VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Mic Suggestions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryansbeal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:11 pm    Post subject: New Mic Suggestions Reply with quote

Ok. I'm interested in trying some new Mics. I currently have a M-Audio Nova and it does pretty good, but would like to see what others are using. Once I have a list I'll go test some at the local Kraft Music Store.

Thanks
Ryan

http://www.ryansbeal.com/demo/gongfullrev3.mp3
http://ryansbeal.com/AUDITION05FULL.mp3

:lol:
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Mic Roll Call!

Daily: ElevtroVoice RE20 Broadcast mic
Specials: Røde NTK
cave

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello

There are some old standard mics that you may want to consider.
It really depends on your budget though.

Neuman U87, AKG 414, Senheiser 416 (shot gun) are all great mics but expensive. The 414 is very bright and the U87 has a big sound. The 416 will help cut through anything and is often used for anouncers. It is a bit strange to use a shot gun but it helps for a big proximity effect.

Audiotechnica's 4050 is a good option you can find for less that $500 used. I have also heard good things about the new Rode tube mic. I think it is the NTK and it is very affordable.

What are you looking for or is there an issue you are trying to fix? What do you not like in your current mic?

cave
ryansbeal

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
What are you looking for or is there an issue you are trying to fix? What do you not like in your current mic?

Just taking a roll call, before I go to the store. What to make sure I test the list members fav's. I just don't have the volume I would like. I plan to take my mic in the the store's sound room and record on it as well as others. taht will set the benchmark for sound. It will help tell me if it is the Mic, interface, mixer etc.

Thanks
Ryan
marko

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bang for the buck, you cannot beat the Neumann TLM103 or BCM104. I use the 103 more than anything else.

Also, the Audio Technica 4033SE is a VERY good mic of mine that I use frequently.

It all depends on the characteristics of your particular voice. Definitely do some auditioning at a Guitar Center or wherever they sell microphones in your area.

Good luck!
Doc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ryan,

If you're on a budget (or, not), I suggest the Marshall MXL V69 Mogami Edition. Its a tube-type mic, comes with shock mount, windscreen, Mogami cable, and power supply, ALL contained in a hard shell aluminum case.

About $300 - and it's ALL I use.

Happy hunting!
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 4:22 pm    Post subject: mic Reply with quote

Another budget minded mic is the AKG c3000b. It's all I use cause it's all I have! cool It can be had for about $300.
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bernard is selling an NTK... Check out his post in this section...

I just upgraded from a Rode NTK to a Neumann TLM103, and while I loved the Rode, the Neumann is just better suited to my voice! However, I'd definately suggest either of them... for a lower budget mic, you may want to look at the Rode NT1000.... it's not as crisp and rich as the others, but I don't mind it.

Happy hunting Laugh
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is like asking people what kind of haircut they prefer. Or jeans.

I recently upgraded from a Rode NT1A to an AT4060 tube condenser. I'm still getting used to it. I thought the darn thing was broken until Kevin helped me figure out that you can't gate the thing.

The AKG 451 is an interesting little mic to consider, good for rooms that are on the lively side.

Good luck.
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am the world's cheapest human. I even have a car made out of particle board. (I'm here 'til midnight...try the seafood.)

My pride and joy is my RCA 77 that was reworked by ENAK. Kevin was telling me that ribbons are making somewhat of a comeback in studios. I love looking for different sounding mics that aren't expensive. I've found two that I don't own and haven't used. Maybe someone here has? The Nady RSM-2 is a ribbon mic. It looks lots like a the ShinyBox 23.

For something completely different, there's the KEL HM1. This guy doesn't want a mic that sounds like a Neumann and promotes that.

And the good ole MXL 990 has gotten great reviews from some folks here.

I swore I wouldn't post this here to a few folks who privately messaged me...but here it goes. If you're on an extreme budget and need a good sound, the deal I've found is the Behringer MX8500 for $20 from Musicians Friend. To my ears it sounds every bit as good as the SM58. In fact, with a foam pop filter it sounds very much like the RE20 with bass rolloff. I keep this mic in my voiceover portable bag. Being a cardioid it doesn't pick up room noise like a condenser.
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 4:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since I am a Neumann U87 Gold fan I can only say there are few mics which meet my ears with what I like. AKG 414, MXL 990, MXL V67 (I like the V67G - great looking - sound is good), MXL V69M(E), CAD E-200, RE-20, Blue Dragonfly are all nice sounding microphones. There are so many more it's so-o-o hard to choose...

Whatever opinion or mics someone owns does not necessarily mean that particlular microphone will sound good with your voice and your style. Before buying a mic, spend some time finding someone who owns one and record a few things with it to test it with your voice and your style of presentation.

Buying a mic is kind of like buying underwear, it's really personal, some look good but don't fit right, other look all-right and feel great, which are you going to buy... the ones that look great, right?

Have fun when you go microphone shopping... it may take a bit longer, but find the right fit - for YOU.

Frank F
cave

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mics are like paint brushes. consider the work you do. for announce work, a sennheiser 416 will cut through and create a very big sound. It can sound very hyped though. The EV re20 (also pl20) is very popular with radio work. It can sound big and not harsh at all. you may want to have a few mics to work with depending on the job at hand. The AKG 414 is a very flexable (lots of polar patterns) though bright mic and the Neumann U87 is a classic.

the mic pre can also make a difference. for example, the John Hardy is a very fast and bright pre. It is very clear and transient. It will pick up lots of mouth noise though. Other pres can even ad a bit of desired distortion or warmth to the signal.

do consider your client. some clients want a finished file they can drop into place and run with. This is common in the promo market. other want a very untouched signal that is as natural as possible. They would rather add compression and eq hype on their own.

finally when considering your mic, consider your booth. If it has too much effect on the sound of your recordings, a shot gun (416) or a hyper card mic will help reduce the sound of your booth if it is not optimal.
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 5:09 pm    Post subject: I have a MXL V69ME I love Reply with quote

I use the MXL V69 a lot and like the sound for the price ($299). Not quite a U87, but it is nice. If I play around with an enhancer and some EQ I can make the V69 sound awfully close to the U87. I treid the Antares mic emulation program, but my C3000 didn't quite come close on the u87 settings compared to a real U87 I used in a studio.

I lalso have an AKG C3000 that is not bad for some things.

Greg
dscott
Contributor IV

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:29 pm    Post subject: Shure Condenser Reply with quote

I've been using a Shure KSM 32 for about five years now. I got it from American Musical Supply for about $150 less than the going $549 because the aluminum carry case was missing a foot! anyhow it's been a recording workhorse for V/O, vocals, instruments, even live sound (great on Sax). I first saw them at Villa Montalvo in Saratoga CA with Bela Fleck doing an acoustic tour. I'd like to have a Neumann some day too! cool
Cheers!
Dave
marko

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2005 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One other thing regarding mics, my favorite component is hands down my Avalon 737st. Simply awesome mic pre/eq. Laugh
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: