VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

VO Coaching & Recommendations

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Weaver

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 2:02 pm    Post subject: VO Coaching & Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi all...happy new year... I have two questions:

1. Can anyone recommend a VO coach in the South Florida area? and...

2. How much does it matter that your VO coach be local? In other words, with phone conversations and the ability to email samples back and forth, is it practical and equally effective to get VO lessons remotely? Or is it really not the same experience as having someone local?

Thanks....!
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Jan 01, 2009 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I find it very valuable to be in "the same air space" as a student, but I also know that there can be a lot of success with MP3s and phone conversations.

My long-time over-the-phone students started out in a class, I must say. There's a lot that can be shown when you're live and in person. Subtleties get missed over the phone, but it's not impossible to make things work.
TQuinn
Contributor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:39 am    Post subject: VO Coaching & Recommendations Reply with quote

Hi-

I know that coaches sometimes visit South Florida to conduct workshops.

I took Susan Berkley's and Jay Ginsberg's Boot Camp in West Palm Beach last year. (I AM NOT AFFILIATED WITH EITHER OF THESE COACHES AND AM RECEIVING NOTHING FOR MY COMMENTS). The cost is pretty steep (probably steeper this year), and the sessions last only 3 days, so if you're looking for long-term coaching, this Boot Camp may not be for you.

Good luck and PM me if you have questions.
CarynClark
MMD

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason,

I've not found any "coaches" in South FL (I'm in SW Florida). But, for me, it didn't matter... I don't find it necessary to be where my coach is. Randy Thomas lives here in SW Florida and has been my "mentor" - and she will coach me from time to time if I'm working on something special, but she doesn't coach.

My first coach was in NYC, and my current coach is in LA. Phoners work fine for me... the coaches I've worked with are not concerned about the quality of the sound so much as how you're delivering the copy and your acting skills.

I do, however, attend at least two vo seminars/workshops per year. Randy does at least one a year. And, I will travel for others. It's nice to get out of dodge once in a while.

Hope this helps!!! Welcome Florida friend!! Caryn

"A positive mental attitude and having faith in your ability is quite different from being irresponsible and downright stupid." - Dave
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2009 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most VO coaches now offer telephone coaching though I've never done it myself, I understand it can be pretty effective. People out on the West coast like James Alburger and Edge Studios in New York offer telecourses. Pat Fraley has a fabulous collection of home study materials on DVD that I highly recommend and here is a list of coaches all over on Harlan Hogan's site that you might want to explore.

http://www.harlanhogan.com/coachList.php

Hope that helps.

EDIT: Just came across Pat Fraley's free lessons page. You'll definitely want to listen to these - http://www.patfraley.com/Free/FreeLessons.html
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: