VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Phone patch survey

View previous topic :: View next topic  
marko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 2:03 pm    Post subject: Phone patch survey Reply with quote

Hi, great forum you all have here! I wanted to find out what some of you use for a phone patch. I simply would like the ability to have a client offer direction to me via my headphones, and I can respond to them via my microphone. I am using a digi 002 PT LE w/an avalon 737 pre and eq. Do you think I would need a small mixer along with a phone patch of some sort? Also, I sure would like the ability to have my Avalon on both of my microphones, but it has only one input. I'm wondering if a mixer would help out with this as well. I just don't like the idea of putting additional items in the audio chain as it were, but I'm probably being a little too paranoid.

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using a Symetrix TI-101 as a phone patch.

I like it because I've got it parallel to the audio chain.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I simply use a cordless phone that has a speaker. I bring it in the booth with me. Works fine. No complaints, so far.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
marko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie, I'm currently doing the same thing and it's beyond time for something a bit more professional. I can't tell you how many false starts I've had due to clients chiming in at an inappropriate time, and on several ocassions I've had to deal with some cordless phone interference.

Deidre, I've heard really good things about that phone patch but they appear to be kind of hard to find.

Thank you both for the input!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

marko wrote:
I've heard really good things about that phone patch but they appear to be kind of hard to find.

Ebay is your friend!

Some folks here use an earpiece phone with the headset over that.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Marko,

Welcome aboard the board! (That sounded very corny!) :roll:

I'm another Symetrix TI101 user and have absolutely no complaints! Super easy to use and very durable! Like DB said, hit e-bay but be patient... they don't come around very often, but when they do you'll want to get in there and bid!

Before I used the phone patch, I simply used my cordless telephone with my mini-jack cell phone ear bud handsfree set (wow, that's one heck of a descriptor!), and then put my cans over top of the ear-bud. It worked, but I wasn't a huge fan... I found it too restrictive because the hands free cable wasn't long enough for me to move around as freely as I like.

Anyway, you will need a mixer to use a phone patch, unless you can find another way to have both the signal from the digi 002 and the phone patch on playback in your headphones. You certainly don't have to go crazy though... I simply use a cheap little Behringer UB502, it's not in the signal chain so I don't really care about the audio quality!

Regarding using 2 mics with your pre-amp... I don't see how it could work since the pre-amp would come before the mixer in the signal chain... although I guess you could plug both mics into the mixer, and then run the mixer through the pre-amp and then into the digi, but that seems a bit unconventional to me and I'm not sure that it would be recommended. I could be completely wrong, but I'm sure one of the more gear savvy board members will be able to provide you with a bit more guidance than myself, on that one!
marko

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian,

Thanks so much for the input! You make a lot of valid points that I had not considered before.

I will check out ebay as Deidre had recommended, and also look for an inexpensive mixer.

Glad to be a part of this great voice-over community!
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Nov 25, 2005 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marko,

I actually just checked the previous gear postings, becasue I posed the same question the to board a while back... after re-reading the posts quickly I may have been wrong about the need for a mixer if you're using a digi 002

Anyway, check out these previous threads...

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=251

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=385

Happy trawling!
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 7:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Marko,

The TelosONE is another viable solution and comes in a rack mount or standalone setup.

Also, if you have any contacts at radio stations they usually have equipment they are replacing this time of year, you may be able to buy the old or get in on the new (discounted). Whatever the case, it's worth a shot.

Kevin
marko

PostPosted: Sat Nov 26, 2005 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much, guys and gals!!

I'll let you know how things progress.
schaer
Contributore Level V

Location: Las Vegas, New Mexico (yes, there is such a place...)

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just did a v/o with DB (thanks DB...) and used my cell with the jabra ear piece under the headphones. Worked great. But I also just bought a JK Audio "Broadcast Host". I think it will be an improvement. Plus I can use it during my radio show.

Best,
Bernard
SaVoa.org No. 09023
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Thu Dec 01, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For the past 8 years or so I've used the Microtel Gentner. I don't believe they make it any more, but you might be able to find one on Ebay. When I bought it I paid $250 and I thought it was incredibly overpriced. But I use it all the time for analog phone patch so I guess it was worth the money.

It's just a box with room for two 9v batteries, and all sorts of ins and outs to meet your needs. It does not require a mixer unless you're intending to record the client on the other end.

Jim
marko

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
Marko,

I actually just checked the previous gear postings, becasue I posed the same question the to board a while back... after re-reading the posts quickly I may have been wrong about the need for a mixer if you're using a digi 002

Anyway, check out these previous threads...

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=251

http://www.vo-bb.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=385

Happy trawling!

Hey Brian,

I can't thank you enough for the advice. I have since bought a phone patch from BSW made by
JK audio that works GREAT!

I appreciate your help. Laugh
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to hear it! That's what we're all here for... well, some of us kinda enjoy harrasing Phil, but that's more of a pass-time! :wink:

If you want to give it a test run, just let me know... I'd be happy to connect with you for a bit.

Good luck with it.

Cheers,
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: