VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anybody using a Focusrite Saffire?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 11:53 am    Post subject: Anybody using a Focusrite Saffire? Reply with quote

Got any feedback on it?
louzucaro
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have one at home connected to a Vista machine running AA 3.0.

It works.

One funky thing is that they include a power cable and a Firewire cable...you only need one...if you use the Firewire cable, you don't need to use the power cable, so I'm not sure why it's included.

Also, I found that daisy-chaining it through an external hard drive's Firewire ports isn't fun, because the drive goes to sleep all the time. Doh!

But the Saffire is pretty non-nonsense and I never had any trouble with it. I haven't used it a ton...a handful of times last year right after the baby was born and I was home for a few weeks.

"Well, yeah, there's my favorite leaf!"
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Lou. I remember reading that they include a power cord for non firewire connectivty. The firewire provides power but if you want to run it offline you can use the power cord.

I probably wouldn't be daisy chaining so no prob there.
How's the sound?
Eddie
ricevoice
Cinquecento

PostPosted: Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using one for a little over a year, I like it. I daisy-chained it with my external but put the Saffire in the middle of the chain, so it's not dependent on the external for anything.

I don't use any of the onboard effects (it's got comp/eq/reverb)... the effects are a pain to authorize if your recording PC isn't online, but the unit works fine if you don't bother. I only did a little research before I bought mine, but most of what I read said it had the best AD/DA converters in its price range and it's really quiet. I'm happy with my purchase.
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Wed Apr 01, 2009 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Chris!
Donna
King's Row

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm glad to see this discussion. I currently use a MAudio Fast Track Pro USB interface, and while it is vewy vewy quiet, I find that I have to boost the volume a lot when I edit, even with the fasttrack gain as high as it will go. How's the gain with the Saffire?
Living Culture
Contributore Level V

PostPosted: Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Saffire LE for about a year, and I don't think anything its price range can touch it.

One little hangup I have is the "consumer" SP/DIF, using the IO. Most pro gear would use "pro" SP/DIF IO. This means that if you want to use the the SPDIF with another device, you will have to budget for an overpriced convertor too.

Other than that, great preamps and sound.
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Donna wrote:
I'm glad to see this discussion. I currently use a MAudio Fast Track Pro USB interface, and while it is vewy vewy quiet, I find that I have to boost the volume a lot when I edit, even with the fasttrack gain as high as it will go. How's the gain with the Saffire?

You must be using Windows, am I right?
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Donna
King's Row

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup, I am using XP. Why do you ask???
georgethetech
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you checked the Windows mixer panel to see if the Wave output level is turned down? If you are using the WDM drivers instead of the ASIO drivers, this can happen.
424-226-8528
VOBS.TV Co-host
TheProAudioSuite.com Co-host
TriBooth.com Co-founder
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Eddie Eagle
M&M

PostPosted: Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, after going through 3 firewire cards 1 with TI Chip, 1 with NEC Chip and 1 with LSI chip I say farewell to firewire and Saffire. None of the cards would talk with the unit even though Focusrite sez TI and NEC chips are recommended. These were not cheap cards either. @$53 each.

I'm now looking at the Edirol UA101 or the Lexicon U42S
About a hunderd bucks dif but the Edirol has more controls and inputs. I really like having a limiter on the Edirol. The Lexicon is a sexy little interface and I like the output control on it as well as having gain controls for each channel, not to mention the dbx preamps for each channel. But I think the Edirol may win out based on functions. The Edirol preamps are great too, not to mention the sampling rates on the Edirol go up to 192k and the Lexicon only goes to 96 with both at 24 bit. I know I know.... what the hellck am I going to use 192 for? Well I do have synths and it would be nice to catch all the nuance of the sounds.... and they are there, not to mention the sound from the mic would be rather sensitive... Do I really want to hear the subtlties of voice? Or have a forgiving system that would help me out?

They are both USB and that means no brainer!! Wink
donrandall

PostPosted: Sat Apr 18, 2009 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Well, after going through 3 firewire cards 1 with TI Chip, 1 with NEC Chip and 1 with LSI chip I say farewell to firewire and Saffire. None of the cards would talk with the unit even though Focusrite sez TI and NEC chips are recommended. These were not cheap cards either. @$53 each.

I'm sorry to hear that it doesn't work well for you.

My Focusrite Saffire works perfectly. I couldn't be more pleased with it.

No problems of any kind.

Sometimes even the best parts don't play well with other parts, even those from good families.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: