VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Another signal chain question
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 8:05 am    Post subject: Another signal chain question Reply with quote

Ok, I am beginning to realize that the Samson USB just won't cut it for higher quality stuff I need to do. Just bought and have been reading Harlans book on home recording.

My question...is it necessary to go from a mixer to an audio interface to the computer?? Here is my proposed chain:

Mic-mixer-computer (recording in adobe audition on windows xp, integrated sound card)

do I need an Audio interface, if so can anyone recommend an inexpensive one.

Can I get some opinions on MXL mics as well as the Behringer Eurorack UB802 s well?

Thanks guys
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, re the Behringer UB802 - that's what I started out with, then I switched to using a Symetrix 528e. But I'm back to the Behringer! I know Brian Forrester didn't like his, but I think it's quite an amazing bang for the few bucks it cost me. It depends on your microphone though. It didn't sound that great with my Rode NT-1A, but it's doing well with the AT4060 and it did well with the Gefell MT70S that I was trying out the last couple of weeks. I'll be trying out some new mics in the next few weeks; I'll let you know how that goes.
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can recommend the UB802 mixer from Behringer. It's tough little mixer that does a wonderful job and has very quiet preamps. I use it everyday with no trouble. I also have a UB502 mixer. Despite what others may say about Behringer equipment, I will recommend it. Many will slam it as cheap stuff that doesn't last. I've had mine for 2 years without any problems.

As far as the interface, using a built-in sound card isn't the best way to go. I use the Echo Audio Mia/Midi PCI card. Very nice price ($129.00-Musician's Friend) and excellent quality.

Here's my audio chain: mic > preamp/processor > mixer > computer. Cables are XLR from mic to preamp/processor to mixer (UB802). From mixer to Echo Mia soundcard, I use balanced TRS patch cables. Out of the soundcard with TRS cables to the UB502 mixer then out to the monitors. Pretty basic setup, but it works for me and sounds great.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

allensco wrote:
Here's my audio chain: mic > preamp/processor > mixer > computer. Cables are XLR from mic to preamp/processor to mixer (UB802). From mixer to Echo Mia soundcard, I use balanced TRS patch cables. Out of the soundcard with TRS cables to the UB502 mixer then out to the monitors. Pretty basic setup, but it works for me and sounds great.

I know I'm starting to sound like the proverbial broken record, but I don't understand why a mixer is necessary to record voiceover into a computer. In this example you have a mic going into a preamp, then into a mixer, then into a computer soundcard. Why not control the gain with the output of the preamp/processor, and go directly into the soundcard, skipping the mixer altogether? The Behringer may be quiet, but it's not as quiet as if it wasn't there. Plus you're adding another preamp to the mix. My feeling is the simpler the better.

I'm fully aware that I may be missing something here. So if I am, please fill me in and I'll stop babbling!

Thanks, Jim
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bud, it should only be mic > preamp > audio interface. What you choose to use for the preamp, a mixer or some other type of channel strip, is your choice. As you add items to the signal path slight artifacts will be added to the signal, so the mixer may not be as clean as a channel strip, at the same time it is not going to add enough artifacts to worry over.

I believe the choice in a high quality preamp will get you more bang for your buck than a high quality mic. You'll find an sm57 sounds amazing through a great preamp but a U87's subtleties may be lost with a low quality preamp.

Quality is determined by your ears, not your wallet. For some people the Mackie VLZ works great, for others it's Avalon 737SP, both may not be satisfactory for radio stations that look for a specific sound you can achieve from a dBx or Symetrix unit, your client may have an altogether different opinion ... and the final say.

As you work with more pieces you'll pick up on what works for your voice, in your space ... at a specific time of day, after drinking Earl Grey Tea, etc...
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have I mentioned my lack of technological aptitude? I am starting to get a little confused...but let's try to clear this up for the challenged ones here (namely ME).

Ideally I'd like to go with an MBox...so the chain would be mic to mbox to computer....right?

What I'm going to go with is mic-UB802(serves as mixer AND preamp)right?-to audio interface(which one I know not) to computer.

At this point how much quality is sacrificed by skipping the audio interface?

And thanks for all the help guys!!
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. A mixer is not necessary. Heck, with the right audio interface a preamp is built in. For example, the Presonus Firebox I just bought has 2 preamps built in. That and a decent mic can be a good combination. It's very clean sounding. So then it's mic - audio interface/computer. Nice clean path.

I prefer to add a little something going in most of the time so I use a rack mounted preamp into a line input on the Firebox. So now it's mic - preamp - audio interface (no mic pre used)/computer.

I know we've talked about this before, and I just don't like using multiple pres. So if I add my mixer in I use one of the line inputs.

The mixer is totally not necessary for recording a voice.

You can't skip the audio interface..it's the "sound card" that moves the signal into your computer.
Jim Barton

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBeen wrote:
Ideally I'd like to go with an MBox...so the chain would be mic to mbox to computer....right?

What I'm going to go with is mic-UB802(serves as mixer AND preamp)right?-to audio interface(which one I know not) to computer.

At this point how much quality is sacrificed by skipping the audio interface?

The "audio interface" is not optional. You must have it to get audio into your computer. (I assume you aren't planning on using the mini plug that came with your computer.)

If you don't already have the UB802, I'd go with the Digidesign Mbox (it's an "Audio Interface".) It's only $450, it has decent preamps built in, and comes with ProTools LE which is a terrific sound recording program (I use it every day.)

That said, you must be very careful what computer you use with a Digidesign product. They are picky, but very clear about computer specs...read them.

Jim
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok...my budget is strapped and I want to build and upgrade as time moves on and as business grows. To get started what do you guys think of this:

M-Audio MobilePre USB Portable Audio Interface

looks like it works as pre-amp and audio interface...so then my chain would be mic-maudio interface-computer

Eventually I do want to get an MBox but by the time I have the money saved up it'll be the "Mbox10 sonic audio recording system for the space station"
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read, it's not bad. I know a guy that's helping a friend get one running and is having some issues. But I'm sure that has to do with his computer. As Jim said, they are clear on their computer specs. Make sure you meet or exceed them. There are several other USB and Firewire devices out there. I suggest doing some homework, other than just talking to the guy at Guitar C*nter or where ever. Pick out a few models and google them for reviews. Look at sweetwater or zzounds for models, then research em.

You can also check other boards to see what they have to say about them. For gear, I like to search the forums at www.recording.org and www.homerecording.com. The guys on there deal with recording music mostly, but the principles are the same.

One more thing, I suggest you read up on studio basics...ie the techie stuff on audio interfaces, etc. There are some great basic articles at http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ben, the simple answer is YES, you can get the M-Audio Mobile Pre and set it up as mic > audio interface > computer. BUT, I have a feeling that it may last about as long in your setup as your Samson did. We have all been through this; buy a cheap mic, no good,,, upgrade... still not good enough... upgrade again. Then the same thing with a mixer or voice processor.

Why is it that the Samson will not cut it for you application? I mean, I have my own ideas but I want to know what you are thinking.

MXL mics get some good comments. Apparently they are excellent for the money. After I heard the Studio Projects B1 on the blind listening test, I am rather sold on it for a $100 microphone, and I have heard lots of postive comments on it before. However, a lot of this depends on the sonic qualities of the preamp and I have no idea of the sonic characteristics of the M-Audio Mobile Pre.

One of my favorite user review sites is www.gearslutz.com

Go there and look for the sub-forum "Low-End Theroy". You can register for free and ask your own questions or search for past posts. If you post anything, it is a good idea to put something about VO in the post because a lot of these people use mics for drums or whatever and know them in that context but there are VO people there and they can comment specifically on suitability for VO. (Not that you aren't getting GREAT info right here!)
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
Absolutely. A mixer is not necessary. Heck, with the right audio interface a preamp is built in. For example, the Presonus Firebox I just bought has 2 preamps built in.

First just wanna say hello, I'm new to the board. Second, I haven't used a mixer in over a year. If your just putting in VO, the mixer is just something else to get in the way of the sound. I have two setups.

1). MKH-416>DBX 286A>FMR RNC>Firebox for TV\Radio commercials
2). MKH-416>OSA MP1-L3 pre>FMR RNC>Firebox for my imaging.

No matter what your audio interface is just go into a 1/4 inch input, this bypasses the pre-amps on the interface. Great board here, looking forward to catching up and reading previous posts!
BBeen

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First of all thanks to all for the input

Nick...the Samson is working fine, I'm just ready to take the quality of my recording up a notch.

Now to the nuts and bolts final question, since I can be a bit ADD

what audio interface would you recommend, that way I can do the research on the gear that the pros suggest...requirements for audio interface are:

1) under 200$ if possible

2) provide phantom power

3) also act as a pre-amp

4) decent quality that will last at least 1-2 yrs

5) easy to use
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBeen wrote:
what audio interface would you recommend,

Are you looking for Firewire, USB or PCI?

If you have Firewire and can save up a few bucks more the Presonus Firebox is a good choice. Pretty good pre's and it's stable. They run $299 new but cheaper if you can find used.

PCI- MAudio Delta 1010 LT for $199 and some change

USB- Edirol UA25 runs about $239

Just a few I threw out to get ya lookin'.

Good luck,
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VO-Guy wrote:
Are you looking for Firewire, USB or PCI?

If you have Firewire and can save up a few bucks more the Presonus Firebox is a good choice. Pretty good pre's and it's stable. They run $299 new but cheaper if you can find used.

PCI- MAudio Delta 1010 LT for $199 and some change

USB- Edirol UA25 runs about $239

Just a few I threw out to get ya lookin'.

Good luck,

Once you decide on one, ask about the price. Some places offer "pro" discounts, others will just come off if you ask. I bought my Firebox new for $289 and got a little 8 watt practice amp thrown in for free. Don't need it for anything but still. That reminds me, I need to put that puppy on craigslist.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: