VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

ISDN Codec Compatibility
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

View previous topic :: View next topic  
cave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I obviously do use SC and am happy to say so. I can not say if Source-Connect will only be a Pro"Fools" (good one) option. ....How about SlowTools too? I actually think Protools with an Mbox is actually quite a good deal. Personally I do not want a pile of unintegrated software to do my job. One good application is much better if you ask me.

Do you use any IP based connectivity or just ISDN? What is your trouble with SC beyond being a PT plug-in? For me (a ProTools operator and a Mac user) it is the best option with out going the entire ISDN route.

I Think your numbers about ProTools are way way way off. You find a professional studio (besides yours) that needs to acess the out side world that isn't running ProTools. In fact you must have PT if you used SC. ProTools IS the Standard in DAWs. Nuendo while a good systyem has a long way to go. Any CPU based mixing system does not have the horse power to run or be an entire studio. You can play around with it, but building a very complex mix in the box with significant I/O that compares to a system like a Euphonics is not possible with any of the other Toys that Sony or Steinberg have to offer. Just to clarify when I am talking about ProTools systems, a TDM system is the spcific need for a person serious about what they are doing. While VO talent does not need a TDM system the integration between Digi's TDM line and LE line is a great great thing. Seriously, Protools (and AVID) has so much of the market that there are entire carriers made by operating that single system. You can be bitter and hang on to every small application that you decide you love. I will give it to you that ProTools has its faults as any other system does. But for a complete integrated system with hardware based DSP etc, Protools is the only game in town. I might consider Pyramix as another option. Old houses running their old Audio Files, and Dyaxis all have a Protools system in house some where. If not, they either work in a vacume or have no vision.

There will be a day where Digi is dethroned but for now, PT is where it is at. I will give it to you Digi is the Microsoft of audio. And if you want you can hate them........ while they laugh to the bank. (I happily gave them my $$s as it makes my life easier)

I guess the point of this forum is not to discuss the ups and downs of different DAW systems (at least not this thread). To that end it is a simple difference of opinion, though you do seem a bit bitter about Digi's dominance in the market. So the original question about connectivity: My answer is that Source-Connect works very well for me and I don't see its faults as clearly as you do. I don't blame it for being on PT (in fact it is a selling point for me) and I think for IP based connectivity it is a great option. What is your VOIP product? Maybe I wish it was out before I purchased SC.

cave
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would enjoy giving you the opportunity to work with my VOIP based project, at present it is in Beta, and will stay that way for a bit longer as we work out some SIP and IAX "bugs".

SC is an option, it does work, I do not deny that. I am not bitter about PT's dominance in the audio world, I am glad they exist. I have and continue to use PT for certain projects. To say SC is a viable option at present is incorrect... it is "workable".

Do I use any other IP based communication product? Yes, VOIP, Telos, Comrex and Musicam. Is there another IP-based high end audio product available, yes - Telos, Comrex, APT, Musicam. Tieline, etc. Do they offer MP4 codecs - yes. Do they work with other products and software, yes. Are they tied to PT/DD - NO! Are they tied to ONE company's products - No.

I may be a snob when it comes to audio editing products, because I spend my time looking for the BEST of both worlds, price and productivity. Is PT ALL there is in the world - NO. When it comes to workability with PT vs. other products and the precentages - look no further that the people in the world who are making the music and follow the money tracks. DD/PT IS #1 - due to the fact thay offer a viable product and it has been touted in many areas...

Mix Magazine, Electronic Musician, EQ, Recording, Tape Op and others report the same thing... about 40% of DAW's are PT/DigiDesign. The other 60% is made up of more than 200 different software and hardware solutions.

With more than 100 users in less than a year of offering - SC is not a viable product for my facilities. Will it (SC) be viable as an audio communication solution in the future - maybe. But that scenario is not likely at the rate of growth SE/SC is showing. Is SC an "option" - maybe - but only if SC can inter-connect with other IP based solutions and easily bridge with ISDN - and maybe, if SC offers a Plug-In for other software/hardware solutions soon.

Frank F
cave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

specifically what is the difference between workable and viable in your book?

so you use Telos, Comrex and Musicam
to record over the internet and not over switched ISDN lines?
How does each work? Pros? cons?

I would say the main reason SC is not viable for your facility is that your facility is not (or does not appear to be) a big PT (PF) facility. It doesn’t fit well in YOUR facility’s work flow.

What about APT before it was able to connect with other boxes like a telos. At that point in its growth was it only workable and not viable?

I agree it would be great if SC could connect with other platforms. But for users of Protools I would contend that it is a welcome plug-in to the platform which solves some of my needs at least and I like the direction it is going.

So what is VOIP (at least your VOIP product as voip is an area of the telco industry on to itself at this point)? what is the workflow behind it? is it really like a phone? what codec? can it connect to any other voip system? what makes it better than other options. what inspired you to make it? who are these 5000 beta users?

curious
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll make this short and simple as I do not wish to belabor this point anymore...

Workable means: usable, but not ready for "prime time". Not enough users or connection points.

Viable... numerous connections points, numerous users, usable by more than than just one small group.

Yes, and No, I use ISDN and IP, and have in my facilities more codecs than I really would like. Details lengthy, not enough space to discuss here.

True enough. Plus, I just do not think it (SC) a viable product at present.

APT DID work with many codec's right out of the box as it was capable of G.722. APT also was independent of any specific software/recording solution... plug it into your ISDN line and mixer and your "off to the races".

SC is a "workable" solution, not a "viable" solution. It (SC) has a small and limited group of users who would be using it on a day-to-day basis based upon your criteria of a "professional" studio - which also leaves VO Talent as being "not-professional".

First point, 1263 users in nine days, at which point I had to cease the offer for Beta testers. I have a limited capacity on my switch at present. I will be upgrading within the next 30 days and will be at a capacity which is in line with the numbers I "hope"/dream of getting. Please Note: This product is in BETA, and will not be released UNTIL it is ready.
Quote:
So what is VOIP (at least your VOIP product as voip is an area of the telco industry on to itself at this point)? what is the workflow behind it? is it really like a phone? what codec? can it connect to any other voip system? what makes it better than other options. what inspired you to make it? who are these 5000 beta users?

I was inspired to have a product which was easily available to the masses at a price point which would make ANY VO Talent or pro-studio happy. I also like the potential for profitablility which is built on the back-end. Yes, it can be a "normal" phone with balanced connections to a mixer or it can be a software only based product and will work on both Mac's and PC's. Yes, it can connect to POTS lines OR direct Computer to Computer links for .m4a and soon - .mp4 (video) capability. What makes it better than other options?... Lower cost, ease of connectivity on both ends, no "special plug-ins" or keys required, able to connect to ANY POTS line and receive calls from ANY POTS line, no bridging necessary, it will connect to other VOIP products - if they so choose - as this is up to the discresion of the ISTP (service provider), a simple FREE "client" plug-in will be available, and much more.

Codecs are the standard VOIP protocols PLUS .mp3 (scalable) and .m4a (scalable).

Frank F
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the winner is...?
There are no winners in a discussion of comparable beliefs and opinions. It is when discussions turn into debates that we find the temptation to convert anothers' opinion to ours. The magnitude of information I have seen expounded on the subject of ISDN Codec Compatibility leaves me with no other choice but to add it to my list. That list would be those things that one should avoid in discussions... lest they turn into debates:

Religion
Politics
ISDN Codec Compatibility

:wink:
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
cave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would add platfom choice to that list:
mac, pc operating systems. as well as protools, every other asio driven aHobo Tounge and their add on plug-ins / software.

including vapor ware.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: