VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

A "portable" sound booth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Hart"]
mcm wrote:

Oh, for what it's worth, my wife said she heard wives all over the world cringe when I posted the box. She thinks it's really hideous. Maybe I'll paint or stain it so it doesn't bug her so much.

Gotta love the spouses who put up with our decoration ideas. My wife puts up with bass traps and sonex on the bedroom walls and she even came home one day to find all the clothes out of our 5 x 10 walkin closet with sonex on the walls and a shower rod with a blanket drapped over it to give me a 5x5 vocal space. Her response? "As long as it's paying the bills, it's fine with me." Gotta love her. Smile
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:28 pm    Post subject: furnies Reply with quote

In Harlan Hogan's book he mentions hanging furniture moving blankets ("furnies" they call 'em in the movie biz!) from hooks in your ceiling for echo-damping on a budget when you're starting out...so I was thinking maybe a tent-pole frame and some furnies. It would all fit in one duffel bag for portability. If the floor's carpeted, does the material really need to extend all the way to the floor? I wouldn't think there'd be much sound bounce happening below one's knees.

PJ
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:33 am    Post subject: Re: furnies Reply with quote

I'm not sure. That's a very good question. As we're talking about absorption and not isolation I think it would be okay, but that's a novice's opinion and nothing more.

Played with my box some more this weekend, moving the mic fore and aft experimenting with it. It gets a good sound. I think I may put my RE20 in there and see how it sounds. Just for grins, I might pull out the SM58 too.

Oh, I recorded my VoG entry in it too.
Bailey
4 Large

Location: Lake San Marcos... north of Connie, northwest of the Best.

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:

EDIT: I thought I should explain why my recording room is so empty and "echo-y" at the moment. Here's the other small project I'm working on. I like to think of it as the box's little brother.

How did you come by the dimensions for that booth?... or is the room size dictating the booth size? Other than sticking your head in a foam padded cardboard box, have you ever found what the minimum dimensions would be for a "walk-in" soundbooth?
VO-BB Member #00044 W00T.gif" alt="W00T" border="0" />
AOVA Graduate 02/2004 ;
"Be a Voice, not an Echo."Ninja
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 24, 2006 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as a matter of fact I am pretty familiar with how to properly build a booth. Depending on who you talk too, there are a few different ideals out there but I'm off regardless of which one you choose. I know this.

It's really an experiment of sorts to see if I can get everything I want into that room and still have it be acoustically sound. So yes, the room size is dictating the booth dimensions. If it doesn't work then I'll end up taking down the ceiling fan, recycling the booth parts and building something more traditional in it's place. You can overcome certain deficiencies with good absorption...but not all so it should be interesting to see what happens. I'm very concerned about the odd angled corners and the low ceiling height, but we'll see what happens.

My first choice was to do the whole "room within a room" thing and make my mixing area and recording area the same space, but my wife made me promise not to do anything to permanently alter the house. I'm not paying for a prebuilt iso booth...especially for one that isn't built to decent dimensions to begin with, so I'm experimenting. If guys can turn the space under the stairs into a functioning booth, I think can figure out something that will work fairly well.

Wood is cheap, I already have plenty of drywall laying around, so it's not really costing me much more than time to screw with it.

As far as the box, I do like it...but I have another room set up for recording. 60% or so coverage of 2" Auralex in there. Where do you think I got the extra foam for the box? Wink
Bill

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was poking around and came across this old thread,

wondering if you got the booth finished and how it's worked out.

TIA
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Thu May 11, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope haven't finished the booth. I took a hiatus for winter since I do most of my working outside, and to save up some more money. Now that it's warm again I've worked on it the past couple of weekends. Either this weekend or next I will sheetrock it, then the only big thing left is the foam. But that's a biggie and requires another couple of spots to come through to pay for it.
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Mon May 15, 2006 9:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Too funny, since, as usual, my mind's all over the place, and this weekend was spent pondering and looking online at metro-shed.com and whisperrooms and voice booths and moderncabana.com. Keep us posted!
sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will. For what it's worth, my wife has said when we move she'd rather we just buy a pre-built. Yes, I've spent a lot less money but the garage has been full of 2x4's and sheetrock for months and the office has been a wreck. And, when it's all said and done I still don't know if I will have achieved a better booth, worse, or about the same. Hopefully we'll find out soon.

One more downside to my homemade one, can't take it with us when we move.
stonevoiceovers

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:20 pm    Post subject: a solution... Reply with quote

This might be the answer you're looking for. Check out the link and look into the "Stone-Booth In A Bag".

http://www.soundsuckers.com/current.htm#current

I use it and it works.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Steve-- I like the look of your rig! cool
(heh-- I'm a Mac Powerbook-and-Mbox person, too)

This looks like what the doctor ordered. Compact but large enough to accommodate everything you need--= and completely pack-able up-able.

Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jul 12, 2006 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's much prettier than my version, I'll give them that. Looks slick! Packs better too. Mine cost me about $20. I wonder how much this one runs?
Diane Maggipinto
Spreading Snark Worldwide

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Looks slick! Packs better too. Mine cost me about $20. I wonder how much this one runs?

Thought I'd inquire and this can be said: they're quick with customer service. And from the response below, they've validated what we know: the VO biz (on the road?) is ramping up!

Hi Diane, Thank you for your interest in GK-Acoustic products. This has
been a HOT item! It costs $1344.00 plus we can ship it to you anywhere in
the US for $60 or under. IF you would like additional info, please feel free
to call anytime, as I will be happy to assist you! Thanks---Rachel

GK Acoustics
sales@gkacoustics.com
www.soundsuckers.com

sitting at #8, though not as present as I'd like to be. Hello!

www.d3voiceworks.com
jrodriguez315
A Hundred Dozen

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 7:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:
I think I may put my RE20 in there and see how it sounds. Just for grins, I might pull out the SM58 too.

As I currently have an SM58 and am thinking about building one of those boxes, I'd be very interested in what it sounds like in there. I would also love to hear a side-by-side between the RE20 and the SM58 in your box if you have time.

By the way, did you every finish that booth?
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Fri Oct 06, 2006 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I took the box apart because the booth is up. Here's the thread

The box is ready for road trips though.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: