VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Monitors vs. Monitor
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 12:17 pm    Post subject: Monitors vs. Monitor Reply with quote

I need to make monitors my next purchase. Question: If you're doing only raw voice files and not full audio production, can you get by with one monitor instead of a pair? It's a mono recording of a point-source sound; do I really need stereo playback? I'm on a really tight budget, and would prefer one good one instead of a pair of kinda-OK ones if I can get away with it.

Any suggestions? My ceiling's about 200 bucks right now.

Pat
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't see why not. I used one speaker for a long time when I first started out. But if you actually start to mix some stuff you'll really need two. Plus if you use one speaker too long you'll start to walk in circles.Smile
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That would drive me nuts. I think I'd rather have a pair of cheap or "decent" monitors instead of one good one.

My 2 cents.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used plain old stereo speakers until I blew 'em up.

Nah-- I didn't blow 'em up. They just got tired over time.
I upgraded to better stereo speakers.
nick reed

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pat,

The cheap fix for you is to run your sound into the auxillary input of a stereo or boom box that you already have, well... if you already have one.

This is something that I do know something about. I used to design and build stereo speakers as a hobby. I know good sound when I hear it.

Here are my top recommendations for budget studio monitors...

$500/pr. Yamaha MSP5 http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMSP5

$300/pr. Yamaha http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMMSP3

$250/pr. Wharfdale Diamond http://www.zzounds.com/item--WHADP81A

The Yamaha MSP5's are very good. It has been so long since I have heard the Wharfdale's that I can't really remember how they sounded compared to the MSP5's. Both use 5" woofers. The little Yamahas are quite good though, and perfect for a really small spaces. On the tightest budget, I would go for the Warfdales. They may actually be as good or better than the MSP5's. One thing I like about the Yamaha monitors is the metal grille over the drivers.

Nick
donrandall

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everybody has their own ideas about what to do and how to do it, and the funny thing is that what works is what works, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

I believe is spending money where it is necessary and being frugal where it poses no problem.

I had the use of some very nice - and very pricey - really super duper honest to gosh voiceover guy high dollar monitor speakers, courtesy of an agency I have done some work for. Then, one day at Radio Shack, I spotted a couple of RCA speakers on a closeout deal. Not large, the heavy metal box is about that tall and maybe just about so wide. I think I got a pair for around forty dollars - then I took 'em home and did an A/B comparison with the honest to gosh, genuine, official, real deal production studio voiceover guy big boy speakers....and.....Yeeehaaaaa.......! I spent forty dollars for speakers that are every bit as suitable for the job as the three hundred dollar (maybe more?) jobs that I was worried that I might have to replace if I managed to damage 'em.

It ain't about how much you spend - it's about whether they do the job or not.
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Wed Jan 18, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a conversation with a 14 year old a couple of months ago who was complaining about his boom box and lack of having an iPod. So, I said to him: "Do you know how we had to get stereo back in . . ."

Ha! Who of you remember Stereo Simulcast where one channel was your AM radio and the other was FM? Either one, alone, was mono.

Whew! I'm getting old.

cc
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
kgenus
Seriously Devoted

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Generally, when purchasing monitors, you buy for a specific reason - surround mixing, surround monitoring, stereo mixing, stereo monitoring. There's no reason to spend essential funds on monitoring for raw voice tracks, unless you're attempting to satisfy the most recent case of gear lust.

Fostex 6301BEAV is a small active speakers. That page (BSW) also has "similar" items from $60 up.
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
Everybody has their own ideas about what to do and how to do it, and the funny thing is that what works is what works, regardless of anyone else's opinion.

I believe is spending money where it is necessary and being frugal where it poses no problem.

I spent forty dollars for speakers that are every bit as suitable for the job as the three hundred dollar (maybe more?) jobs that I was worried that I might have to replace if I managed to damage 'em.

It ain't about how much you spend - it's about whether they do the job or not.

True Don. Interestingly, Radio Shack occasionally has some real standout products. I know the speakers of which you speak... and they were one of those items. Those speakers were known by audiophiles to perform insanely well for their size and price. Many audiophiles had them in their second stereo system, like in an office or bedroom.

Currently they have some audio cables with knurled gold connectors. These are known buy audiophiles to be a bargain interconnect. The electrical capacitance on these is lower than many much more expensive brands.

kgenus said
Quote:
There's no reason to spend essential funds on monitoring for raw voice tracks, unless you're attempting to satisfy the most recent case of gear lust.

Man, do I understand gear lust, as I think a number of us on vo-bb do.

I think that I need to clarify my statements and position on a couple of things.

First, headphones are not used for mixing because headphones will not give you a realistic representation of the mix. Headphones are used for laying down ONE track at a time. Then, monitors are used for mixing the final product.

It's true that you don't have to spend much money on vo speakers, or any other piece of vo gear for that matter but some people enjoy owning and using guality pieces of gear and they can actually hear the difference.

When I make gear recommendations, it is always within the wants & needs of the person seeking the advice. I don't recommend a U87 to someone who hints at an MXL nor do I recommend an MXL to someone who is considering mics in the range of $500 to $1000.

When Pat said that he had $200 to put toward ONE speaker, I took this as a hint that he was looking for something in the $400 range for whatever reason. So I am not going to recommend $50 speakers. He has his own reasons for purchasing in that price range.

Accuracy is the most important quality in audio monitors and headphones. Speakers with exaggerated bass may make you sound better but then you will adjust the bass and make the recording too lean. Likewise, if the monitors are too bright, you will reduce the high frequencies and then your recording will sound dull. If you have an accurate monitor, your mixes will be right.

Once your mix is done, it is a good idea to listen to it on your home stereo and boom box and maybe even in your car because that is how people will ultimately hear it. It will sound way different than it did on your monitors. However, you really don't want to mix on a boom box because it is not accurate and you won't be able to tell what is really being recorded.

So, you can buy $50 monitors if they are accurate... or it that is your budget for the moment... but I stand by my earlier recommendations. Yamaha NS10's are legendary in studios. Yamaha knows how to make monitors and the MSP series is excellent.

Here is a link to a short article about the NS10's and it raises an interesting question... what is the best volume to use for monitoring with any particular set of monitors. The author mentions that the NS10's work best at low volume.

Nick
VO-Guy

PostPosted: Thu Jan 19, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anybody tried out the new Yamaha's yet?

http://www.zzounds.com/item--YAMHS80M

Thinking about replacing my Alesis M1 Active MKII's
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 3:43 pm    Post subject: Event TR5-N Reply with quote

Thanks for all the input, guys...I'm definitely going with a pair, not one...and as much as I'd like to save a few bucks by moving my stereo into the recordiong room, there's no space so, looks like I need the real thing.

I went to MacMurrays and the guy has one pair of Event TR5-N's left that he'll sell me for $300. I listened to them and they souned great...granted, he was playing a keyboard and not voice, but he said that you won't find much truer in the price range. I looked on Musiciansfriend and they go for the same price online, but at the shop I can put them on layaway to fit my cash trickle... eh, cash flow, I mean.

Whatcha think? Should I plunk down my 25% now or keep looking?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For my money, you can't beat Event monitors! I have a pair of 20/20 bas and I can't say enough good things about them.

Before I purchased the 20's I was almost ready to plunk down the cash for the TR5's, but then found an awesome deal on the 20's (actually cheaper than the TR5's!).

My opinion... go for it, you won't be let down!
nick reed

PostPosted: Sat Jan 28, 2006 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Events should serve you well. You can always add a subwoofer some time in the future if you feel that the bass is not sufficient. I actually prefer small satellite speakers with a subwoofer, as opposed to larger speakers.

I would say to go for it. You have to start somewhere.
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

2 votes is better than none...sold (hopefully someone hasn't snatched them up today while I was at my jobs). It'll be nice having at least one piece of equipment that isn't total bargain-basement and will last me awhile.

Thanks folks...all of ya!

PJ
marko

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJ, mine aren't the most cost conscious of them all, ($650), but they sure sound amazing. They are the KRK V6's and I have been extremely happy with them. I really like the auto shut-off feature since I have about 27 peripherals that I have to turn off Wink
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: