VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mic Died

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 5:22 pm    Post subject: Mic Died Reply with quote

So just as I am thinking of buying a new mic, my trusty Marshall Mogami V69 hears and decides to start playing up.

I actually think it's dust in the diaphragm - the new background noise it is giving me is rather like a faint sound of a gnat blowing into the mic in a spluttery and intermittent way, rather than the constant electronic noise of a faulty cable or electrical interference.

I've cleaned my cable connections, and it doesn't look like there's an easy way into the mic unit to clean the diaphragm.

Does anyone have any recommendations of good mic repair/maintenance people?

I guess it will speed up my shopping trip for a new mic, but I would like to have this one in good working order, too.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 18, 2005 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last year a friend called me and asked if he could bring his mic down as it was making a similar noise. The mic was a Neumann TLM193 and had to be sent away for repair/serice at a cost of a little over £300. It's the capsule and my guess is it would be cheaper to buy a new mic. If you're lucky it may be the valve but cost of investigation and subsequent repair may still prove unjustifiable.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 19, 2005 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Banksey - I'm pretty sure it's kaput too.
Weird, because it happened just near the end of a recording session, no shocks or upsets to the mic happened, it just started producing the blubbering. Of course, the tube is only guaranteed for one year, and I've had it 16 months. Like you say, $300 is almost what it cost, ($400 or thereabouts) so replacement is the hassle-free option.
Just came down with a super cold today too, so I'm mic-less and voice-less and unable to get out of the house to buy a new one.
Ah well, a couple of days vacation is on order! Have worked way too hard this past few weeks.
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:38 am    Post subject: Yippee! Reply with quote

I just got my Marchall V69 back from Marshall, who replaced the tube free of charge. Total cost to me $40 for shipping and insurance. I am SO happy!
Of course, in the meantime I had to buy a new mic, but it is so great to have this one back as I am very fond of it.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 9:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Result!
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's the tube, you should be able to change that out yourself. I use to change the one in my Rode NTK all the time with different tubes for different sounds. Just see what type tube is in it and make sure you get the same kind that matches up with it. You can go different brands but not different types. Got mine from http://www.audiotubes.com. The guys name is Brent Jesse and he has a 30 money back policy. Grab a tube and see if that fixes it, if not send the tube back.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: