VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD!
Where A.I. is a four-letter word.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New Source Connect - Less Expensive, built for VO Artist
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dan-O
The Gates of Troy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: New Source Connect - Less Expensive, built for VO Artist Reply with quote

Source Connect is releasing a new version for $395. Check it out here:
http://www.source-elements.com/Source-Connect/Source-Connect2.5.php
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this is cool... and only $395... what the heck is it?
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, sounds interesting!

Source-Connect enables audio connections between Pro Tools systems anywhere in the world, allowing direct-to-the-timeline recording with real-time, broadcast-quality audio using only T1, Cable, or DSL internet connections.

Doesn't require expensive ISDN lines, hardware, subscription fees, or minute-by-minute line charges, so your professional, home, or portable studio can affordably access any studio and any talent - anywhere in the world.
Deirdre
Czarina Emeritus

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hasn't Charlie tried this out with success?
I'd be interested to see how well it works. The price sure just became a lot more attractive.
nick reed

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spacegypsy,

You are really becoming the "source connection" for technical information around here lately. Thanks for the explanation. I don't have PT though... maybe that's my first mistake (well, not my FIRST mistake, but you know what I mean)...
Spacegypsy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nah, not really Nick, I just clicked the link on the web page Smile
marko

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, I'd really be interested in this if it works well. Please keep us posted, someone!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guess my comments were heard. Lips Are Sealed

Now if we can just get them to Open Source - Source Connect...????

With some reservations (the limiting of SC to ProFools ONLY) Source Connect is a viable alternative to ISDN - in SOME cases. SC may prove out to be a good choice for Voice Over Talent in the future... but for now it has some limitations.

One major limitation at present, besides what is listed above, is connectivity... how many VO Talent are using SC? And, how many Project Studios are using SC...??? Can you connect to the Big Studios? Yes, but it is limited and costly to bridge to ISDN. The limitations abound...

Thanks SC, for the price change to the more reality based range, you're getting closer...

Frank F
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pricing is an issue with Source Connect. I gave it a test run. It works as advertised. But your upload speed has got to meet spec's. Comcast's "regular" upload speed is marginal. It works, but you know you're close to the edge at 384Kbps. There were some tweeks we were able to make and SC worked fine.

The way I figured it, if a client decided to use a studio that used SC, then, I'd just download it and use it. I figured that any client would be paying me enough to afford SC -- even under their old pricing scheme. I think you could rent the plug-in for a couple of hundred bucks. Although that's expensive, I'd take a $2,500 buyout and do the session. Of course, no such situation or opportunity has occurred. I think I got a Dongle laying around here, somewhere.

It's not the technology, it's getting work that counts.
billelder

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cool! And all for just half the monthly price of heating your home! Smile
Philip Banks
Je Ne Sais Quoi

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 2:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now to business. Who has earned a fee as a voice over using Source Connect?
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No money made by using SC, but I also haven't shelled out any cash for it. I downloaded the trial and gave it a spin and was satisfied with the quality. As has been touched on here, it's all about bandwidth... I consistently maintain 400kbps and above, so I'm not concerned about it, however it's the other end that matters in my situation!

It's worth noting, that it is bridgeable... unfortunately, bridging fees are crazy expensive, and it adds another piece of technology into the link which also increases the potential areas for problems.

I doubt that I'll be running out and buying it today, however if I get the request for ISDN tomorrow and the dollars and cents of it make sense, I probably wouldn't hesitate to at the very least rent it for a couple of days, especially since the rental rates go towards your eventual purchase).

If anyone is going to download the trial, I'd be happy to contact John and see if I can get another couple of days on my trial.

...... That is of course unless Frank wants to make his VOip solution available for testing Wink

Now, I'm off to troll the reaches of the internet to find the elusive casting agent with who my time and money is much better spent finding, rather than toiling away at debating the intricies of pieces of technology that do me no good if I don't have any paying clients with scripts for whom to use it. cool

Have a great weekend everybody!
Frank F
Fat, Old, and Sassy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Brian!

iSpeek is dealing with the same problems as SC - bandwidth. However, we have found a unique solution with some different codecs... for mono (Voice Over's only) iSpeek is soudning great! I am excited. For stereo and some other needs in the audio community - were are - well... "plagued" by the bandwidth problem... but are now able to work consistently with 256k DSL setups.

More to come... roll out is expected second quarter of 2006... wow, it's about time.

Frank F

Last edited by Frank F on Sat Feb 04, 2006 9:14 am; edited 1 time in total
brianforrester
Backstage Pass

PostPosted: Fri Feb 03, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very exciting Frank... I can't wait to see what you have in store!

Cheers,
Charlie Channel
Club 300

PostPosted: Sat Feb 04, 2006 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

brianforrester wrote:
Very exciting Frank... I can't wait to see what you have in store!Cheers,

Ditto. You know I'm ready to play!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    VO-BB - 19 YEARS OLD! Forum Index -> Gear ! All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: