VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mic Shootout
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Don G.
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2005 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, just goes to show you that mic choice can be very subjective. And there are so many variables to consider, as well. Specifically, I think the large room and mic technique are large factors. Another thing to consider is that on any given day, two otherwise identical mics can sound different from one another.

For example, in the studio where I worked as an engineer for years, we went from using U-87s to TLM-103s, almost exclusively for VO work. Not a huge difference, but in this test I rated the TLM-103 several points higher than the U-87. I rated my own Studio Projects B-1 on the lower side, but I love it for my voice in my environment. And one of my biggest clients commented the other day on how good it sounds.

I was a little surprised that I rated the RE-27 and the KSM-44 the highest in this test. I was also surprised that I gave the SM57 a decent rating. I generally prefer the sound of condensors over dynamics.

I agree that I would probably rate them differently on a different day, and I may try that just for yuks.

Thanks for posting the comparison. Too bad they couldn't have found a way to test them in a smaller booth rather than a big room, considering the purpose of the test was for spoken word voice work.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Luckily we all use identical soundcards, headphone amps or main amps, headphones or speakers and monitor using flat EQ. Our ears and perception are identical too! Laugh

Very interesting exercise.
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seeing the pictures of the test location and how items were set up, I wouldn't be too trusting about the results at all.

But, that's just the way I work...
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Sun Jan 01, 2006 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a Shure KSM 44 as a result of the tests - granted, Sam Ash didn't have any of the other choices I made in stock to try - but I am very happy!
I love the roll off, I have to process the signal a lot less than I did with the Marshall V-69.

If I had the dosh, I would have bought one of each of my faves to try them out, and over time, maybe I will. I got the Shure, and the USB mic for my hubby.

I think in essence, it gave the gist, and it was a big help. So much of the other stuff is subjective and personal.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: