VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tax returns and microphones.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
donrandall

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2006 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The guy at the store basically asked me what the hell was wrong with me and told me I was going to blow up my computer.....

Oh, Oh.....

I guess I better hurry and unplug mine before I do some serious damage, huh?

I use the internal soundcard, it requires a cable with the RCA connections at the mixer end and a single 1/8 in stereo plug at the other end. The card is sufficiently quiet that the small amount of ambient room noise is greater than the small amount inherent in the card. I little noise reduction cleans it up quite nicely. So far, I have never had a complaint from anyone concerning noise, not once, not ever.

Oh - speaking of noise reduction - I bought a program (online download)from a company in South America, Brazil I believe that works very well for me. The program is called "DePopper". You can check it out here: www.depopper.com if you are interested.

It is intended as a clean up program for those who are converting LP's and/or tape to digital and want to eliminated pops, clicks and surface noise or tape hiss. I decided to mess around and see what it would do as a denoiser for VO - and without ever tinkering with any adjustments, using the default setting under "Minimize Hiss", I got surprisingly good results. This is a very simple, easy to use and understand program that is a "Stand Alone" affair, rather than plug-in, which is nice because plug-ins sometimes don't work well with some digital editing programs. It has some other nice features too, and for around $40 or so, it is well worth it to anyone who can benefit from it.
John M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deirdre wrote:
John M wrote:
Thank you much everybody. Deidre, do you happen to know of any good places in the area to buy mics? Laugh

Crikey, I just saw this!

Sorry I didn't respond sooner.

John, where in Maine are you?

Throw a rock to the northwest and you'll probably hit my house. Laugh

I already ended up grabbing the MXL 990. Haven't had a chance to try it yet, but for right now this is all just a hobby. I'll report in when I get it all hooked up. Wink
John M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bailey wrote:
John M wrote:
Now I just need to find a cable. I have two 1/4" outputs (L and R). I'm assuming my best bet would be to use two 1/4" mono cables and run them into a dual mono 1/4" to 1/8" stereo Y-connector?

Now you're starting to confuse me. I just wired my 802 this way... "tape out" 2 mono plugs to a "Y" adaptor with 3.5mm mono plug into the "line in" sound card. "Tape in" 2 mono plugs to a "Y" adaptor with a 3.5mm stereo plug into the "output" sound card. Isn't it suppose to be "mono" into the sound card, and "stereo" out?

No clue. I talked to a buddy of mine who's hooked his mixer for his turn table into his PC. He said he usually runs from the main out into the line in on his sound card. I know the Mic is only going to use a mono connection, but I might hook another computer from the line out to the mixer and I'll need stereo for that.
billelder

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would wire it for stereo in case you want to produce the whole commercial including music.

Some sound cards have to be configured to accept "line in" instead of Mic. I'm using Windows 3.1 (Just kidding...it's 98SE but folks look at me like I am using 3.1) so to change that go to the speaker icon and double click. Go to 'options' and 'properties'. Select 'Recording' and be sure 'line in' or 'Aux' is selected.

This link explains some of the basics.
John M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

billelder wrote:
I would wire it for stereo in case you want to produce the whole commercial including music.

Some sound cards have to be configured to accept "line in" instead of Mic. I'm using Windows 3.1 (Just kidding...it's 98SE but folks look at me like I am using 3.1) so to change that go to the speaker icon and double click. Go to 'options' and 'properties'. Select 'Recording' and be sure 'line in' or 'Aux' is selected.

This link explains some of the basics.

Cool beans. I work in a computer shop so from the PC side I can work my way around. It's getting the equipment into the computer that's been the adventure. Laugh
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An electronics engineer source close to this source says it doesn't matter a bit whether you use the left or right output jack on the mixer. I just looked at my plug and see that it's a mono plug. Presumably if you're using both outputs ya want stereo plugs.

I can't see the plug that goes into the sound card because I would have to crawl under the computer desk to do it and I'm not feeling that sprightly this morning (rough night at karate class last night). But it sounds like you've got things under control.

As I look at my cable, though, I see that it's about six times as long as it needs to be. I've got a bit of extra hiss in my system and should probably shorten that thing. Well, I'm glad we had this little talk....
John M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way I see it...ANYTHING is an improvement over THIS! $9 Jensen PC mic complete with windscreen courtesy of Kleenex! cool

John M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK. I have everything hooked up, but I'm not hearing anything. So here's some fun with Photoshop! I have the mic hooked into the red (MIC 1) circle. I've tried hooking my soundcard into the blue (MAIN OUT) and the green (CONTROL ROOM) circles. I am getting no sound in the PC. I'm going to keep adjusting the different levels and what not, but am I going out of the mixer through the wrong connections?

Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Either jack that you have circled in blue should work. You're using a 1/4" to 1/8" cable right? Which jack in the sound card are you plugging into? Mic or Line?

Try mic if you're plugging into line. Then you've got to click into your computer's mixer and make sure you've selected mic.

Also..that little phantom power button...you've got that turned on right?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm going to line - in. Phantom power is on. Now, there is a little meater and none of those LEDs are lighting up except Power and Phantom Power. I'll try the mic connection.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't see what the upper gain setting is, but the lower one is set to zero in your picture. You will need to have some volume if you're to record anything.

And select the proper setting in your computer's Recording Control (Control Panel, Sounds and Audio Devices, Voice, Volume - then pick either Analog Mix or Mic, depending on where you're plugged into the sound card.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes..go into the mic input. I always panic myself when I plug into line instead of mic and get nuthin'.

Then be sure to go into you Windows mixer/record mode and make sure your mic slider is on. And while there, mute line.

Now, if someone could tell me why the hell I get reverb through on my new USB soundcard...we'd be getting someplace.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
John M

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Drew wrote:
Yes..go into the mic input. I always panic myself when I plug into line instead of mic and get nuthin'.

Then be sure to go into you Windows mixer/record mode and make sure your mic slider is on. And while there, mute line.

Now, if someone could tell me why the hell I get reverb through on my new USB soundcard...we'd be getting somepla667.76

Still not getting anything. Should the LEDs under the power and phantom lights be moving when I talk into the mic? Because they aren't lighting up at all.
Drew
King's Row

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now you've got me stumped. I'm not familiar with that mixer. I use a Soundcraft. But it's laid out very similarly to yours. I've got no LED's. Mary..do your LED's light up when you're pushing audio through your mixer?
It would seem to me that you should be getting some kind of blinking.
Hate to think you got a bum mixer.
mcm
Smart Kitteh

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2006 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the bottom lights - the pair that says "20" - lights up.

Did you turn the gain knobs up?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: