VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

DIY - Vocal Booth
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
John M

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 9:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
Dave, Yes! A fellow Snappy owner.

Hart, the Snappy was before digital cameras that allowed people to import pictures to their computer for their web pages. You plug your camporder to the input and the Snappy into one of your computer ports.

I do need to invest in a decent digital camera. The problem is that I don't ever go anywhere or do anything. LOL

We got my Mother a Nikon Coolpix 4600 for Christmas. Takes a sweet picture, is very small and has a 3x optical zoom. It was only about $170 and a 512mb memory card ran me about $30
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mine is an Olympus something or other. My mother gave it to us for Christmas one year. I thought I was going to accept a job in Honolulu and she wanted us to send lots of pics to her. The job didn't work out, so she gets lots of pictures of the dog and cat instead and I get to post pics of meaningless stuff on the internet....

oh lookie!! Here's one now:

Rolls Eyes
SoundsGreat-Elaine Singer
King's Row

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

But he (she?) is so cute, we'll forgive you Smile
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

She. Her name is Millie, and we spoil her rotten.
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hart wrote:

If you have a digital camera, I for one would love to see a few pictures.

lessee if this works:

Furnies-over-PVC. The back wall is a mattress leaning against the wall with a blanket on it (in an eye-pleasing southwestern motif). My high-tech copystand is a spring paperclip fastened to the blanket with a safetypin. The light is an old Itty Bitty Book Light, also pinned to the blanket. She ain't exactly a Whisperroom, but it's an improvement...before, the reverb off the bare walls sounded like I was talking inside a concrete silo.

Like folks here have told me a number of times...ya gotta start somewhere.
billelder

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 4:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nicely done!
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 5:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJHawke wrote:
She ain't exactly a Whisperroom, but it's an improvement...before, the reverb off the bare walls sounded like I was talking inside a concrete silo.

And that's what it's all about. I think it looks great PJ. I especially like your solution for a "copy stand." Clever and inexpensive.

Is that your audio interface attached to the pvc on the left? Or a headphone amp? How did you get it attached? I can't quite tell from the photo?

Thanks for sharing, that's awesome.
PJHawke
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 12:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanx Bill! And hey, I love that Behringer mic you turned me on to. Very nice. Since its not as echo-sensitive as the condenser, I can leave the doors pinned open behind me and have a continuous air supply. With the flaps closed I gotta take breather breaks.

Brian, the little thingy on the left with the eerie blue eye is my interface (I brought it into the tent because the USB cable is long enough and that way I can keep my 5' mic cord, minimizing the cable length at the analogue end of the chain). It's just 2 spring clamps with a piece of pegboard wired to it to form a deck...toss on a piece of no-skid rubber shelf liner and voila.

It's plenty sturdy enough cuz the clamps are very tight and the box weighs less than a pound. And best of all it's Mondo Cheep. Rolls Eyes
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2006 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice. That's some creative thinking there.
lisaloo

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was able to craft my "booth" for about $400 several years ago.

My main concerns at that time were flexibility/ease-of-use and a desire to avoid permanently transforming the spare bedroom into a studio in the event I ever wanted to sell the house (which I did only two years later).

On the advice of a couple of audio engineer pals, I went to the local home store and bought several inexpensive hollow-core closet doors and hinged them together - two apiece to make four sections, so they could be moved and adjusted easily. (I'm only about 5'1", so I needed to be able to lift and shift the pieces on my own as needed.)

The biggest $$ investment was in high-quality acoustical foam (about $300 worth), which I was luckily able to find and purchase locally. Without exception, every pro audio person I talked to advised me to spend the money on good foam. Just as we should always get the best mic we can afford (garbage in, garbage out), they warned me about being penny-wise and pound foolish when it comes to soundproofing -- and given that I was living in a not-so-quiet neighborhood in the heart of Chicago at that time, I'm really grateful that I listened.

Anyhow . . .

We sized the foam, cut it and then hot-glued the big pieces to one side of each panel. Then we I took the remaining foam and placed it across the top of the configuration to make a "ceiling". There is usually only one section of the "booth" open to the room so I can get in and out, but that opening hasn't been a factor -- I can always find a way to adjust it so there are few (if any) issues with bounce.

The thing sure doesn't look beautiful, but the whole idea was to create something that sounded great and remained ever-portable. I have moved several times since we first built it, and it's been easy as pie to transport and reconfigure every time. In fact, because there have never been any complaints, I ditched my long-term concept of buying a "real" booth.

And if I amortize the $400 I spent back in early 2001, I think I'm ahead of the game.

Wink

Lisa
Gregory Best
The Gates of Troy

Location: San Diego area (east of Connie and south and east of Bailey)

PostPosted: Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:30 pm    Post subject: Lisa, does your booth help keep outsides nosies out? Reply with quote

Are you still using the expander/gate too?

Greg
lisaloo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 06, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mic processor with expander/gate plugged into the configuration, but I'm not sure how much it's really doing.

Overall, I don't seem to have much trouble with outside noise, though.

Lisa
jrkaiser

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lisa, would you be willing to post some pics of the booth? I'm stopping by the door factory in town to get some factory seconds for 5 bucks a piece on Monday
lisaloo

PostPosted: Mon Feb 13, 2006 7:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry so late with this reply . . . I don't get to check in that often!

And unfortunately, I have no camera with which to supply a pic. However, I did find some similar instructions online, which might help:

Quote:
DIY: PORTABLE ISOLATION BOOTH - Space is always limited in the typical bedroom studio, so it's usually impossible to build a vocal isolation booth into a personal studio. Fortunately, you can make a portable iso booth that can be set up when needed and broken down for easy storage when the session is over. "First, get three unfinished sliding closet doors," says studio designer and musician Jack Jacobsen. "The doors are lightweight and hollow on the inside, so they're easy to work with. Then hinge the three doors together with hinge pins. To ensure the sound of the booth is conducive to cutting vocals, it's essential you attach absorptive foam on the inside of each door to help diminish sibilance and high-frequency reflections. If you feel it would help the performer to have visual cues, you can easily cut an eye slot into the door. "Now, position the three-sided booth in a corner of the room to form a five-sided area," Jacobsen continues. This configuration minimizes the possibility of reflections from parallel walls. You should also hang shipping mats on the back wall to help absorb the lower frequencies of the voice that occur at around 200 Hz or 300 Hz. Again, the use of absorptive materials is critical because you want this area to be as nonreflective, dead, and anechoic of an environment as possible. When you're done, you just pull the hinge pins, break the booth down into pieces, and store the unit away."

Lisa
mpj358

PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2006 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought this was interesting if not amusing.
http://www.thephi.com/voicebox.wmv
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: