VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RIP - Don LaFontaine
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
craigcrumpton
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I actually got an audition notice today for a Don LaFontaine soundalike. I guess it was inevitable that it would happen eventually, but I never expected it so soon.

My younger brother does a fantastic impression of the late great Don, and he just got a Don soundalike gig doing movie trailer narration for an indie film.

If that doesn't tell you how much the industry misses him already... hell, they didn't even skip a beat.

I guess it will only be a matter of time before a stage performer does a one-man tribute show too.
Yoda117
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a great story that Frank has.

I think that's what saddens me most. I won't claim to know the man, but I've met him once or twice. Don had this ability to light up the room, which I've only experienced from a few folks in my life. More importantly, you couldn't help but to feel a little better about things and about yourself just by being in his presence. Maybe it's my own naivete as I step out into a more open world, but to me what was most impressive about Don wasn't his voice, or his work (both of which are obviously legendary), but his spirit of generosity.

I can't help but to tear up when I see the tributes, because it's a loss to us all (and yeah, I'm an overly-emotional person... it's an ADD thing), but to me, so long as we remember what Don taught us through his words and actions, he'll never truly be gone.

At least not to me. Lips Are Sealed

Blog - A man, a martini, and a lot of microphones
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

craigcrumpton wrote:
I actually got an audition notice today for a Don LaFontaine soundalike. I guess it was inevitable that it would happen eventually, but I never expected it so soon.

My younger brother does a fantastic impression of the late great Don, and he just got a Don soundalike gig doing movie trailer narration for an indie film.

If that doesn't tell you how much the industry misses him already... hell, they didn't even skip a beat.

I guess it will only be a matter of time before a stage performer does a one-man tribute show too.

I have to say that had the offer been made to me I would have politely declined and would extend the same professional courtesy to any recently deceased fellow Voice Over.

It's probably just a British thing or at the very least a PB thing.
Claire Dodin
Club 300

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bob for this video, it was great to see his hair!
I can't quite get over the sadness even though I never met him. I'm still very emotional. I think it's the love he managed to spread, everyone has a nice thing to say about him.
voicy1stef
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just read an article (maybe in someone's blog) where they quoted Don giving a voiceover tip as saying: "..love the words."

I think that advice will ring in my mind and heart forever.

British-American voice artist based in England for the past umpteen years. I say, has it really been that long!

http://www.stefsvoice4u.co.uk
Podcast: Positive Affirmations and Audio Stories, on iTunes, Spotify etc.
bobsouer
Frequent Flyer

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Stefania,

When he spoke to us at VOICE 2007, he said "find the music in the words." I think that's a great way to put it, too.
+1-724-613-2749
ISDN, Source Connect, phone patch
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
craigcrumpton
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philip Banks wrote:
craigcrumpton wrote:

I have to say that had the offer been made to me I would have politely declined and would extend the same professional courtesy to any recently deceased fellow Voice Over.

It's probably just a British thing or at the very least a PB thing.
My brother got the soundalike gig last week.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

My comment leading on from your post was not a indictment of anyone, you made me think about how I would react were I to receive a call today.
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 5:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wouldn't think the worst of the people who asked for a DLF soundalike. There were plenty of auditions with that same request before he passed away. There is a chance they didn't realize he had passed away and that that phrasing could be in poor taste.

Just sayin'....

Claire, I love how you said that...

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 6:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a PERSONAL mark of showing MY respects I would politely decline the offer of work requiring ME to sound like a recently deceased fellow professional without any suggestion whatsoever of poor taste or lack of respect on the part of the person making such a request or passing judgement by implication that any other person who chose to accept such an opportunity should be thought of in a negative manner for making such a choice.
todd ellis
A Zillion

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

does not include tax title and doc fees.

Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oxbridge version - Ut a ALIO vestigium of ostendo MEUS veneratio EGO senium dedi opus postulo MIHI ut sanus amo a nuper quondam socius professio vacuus ullus consilium quodcumque penuriosus sapor vel penuria veneratio in secui alio condita talis a prex vel obduco censura per implication ut ullus alius alio quisnam electus ut recipero talis an vicis exsisto sententia infitialis ratio pro condita talis.
Obviously a witnessed, notorised version of my attorney prepared post is available in all good hardware stores ....Ask for it by name.
ccpetersen
With a Side of Awesome

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Soo... getting back to Don...

I watched a number of his videos yesterday and the day before, and the thing that he kept saying in interviews was the bit about "love the words" and "let the copy tell you how to do it"... and then watching him do it was like having a private workshop with Don...

I continue to be amazed at the places online that have tributes to Don, and discussions about him. For a guy who was rarely in front of the camera, he taught us all a lot!
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It appears that Don set the 'Movie Trailer Guy' bar years ago. Many have attempted and have fallen short... but for those who touch that bar, 'Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery'.

ccpetersen wrote:
I continue to be amazed at the places online that have tributes to Don.

I'm not sure if this one was overlooked.
Find A Grave
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Thu Sep 04, 2008 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

He would be the first person to try to steer "Don II - The Sequel" towards career success with the words "be yourself". If nothing else, it's easier.

The greatest loss to everyone who knew Don La Fontaine? Probably the ever present mischievous twinkle in his eye.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 6 of 9

Jump to: