with a box that will play nice with the remote MILANO.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 6:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My mistake. Just got in from a weekend away and did a quick search.

In addition to my Zephyr I have an APT-X Reporter that would be compatible with the APT Worldnet Milano. I rarely use it and would be happy to send it to a new home with someone who could...

Jim
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Jim and DB... yeah unfortunately only the Tokyo equipped studio will be able to handle the session without bridging.

Has anybody used the new Source Connect Pro Tools ISDN plugin? I'm wondering if it would be bridgeable? If this is the direction that ISDN is going... it's pretty exciting! An ip based ISDN codec... I really think that there's a lot of potential... no monthly line charges and you really only have to pay for use if you are bridging! Kinda neat... I might download the free trial and see how it works!

If anybody has given it a try, I'd love to hear from you.

See ya
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Charlie was looking into the ProTools ISDN interface.
Source Elements.

Sonofabitching thing is a $1500 plug-in though.

http://www.source-elements.com/
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Nov 20, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, it's definately an expensive one shot plugin price, but if it becomes readily used in the industry it could really be a huge money saver... just the fees for having the lines into my place would be a huge cost. However, with the plugin... if I don't use it for months on end then I'm not wasting $$ on the line and simply pay for the bridging costs, which is still a pain in the butt... but potentially a huge savings! I guess it all depends on how often you use ISDN and the ROI for both the box and the lines!

In an ideal world... a Tokyo would fall off of a truck in my front yard and a friend at the telco would install the lines for free with no hope of the company every noticing the traffic!

Actually... no, let me re-do that...

In an ideal world, I'd be voicing more high value spots than DL and have a butler bringing me warm tea that I would sip on while he's cleaning the dust off of my brand new APT Worldnet Tokyo that is connected to the most trouble free ISDN lines in the world!

Now that'd be close to ideal (nobody wants to know the truly ideal world that I fantasize about... it could upset the kids!)

Charlie... if you've done any research on the Pro Tools plugin (or anybody else for that matter) I'd love to hear some of your findings.
CWToo

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
I
Sonofabitching thing is a $1500 plug-in though.

But totally worth it. One studio at Studio Center/ Norfolk was upgraded to use it for a single client. That client now uses it at least once a week.

The beauty of it is that the session goes directly into the client's Pro Tools without the signal degradation of an MP3 file or ISDN (which is nearly the same thing as an MP3). them's that use it love it.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Chris...

Do you know if you can use a bridging company to connect to another Codec?

For instance, if you have the plugin, can you connect to studio using a zephyr?

????
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just answered my own question... digifon can bridge the Source Connect Plugin to most codecs!

Cool!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

THE OPINIONS OR COMMENTS EXPRESSED IN THIS POST ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR ONLY AND DO NOT NECESSARILY REPRESENT THOSE OF THIS BULLTIEN BOARD OR OF ANYONE ELSE FOR THAT MATTER. OPPOSING OPINIONS ARE NOT VERY WELCOME.

Just so as you might not think that SC is the ONLY way to go and to correct some mis-conceptions about SC - Here is some real poop:

SC uses the SAME codec as many ISDN "black-boxes", i.e.: .mp3.

The ONLY real benefit for using SC is that it goes directly into the PT timeline. The real benefit is to PT (DigiDesign) for getting you to cough up $1500.00 PLUS buy an iLok. Typical of PT and DigiDesign, it is propietary to THEIR software and/or hardware. This is called MARKETING and making sure they have their little corner of the market secure and profitable. Where's the anti-trust lawsuit????

Personal opinion: "If SC is so great, why not make it available to ALL DAW's and make it inexpensive so ALL VO Talent and recording studios can use the toy"? What are they (DigiDesign) afraid of? Competition?

O.K., so back onto the subject...

AudioTX can do a similar thing, that is bi-directional, high(er) quality audio via IP, although admittedly NOT put the audio into ONLY PT's timeline, for about half the price.

Telos has added a new codec to their line-up - .m4a/aac (MPEG IV audio) which gives smaller file sizes and better quality than .mp3. Musicam is releasing a new codec for their boxes - again .m4a/aac. Comrex is following suit.

Two new VOIP products due out in the first quarter of 2006 will also have the ability to send audio with a scalable bi-directional .m4a/aac codec which is also recordable directly into the timeline of MOST audio recording software (PT may not be able to accept the new codec due to certain limitations of it PROPITARY handling of data - phooey).

M4a is also being pushed for a NEW POTS style codec which can be accessed by ANY phoneline and give "broadcast quality" audio over the legacy systems.

So what has SC/DigiDesign created... nothing. They have stolen OLD technology - locked it to their products and successfully pulled the wool over many folks eyes to keep their company viable with incredible marketing.

Before running out and slamming down $1500 smackers (USD) on the table, the one thing I would caution is to - THINK! How many facilities have SE right now, how many of those do you work with, and how many might get it sometime down the road... IF they can see it being profitable for them? If you cannot name more than ONE... don't buy it - yet.

Tune in same time next week boys and girls as we explore another part of the wonderful world of BS in our industry.

Sorry for the poor opinion of SC/DigiDesign folks, I just do not agree with some companies marketing tactics and ploys.

Frank F
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Nov 22, 2005 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Frank...

I feel like a total dope asking all of these questions, but when I search the internet I get a bunch of techno babble speak that I can't understand, but when I get replies from all y'all they're clear and to the point... ergo... I keep asking questions. Hope you don't mind. Tell me to knock it off I'm bothering you!

When you say broadcast quality from a POTS style codec, what do you mean. Could I equate it to a standard analog phone patch? Would the quality be the same as ISDN or would it sound like the AM News channel reporter "Live from the City Courthouse".

As far as the VOip codec that you mentioned, it sounds interesting, but isn't it really trailblazing a whole new form of the technology, and won't it then take a LONG TIME to be accepted, if ever?

I guess I'm coming to the innevitable conclusion that the good 'ol box and line solution is still the most readily accepted and user friendly solution available right now...

In reality, I'm not in a position to go with ISDN yet, but I really want to wrap my head around the technology, so that when it is a justified investment I'm informed and ready to roll.

Thanks again.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: