VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "portable" sound booth
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:13 am    Post subject: A "portable" sound booth Reply with quote

If you've read the book "The Voice Actor's Guide to Home Recording" by Harlan Hogan and Jeffrey P. Fisher then you've read about this idea. I had some spare acoustic foam lying around so I thought I would build it this past weekend:

If you have power tools it would be easy enough to cut your own panels, but the Lowe's down the street sells pre cut 2 x 2 plywood so I just bought some of that. I've secured it with duck tape, but you could use hinges I suppose. The book goes into more detail than I will here, but the gist of it you can see in the picture. 2 x 2 panels, foam attached to that. The book suggested laying a towel down on the table, but the foam pictured worked better for me.

Here's a clip I recorded in it so you can hear the sound. Mind you the audio is cheesy. It was for a friend of mine who does a morning show down in the Caymans.

Sample

Conclusions: I've recorded a few things in it. In an empty room (lots of echo) it does a good job killing a lot of , but not all of the reflections.
I moved it to a bedroom (with the bed, drapes, an upholstered chair) and it did a great job. In the empty room, if I drape a blanket (the ugly yellow one in the picture) over the box and me then it takes care of what little reflection was left.

I don't think I would use this as a primary method for recording, and of course it does nothing for the concept of "sound proofing," but overall I like it. I can definitely see taking it along with my laptop, mic, and firebox next time I go on vacation so I can still record.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 9:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like seeing stuff like that! I reassures me that you don't have to spend an arm and a leg to get started in the VO business. Makes me wonder if you could do the same thing to one of the portable cardboard "voting stands" that you see during election time.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not. The foam doesn't weigh much at all. The book suggests foam board as an alternative as well. And that's available at any office supply or Wal-Mart type store.
BBeen

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

t I had one question which I will address here. do you actually stick your head inside the box????? No seriously I need to know before I build one
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE20 inside an outsize motorcycle crash helmet plugged into an ipod?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 17, 2006 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBeen wrote:
t I had one question which I will address here. do you actually stick your head inside the box????? No seriously I need to know before I build one

You know, the book isn't really clear to me on that. That sample I posted, yes I did stick my head in the box. You can see the script propped up inside. Got a bit dark. Also, having to bend over like that compromises your diaphram a bit (not the one on the mic Wink ) I've been playing with sitting up right in front of the box. I THINK that in a normal room this is the way to go. However, I'm set up in my empty room so I'm still getting a little echo or reverb.

If anyone's interested, I'd be happy to post some samples of dry reads in and out the box.

One more note:

I forgot to mention this in my first post. For any one not familiar with acoustic foam I'm quite sure this would not work with your run of the mill egg crate stuff you put on your mattress. That stuff is terrible for acoustic treatment, no matter what your friend who records his band in his mom's basement may say. Spend the extra bucks to buy 4 or 5 2x2 acoustic panels. Two inch (which is what I used) is fine, but 3 inch would be better.

EDIT: I thought I should explain why my recording room is so empty and "echo-y" at the moment. Here's the other small project I'm working on. I like to think of it as the box's little brother.

Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BBeen wrote:

Instead of bending over... sticking your head IN the box... why not attach the box to a cord/rope, and then lower it from the ceiling OVER your head and microphone?... some of us may need a bigger box.
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
RE20 inside an outsize motorcycle crash helmet plugged into an ipod?

Banksey-- have you been peeking into the New Development section at Camp Cooper?

Bitchin
heh
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or, you could suspend it from a tall building, and then get a hot air balloon to take you UP to it!!!! And in between those sessions, use the balloon to take you to other studios all over the world, thereby avoiding ISDN charges!!!

And then you could use the balloon to come to MA and build me one of those contraptions in your second picture. Nice work Brian. Very cool. Please post more pictures as it starts taking shape!
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! Some great suggestions. I have a friend who made a sound booth out of three doors. Well...three doors and a top. Sounds great and works well. He went to a hardware store and bought three hollow doors and hinged them together. Apply your choice of acoustic foam (on the same side as the talent) and speak appropriately!
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mcm wrote:
Nice work Brian. Very cool. Please post more pictures as it starts taking shape!

Will do. I'm keeping a photo journal of sorts on the build with notes.

Oh, for what it's worth, my wife said she heard wives all over the world cringe when I posted the box. She thinks it's really hideous. Maybe I'll paint or stain it so it doesn't bug her so much.

Bill,

I've built a few production rooms, built two radio broadcast studios, helped with a home studio, and one other vocal booth in my career. Along the way I've seen and read about lots of various ways to build a booth. The door idea seems to be fairly popular. Some people use those panels they make office cubicles out of. On another forum, I've even seen a contraption made out of PVC pipe and moving blankets. Not pretty, but it apparently does the job. What is it they say? Necessity is the mother of invention.

Last edited by Hart on Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:35 am; edited 1 time in total
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Markertek is a good place to buy cheap audio foam.

Several years ago I got this portable audio booth from them:

http://www.markertek.com/SearchProduct.asp?item=PMB%2D2&off=4&sort=prod

The price has gone up considerably, but it sounds great. Plus it's made money for me by renting it out to video production companies wanting to do voice overs on their sound stages.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very intersting option, and nice way to bring in a little side cash as well. How long does it take you to break it down/set it up?
billelder

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart,

I've done the PVC pipe things for some acoustic foam here in my studio. Works great and looks good enough not to embarrass me when company comes over. I have also bought from Markertek. Great company, but the shipping will kill you on those big pieces of foam. I just ordered from Foam By Mail. They seem to have great prices and you can get colors too. Free shipping on any purchase over $50. I'll post here if it's any good. Today I got a 48" X 72" of eggcrate in brown for $42. I'll let you know if I get the free shipping before Easter.
CWToo

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
That's a very intersting option, and nice way to bring in a little side cash as well. How long does it take you to break it down/set it up?

Maybe 15 minutes or so.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: