VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scripts for self produced demo....
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:23 pm    Post subject: Scripts for self produced demo.... Reply with quote

I'm a beginning voiceover guy, Have been involved in theatre and acting for the past 30 years, but have never really formally tried to take the plunge into this world....

Over the past 5 years, I have put together a decent studio (I'm also a vocalist and play keyboards). mostly music oriented...I have Logic Pro 7 on the mac, with a ton of plugsins, and a PC with everyplugin known to man...also a giant collection of loops and samples....my gear is kind of modest for Vo work, a mackie 1202 and a Studio Projects condensor...i'm looking at the symetrix 528..

I'm in a major market (Chicago) and the competition is stiff.. I'm in a voiceover workshop/class with a top coach in town, and my idea was to try to compile my own demo...It needs to be top notch...the advice Im getting so far is with my knowledge I should be able to put it together, but have a professional VO studio master it ....

My question would be ....a)does it sound like I'm on the right track here?
and b) where do you go about getting some VO copy for your demo with production notes for backing tracks?

thanks all...
captain
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My question would be ....a)does it sound like I'm on the right track here?
and b) where do you go about getting some VO copy for your demo with production notes for backing tracks?

As far as the Right Track is concerned-- getting a producer will nearly always give you a superior product because we tend to not be able to "see the forest for the trees" with our own voice work. A Demo is something to assemble over time-- if you record all the elements in a day it will sound like it. If you have good enough home equipment you should be able to get a good sound for a demo-- ideally you'll be gathering material from different sources.

Copy is yours for the taking-- transcribe TV and/ or radio commercials. Use magazine copy. The production side of it is up to you.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
As far as the Right Track is concerned-- getting a producer will nearly always give you a superior product because we tend to not be able to "see the forest for the trees" with our own voice work. A Demo is something to assemble over time-- if you record all the elements in a day it will sound like it. .

I'm giving myself a couple of months to put something together, and relying on this coach/workshop I'm invovled with to point out which direction this demo should take...

I've posed the question of whether or not it's advisable to produce a demo at home to Harlan Hogan (who is from my neck of the woods) and he said he's sees no reason why as long as you have a professional go over the final product...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it depends on your level of experience and comfort with it. I produce a lot of commercials for the radio stations I work for and I'm very comfortable with producing my own stuff. Been doing it since '92. BUT that's also why, when the time comes, I really want to have somebody with some fresh ears produce a demo for me. I don't know if they can do it better, but I'm willing to pay for a different perspective.
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am almost in the same boat as Hart, however, I produce my own demos and have trusted professionals (i.e. my agents, and a few gifted VO artists) critique them in detail.

As for you being on the right track? Yes, you are on the right track. Training first is essential. Then you pick up small gigs here and there. Then, go for the big time and land a part-time job in the McDonalds Drive Thru around the corner. You can learn proper mic control all day long. Laugh
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been involved in acting since the mid 70's....did summer stock, dinner theatre, studied with one of the best acting teachers in NYC, worked for years on stage in Chicago, in NYC, done a couple of films, some Tv stuff...and the interesting thing I've found about all this is that you really have to acquire a completely new set of skills....

the acting training and background is critical, but I'm starting to think
that if you have some kind of improv background you are really set up to do well with this, cause you are trained to think on your feet and be playful, have fun...The people that do well here in Chicago, a lot of them had some kind of Second City training, and I've heard the producers love to have the Second City people come in because they bring new and interesting script re-re-writes to the table...

I never really wanted to be bothered with the VO stuff, even though for years people have said I have the voice for it. ..I'm really more interested in utilizing my home studio and trying to make use of it rather than my own personal enjoyment and the occasional band or solo artist demo I produce for someone...

I appreciate all the feedback and advice here, and believe me, I'll coming back for more !!!
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
I never really wanted to be bothered with the VO stuff, even though for years people have said I have the voice for it. ..I'm really more interested in utilizing my home studio and trying to make use of it rather than my own personal enjoyment and the occasional band or solo artist demo I produce for someone...

The market place is so tough I would think very seriously about whether you waste another penny or indeed another second trying to launch yourself as a voice over.

I am not saying that you are not good enough or never will be good enough, my cautionary note is based soley on the above quote. It is highly likely by the time you have earned your first dollar as a voice over you will have invested at least $2,000 and a great deal of effort and time.

It could be I am reading indifference where I should be reading cold, commercial reality. If so, my apologies, nothing wrong with the latter at all.
captain54
Lucky 700

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Banksey wrote:
captain54 wrote:

The market place is so tough I would think very seriously about whether you waste another penny or indeed another second trying to launch yourself as a voice over.

I am not saying that you are not good enough or never will be good enough, my cautionary note is based soley on the above quote. It is highly likely by the time you have earned your first dollar as a voice over you will have invested at least $2,000 and a great deal of effort and time.

It could be I am reading indifference where I should be reading cold, commercial reality. If so, my apologies, nothing wrong with the latter at all.

I guess what I was trying to say was that now I see an opportunity to have some fun with it, utilizing my home studio, maybe doing some production, knowing full well it may be awhile before dollar one is earned, Also when I started out VO guys were kind of converted radio geeks that couldn't make it in theatre or film, and that certainly is not the case anymore.
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got it now! You see an opportunity to use your acting talents and other resources to add another income stream and have some fun along the way. Good balanced approach, it will serve you well. Best of luck.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2006 7:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

captain54 wrote:
converted radio geeks...

Ahem. Cries
donrandall

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Radio Geeks?

So, only actors can voice commercials or other voiceovers? Well, that seems to be an increasingly popular notion these days. But consider that most of us Radio Geeks have voiced many, many commercials over the years - and in many cases, we have also taken on industrial and instructional reads as well.

I can see where some acting chops work well for certain spots. I have also noticed an awful lot of slick, highly polished and well acted commercials that were very entertainling little radio plays. Cool - but, uhhh......what the heck was the product? Where can I buy it and why do I need it?

Forgive me for sounding off here, but in my opinion, a lot of clients are spending money and not getting what they are paying for - what the need is something to get the phones ringin' and the doors swingin'!
allensco
Flight Attendant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: radio geeks? Reply with quote

donrandall wrote:
Radio Geeks?

So, only actors can voice commercials or other voiceovers? Well, that seems to be an increasingly popular notion these days. But consider that most of us Radio Geeks have voiced many, many commercials over the years - and in many cases, we have also taken on industrial and instructional reads as well.

I can see where some acting chops work well for certain spots. I have also noticed an awful lot of slick, highly polished and well acted commercials that were very entertainling little radio plays. Cool - but, uhhh......what the heck was the product? Where can I buy it and why do I need it?

Forgive me for sounding off here, but in my opinion, a lot of clients are spending money and not getting what they are paying for - what the need is something to get the phones ringin' and the doors swingin'!

Here, here! Thank you Don! I, too, am a radio geek...uh...professional, and I've voiced many, many commerials over my 21 years and haven't had nary a complaint.
Hart
Assistant Asylum Chief

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well that makes 3 of us with a burr under our respective collars doesn't it?
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All right, you guys. No "radio guys vs. actors" threads allowed.

We all need both skills. Stage and movie actors need to be taught mic technique-- something broadcast pros bring to the table. The Broadcasters need to learn about character development and script interpretation.

Everyone needs to learn to keep their hands out of their pockets at the mic stand.

So simmer down, y'all. Don't make me pull over.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incidentally, the term is "burr under your saddle" , meaning a persistent irritation.

You can be "hot under the collar" or irritated.
You can have a "chip on your shoulder".

It's better if you don't, though.

Last edited by Deirdre on Tue Jan 31, 2006 6:32 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: