VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Just bought M-Audio Firewire 410 and ProTools M-Powered.....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 12:18 pm    Post subject: Just bought M-Audio Firewire 410 and ProTools M-Powered..... Reply with quote

So here we go, back into gear heaven. Is anyone running this equipment? If so, are you running the firewire through a sound card or the motherboard? DigiDesign recommends a 64 bit card, and our machine has a 32 bit slot, so we're wondering if we can use that slot with the 64 bit card.

If anything sounds weird, please excuse. I'm asking questions posed by my IT guy husband who has been venturing into the world of digital sound production by helping with my computer questions.

Happy weekend. Anybody putting up the lights yet? I'm making bourbon balls, yum!

http://www.kitziestern.com/
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't worry about the difference between a seperate board and the Motherboard... you are using firewire... the Firewire 410 IS the soundcard... it just connects to the computer via the Firewire port.

Now we just hope you have a Firewire port on the computer...??? If not, we will discuss that later.

Universal Serial Port (USB) and Firewire (IEE 1394) are I/O protocols which, in a similar fashion to the older SCSI (Scuzzy) protocols, allow users to connect devices to the computer without the requirement of internal slot space - save whatever I/O card you need - but only one card - many devices.

The Firewire 410 is a great little soundcard which will allow you four I/O's at the same time (four tracks). All this in a portable, easy to connect, lightweight device. Impeccable Pre's, easy HUI (Human User Interface) and more - all for VERY inexpensive... Good choice.

Unless your computer is specifically designed to work with 64 bit protocols, it is 32 bit. The suggestion to use 64 bit is a nice way to say "your computer is a bit older and would you like us to sell you a new one"? Don't worry, the Firewire 410 is designed to work with 32 bit architecture. ProFools is also designed to work in a single processor environment.

have fun, you made the right choice.

Frank F
kitstern
Been Here Awhile

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank,

I'm beginning to sense that you're not a fan of ProTools, correct? Meee Tooo. It's such a buggy program, I have no idea why it's "the industry standard". Similar situation to seriously disliking PCs and Microsoft although they're the standard for most business users. I would SO prefer to use a Mac, but all of our computers are PCs and that's what Bill (my husband) is familiar with, so that's what we're stuck with.

BTW, no Firewire port on the M-Audio computer.

And thanks for the help and insight.

http://www.kitziestern.com/
marko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like ProTools and haven't had many problems at all with it. Once
you learn the shortcuts it's a breeze to edit.

Then again, I'm a die hard Mac user too! We do have it on our PC
as well as a back-up.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Although I am not "fan" of ProFools" it's not due to lack of trying. I own several DAW's (Digital Audio Workstations) and we have ProFools on two, this for the convienience of working with those clients who use the product. It's cumbersome to work with, expensive, and - in my opinion - has drawbacks which inhibit my creativity.
:shock:

I am not against Mac's, I like the product - I use it for video editing quite often. MS and Big Bill have their respective problems, and if you are going to use your PC on the internet, be VERY careful...

As for PC's vs. Mac's - each has it's place in the computing world. I am ambidextrous when it comes to using them... I personally use the tool which fits my lifestyle - laid back and easy...
:lol:

Kit, you are going to need add an I/O Firewire PCI board to your PC. They run about $40.00 USD for a good one.

Look for something which is IEEE 1394b compatable, if possible, they are faster and are backwards compatable to the IEEE 1394a protocols. (1394b cards are a little more expensive however, about $80.00 USD - but in most cases 1394a will work for you - 1394b is just a faster protocol.) With Firewire you can now easily add external hard-drives and other devices without having to open up your computer.

Have your Hubby open the PC, insert and configure the card, and you will be on your way. Then plug in the Firewire 410, put the cables to where they need go and it's "Miller Time".

There are some set-up items for the 410 which will help optimize the product when it comes to performance, but once completed - you will have a fine little DAW.

"Sometimes you feel like a nut (PC) and sometimes you don't." ProFools has become the "standard" by virtue of it's being the first real DAW way back when??? Although there are now several (many) more capable and less expensive software products on the market today... PT was the FIRST. (Before I get lots of SPAM and SPOOF - there were several others available, PT just cornered the market by setting out to create a truly professional product - and they spent the bucks to promote it to the Audio Recording Studio market). It has been said "He who is first wins!" In the world of marketing, "...being first means you will always have the lions share of the market - number two will always be number two - unless you make a mistake..."

Frank F
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank, when you are not using ProTools, what do you use?
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
Quote:
Frank, when you are not using ProTools, what do you use?

What do I use? It depends upon the project.

There are tools used for sampling, there are tools for MIDI, there are tools for DAW's, etc.

I like Sony Vegas for multi-tracking, music production, video editing and post-production, and sweetening and Surround Sound (5:1, 7:1 and 9:2); and Adobe Audition for Voice Overs.

I also use Sony Acid, Reason, Cubase, and several other great programs including Nuendo, Sound Forge, etc.

Please understand that I have four audio suites in one location with complete High Definition Video Production suites also; and three more audio/video "studios" in another State. I also have my "home" studio (which is where I spend most of my time lately).

The picture posted on an earlier thread is of my "home" studio.

Frank F
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 7:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new version of ProTools (7.0), supports multiple CPUs. I do not own it, however, that's what they told me when I called them. Many of the new plugin updates from Waves were done to take advantage of that fact.

I'm a Fool!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 03, 2005 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, it's true.. PT 7 does support dual CPU's. Sony Vegas has done this since version 4, just an interesting side note...

The Waves bundles also work with Direct X (PC)... I don't use them all, but I do use some...great product, the Waves bundles...

Frank F
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

kgenus wrote:
I'm a Fool!

Count me among the Fools.

I'm glad to say my needs are so simple that my Powerbook and Mbox are enough.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Frank F wrote:
It has been said "He who is first wins!" In the world of marketing, "...being first means you will always have the lions share of the market - number two will always be number two - unless you make a mistake..."

Or, unless there are technical barriers to competition!

AudioTX is ASIO-2 compliant and interfaces with any sound card that's ASIO-2 compliant. But, wait! Digidesign's LE sound cards are supposed to be ASIO-2 complaint. After many hours of attempting to sort the problem out, particularly because AduioTX enables IP to IP connectivity with AudioTX, I was informed by Digidesign that AudioTX had not been "qualified." Ahem. I found it interesting that a "standard" really isn't a standard, sometimes. A couple of months later Source-Connect was introduced. It does work with Digidesign hardware.

The M-Audio 410 looks great for VO work. The price is right, too. It may mate to AudioTX better than the MBox or 002-Rack does.

C
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Charlie...

I actually have an e-mail into Audio TX right now (I've long since given up on contacting digi support - "The DUC has a wealth of information" don't ya know!) to see if there is a way to make Audio TX work with the mbox, but if I understand your post correctly... you couldn't make it work? Being a bit green with all of the intracicies of PT, I can't figure how to route audio into and out of PT to or from a 3rd party software application. I know that rewire is supposed to accomplish this, but I've been searching high and low for how to initialize it in 7.0 and I can't for the life of me figure it out. Heck, I can't even find rewire in PT 7.0, and the tech support docs on the digi site haven't been any help either.

I'm trying to accomplish 2 totally different things... 1st, I want to capture audio from adobe audition in real-time into PT, 2nd I want to give audio TX a test run...

Any suggestions? Anybody?

Thanks
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:

Any suggestions? Anybody?

The Mbox is just a piece of hardware, a sound card. The interface between the hardware and the application software, Pro Tools, is a function of what the software people call "integration." To get the hardware to work with "third party" software applications, there are software driver protocols that the industry has agreed to follow. ASIO-2 is the standard most hardware utilizes. So, you can use Logic, or other software applications, with different manufacturer's hardware. As an example, you can use Cool Edit with an Audigy sound card. You can use Logic with an Audigy sound card, etc.

Repeat: Digidesign claims it's products are ASIO-2 complaint. And, it is -- with a catch. Something has been added or changed or modified that prevents other third party applications from playing with its hardware. But, the Digidesign hardware does work for playback. So, you can actually set up your computer to use the Mbox as a playback device as a sound card. ASIO-2 is the standard. But, as a recording device, it's a no-go with some software applicatons, like AudioTX Communicator. Why? "Not qualified!" they say. Who disqualified it? How does it get qualified? Payment of fees, I'd guess and establishment of some sort of business relationship.

So, AudioTX recommends purchasing a sound card and running analog output into it and the analog output from the sound card into the MBox. AUDIOTX DOES NOT RECOMMEND ATTEMPTING DIGITAL-TO-DIGITAL CONNECTIVITY. I tried it and got a lot of noise.

If you use a Marc 2 or almost any other sound card, AudioTX will recognize it through ASIO-2. You plug the sound card into a PCI slot, or a USB port (works good, I understand) or Firewire port, and AudioTX will see that sound card and you can use it.

EDITORIAL: Technically (I think!), that ought to be possible with the Mbox. And, you should simply be able to work in Pro Tools, make a track for recording and away you go. Pro Tools will work with the Mbox and the Mbox COULD work with AudioTX and AudioTX will work with the ISDN card. But, you can't. AudioTX will not be able to "see" the Mbox.

If I understand your dilemma, the Adobe product is an application program used for recordng and playback. Well, it actually might work with the Mbox, because there are some major aHobo Tounge's that do. That's something I tested out with Mo to establish that the Mbox and the 002-R is ASIO complaint, to a degree. But, on the other end, AudioTX will not work with the Mbox or 002-R right now. I don't think the rev level of Pro Tools has anything to do with it.

Digidesign owns M-Audio now. They "acquired" it. Whether or not the M-Audio hardware will be recognized by AudioTX is a question to be explored. My bet is that if you used an Audigy sound card, or something else (see the list on AudioTX's site), you'd have that part covered. Then, you's just have to figure out how to get analog out of the Mbox into the soundcard on the system where AudioTX is running. FYI, I run everything in one box (AudioTX, Marc2 sound card and the Digidsign 002-Rack).

The Mbox has one stereo pair for input (L/R) and one pair for output (L/R). If you had a second sound card that AudioTX recognized, you might try a connection like:

mic -> mixer -> Mbox. A line output from the mixer would be cabled to the second sound card.

The next problem you'd encounter is getting the output from the second sound card to the Mbox without feedback issues. THINK THIS PART THROUGH (I'm trying but ... you know ... Sunday ... tequila ... diminished capacity). But, since you record "mono," you only need one channel for that. So, you could use one channel ("L") for recording the send to the second sound card and the other channel ("R") for the receive from the sound card to the Mbox.

I believe Kevin made a recommendation, in some post, about a "Y" splitter cable connector or adapter. A couple of them should work with TSR cables. The output from the second sound card would be cabled from the "Y" adapter to a mono line going to the second ("R") channel.

Then, you'd set up a configuration in Pro Tools to use with this setup.

I hope this helps.

CC
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FYI: Rewire is used with Reason, an application. It might be used with other aHobo Tounge's, too. AudioTX doesn't work use Rewire to connect to Pro Tools, which is software. It's a virtual wire. I wouldn't go down that path.

AudioTX uses ASIO-2 to connect to hardware.

CC
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Dec 04, 2005 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Charlie Channel wrote:
I believe Kevin made a recommendation, in some post, about a "Y" splitter cable connector or adapter.

Not specifically a Y-splitter but an "Insert" cable for using the extra I/O on the MBox.

Kevin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: